Dvi Only GPU Outputs an Audio Signal. HOW??

iunkeren
Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,
Just now, iunkeren said:

Does that mean there are some exception to dvi port and dvi to hdmi converter? 

Interesting

I couldn't find this info on google

Wikipedia describes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#DVI_and_HDMI_compatibility

Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

So i bought used pc parts from multiple sources with these specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

Msi B350 tomahawk

2x4gb Vgen tsunami 3200mhz Ram

Rx 570 powercolor reddragon with dvi only as an output (mining edition) 

Monitor Dell S2216H

After i build it like anyone else i installed the gpu driver and then i updated the windows. And then suddenly the audio comes out from the monitor (yes the monitor has built in speaker). This is normal if i use the hdmi output from a normal graphics card. But the gpu that i'm using right now only has a dvi output. My question is HOW is this possible?? 

I should mention that im using hdmi cable from the monitor connected to hdmi to dvi converter on the gpu output. 

Any help is appreciated. I couldn't stop wondering about this haha. 

6 minutes ago, iunkeren said:

After i build it like anyone else i installed the gpu driver and then i updated the windows. And then suddenly the audio comes out from the monitor (yes the monitor has built in speaker). This is normal if i use the hdmi output from a normal graphics card. But the gpu that i'm using right now only has a dvi output. My question is HOW is this possible?? 

Some videocard manufacturers still place audio into DVI, despite that not being the default.

So that's how basically, they probably use some unused pins on the DVI side and thus can get audio working.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Interesting

Alright thanks for your help guys

Just now, iunkeren said:

Interesting

Wikipedia describes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#DVI_and_HDMI_compatibility

Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).[9] Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications.

19 minutes ago, iunkeren said:

Graphics cards can output HDMI signals through the DVI port, and HDMI signals include audio.