Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CircleTech

2009 Mac pro no video

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey folks, looks like i'm having a problem with a Mac pro I just got from the scrapyard. 

I recently picked up one of the 2009 dual LGA 1366 Mac pros with no Video card and no Mass storage. The drive sleds, RAM, and CPU are all still there. you know, one of these:

Mac Pro 5.1 (2009) #7 — Big Little Frank

but I am having a problem entering the EFI, BIOS, or whatever the hell apple calls it.

My intention is to install windows on this machine and use it as a rendering server.

So here is the problem: I tried a Geforce GT 720 and a Geforce GT 520. Both of these GPUs give me the same problem. I get a black screen and that's it. Interestingly enough there is a video output present, because the video indicator on my monitor is turned on.

image.thumb.jpg.390cf47f2c9c5783aa827832a58f445e.jpg

So what's the problem? do I need to use a mac specific GPU like a Geforce GT 120? Or do I need to press a combination of buttons to reach the UEFI (I am on a PC keyboard). What's the problem?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

You don't access the UEFI on a Mac.

I would poke around for a Mac-compatible graphics card, those are fairly picky machines. Most Radeon cards are generally compatible, although a Mac from this era shouldn't care too much unless you're using anything more modern than Nvidia GTX 700-series hardware(Quadro support is basically nonexistent without some software/firmware modding).

Do you have any storage present? I've found Macs to be a little bit more picky about actually booting if there isn't a certain component installed.

Does it make any sounds when you power it on? There should be a chime when you hit the power button.

Are you using known good memory?

Are you using the right type of memory? If my memory serves me correctly, those things ran DDR3 ECC.

Honestly, seems like it's a mobo failure.

Try to borrow a Card specifically for Mac and try that, if that fails, I wouldn't put too too much effort into this one.

Interested in Business and Technology

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You don't access the UEFI on a Mac.

I would poke around for a Mac-compatible graphics card, those are fairly picky machines. Most Radeon cards are generally compatible, although a Mac from this era shouldn't care too much unless you're using anything more modern than Nvidia GTX 700-series hardware(Quadro support is basically nonexistent without some software/firmware modding).

Do you have any storage present? I've found Macs to be a little bit more picky about actually booting if there isn't a certain component installed.

Does it make any sounds when you power it on? There should be a chime when you hit the power button.

Are you using known good memory?

Are you using the right type of memory? If my memory serves me correctly, those things ran DDR3 ECC.

No storage is present.

I do get a chime when I power it on.

The memory is known good. It was installed with the machine. There are no red lights on the board indicating bad RAM.

I am using Micron DDR3 ECC Registered 1333MHz Memory. 

I guess i'll have to buy a GPU. What's the cheapest one you think I can use just to get some video out?

1 hour ago, CircleTech said:

No storage is present.

I do get a chime when I power it on.

The memory is known good. It was installed with the machine. There are no red lights on the board indicating bad RAM.

I am using Micron DDR3 ECC Registered 1333MHz Memory. 

I guess i'll have to buy a GPU. What's the cheapest one you think I can use just to get some video out?

HD 5450 comes to mind, but I'd take a look at what cards those systems shipped with and what you can get those for.

I would double check what it does with actual known good memory. It came from a scrapyard, I'm personally not 100% optimistic about what's currently in there.

Throw in some storage and see what it does as well.