Radeon VII + B550 = blackscreens?

Ok so i did some deep digging. This is what i got for you.

Most of the steps are for Adrenalin, but shouldn't change much if you opt to try Pro

in bios change pcie from auto/gen 4 to gen 3

ddu driver in safe mode

reinstall/update chipset driver

(guess there is some problems with the driver linking to the chipset driver, so the chipset driver has been getting messed up or removed completely)

install driver

(chipset driver should be reinstalled/updated first)

(you can try either Adrenalin (recommend (WHQL))or Pro)( you should be able to use the newest of either, but feel free to try something older if you choose)

Make sure Radeon Enhanced Sync, Radeon Chill, Radeon Anti Lag and Radeon Boost is disabled in Adrenalin graphics settings.

over 120(aka 144 plus) lower to 120 in windows display settings

(when said and done you can try switching cables to display port or vise versa if there is still a problem)

(guess this is a big one and may fix your issues without having to go through all of this, but all steps are recommended)

(there has been problems with Adrenalin defaulting to 10 bit color this has been many black screens and/ crashes for people as many monitors are 8 bit or 6+x)

go to windows advance display settings to check color depth (bit rate)

make sure that Adrenalin matches

(This more of an optional thing and probably not needed, but im including it in case your gpu happens to downclock more than it should)

disable ULPS in the registry

(ULPS is used for crossfire and not needed)

• hit windows key + R to bring up run command
  • type in regedit, hit enter
  • go to edit-find
  • type in ULPS, hit enter
  • once it finds it right click on EnableUlps and go to modify
  • under value data if there is a 1 there change it to a 0 and exit

Other things to consider

Make sure all non-essential usbs are disconnected (i guess people have had conflicting somethings because of them)

Disable Bluetooth (same) 

Try using only monitor

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Ok so i did some deep digging. This is what i got for you.

Most of the steps are for Adrenalin, but shouldn't change much if you opt to try Pro

in bios change pcie from auto/gen 4 to gen 3

ddu driver in safe mode

reinstall/update chipset driver

(guess there is some problems with the driver linking to the chipset driver, so the chipset driver has been getting messed up or removed completely)

install driver

(chipset driver should be reinstalled/updated first)

(you can try either Adrenalin (recommend (WHQL))or Pro)( you should be able to use the newest of either, but feel free to try something older if you choose)

Make sure Radeon Enhanced Sync, Radeon Chill, Radeon Anti Lag and Radeon Boost is disabled in Adrenalin graphics settings.

over 120(aka 144 plus) lower to 120 in windows display settings

(when said and done you can try switching cables to display port or vise versa if there is still a problem)

(guess this is a big one and may fix your issues without having to go through all of this, but all steps are recommended)

(there has been problems with Adrenalin defaulting to 10 bit color this has been many black screens and/ crashes for people as many monitors are 8 bit or 6+x)

go to windows advance display settings to check color depth (bit rate)

make sure that Adrenalin matches

(This more of an optional thing and probably not needed, but im including it in case your gpu happens to downclock more than it should)

disable ULPS in the registry

(ULPS is used for crossfire and not needed)

• hit windows key + R to bring up run command
  • type in regedit, hit enter
  • go to edit-find
  • type in ULPS, hit enter
  • once it finds it right click on EnableUlps and go to modify
  • under value data if there is a 1 there change it to a 0 and exit

Other things to consider

Make sure all non-essential usbs are disconnected (i guess people have had conflicting somethings because of them)

Disable Bluetooth (same) 

Try using only monitor

the one thing i noticed is that when i put my monitor to 120hz, it automatically goes to 10-bit colors according to the windows displays menu. amd Adrenalin did not recognize this and said it was still on 8bit. i put it to 10bit in adrenalin and restarted, only to have it still blackscreen. tried everything here and its still the same result with latest Adrenalin driver.

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

4 hours ago, narrdarr said:

If event viewer isn't showing anything. Try running dxdiag.

dxdiag says that there are no problems.

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

3 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

the one thing i noticed is that when i put my monitor to 120hz, it automatically goes to 10-bit colors. amd Adrenalin did not recognize this and said it was still on 8bit. i put it to 10bit in adrenalin and restarted, only to have it still blackscreen. tried everything here and its still the same result with latest Adrenalin driver.

WTF!!! smashing head on wall right now. BRB

5 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

the one thing i noticed is that when i put my monitor to 120hz, it automatically goes to 10-bit colors. amd Adrenalin did not recognize this and said it was still on 8bit. i put it to 10bit in adrenalin and restarted, only to have it still blackscreen. tried everything here and its still the same result with latest Adrenalin driver.

Are you using DP or HDMII?

What happens if you change windows setting to 8 bit and Adrenalin to 8 bit @ 120hz?

what happens with 60hz-75hz? ect.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

Are you using DP or HDMII?

What happens if you change windows setting to 8 bit and Adrenalin to 8 bit @ 120hz?

what happens with 60hz-75hz? ect.

i use displayport.

i cant find an easy way outside of adrenalin to change bit depth; left it at 10bit

60hz there is NO blackscreen, but the game still freezes. i can alt enter it to window it and close it or just alt f4. 

11 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i use displayport.

i cant find an easy way outside of adrenalin to change bit depth; left it at 10bit

60hz there is NO blackscreen, but the game still freezes. i can alt enter it to window it and close it or just alt f4. 

well change is progress

what monitor do you have? acer xf270hu?

game freezes or the driver crashes? does event viewer show anything for that?

should be

windows logs -applications

or

windows logs--system

5 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

well change is progress

what monitor do you have? acer xf270hu?

game freezes or the driver crashes? does event viewer show anything for that?

should be

windows logs -applications

or

windows logs--system

yes i have a acer xf270hu 1440p 144hz ips freesync monitor. i've had it for a few years now and its been working perfectly.

so before when it would blackscreen, i would see in the taskbar 2 amd adrenalin symbols. i go to hover over them and one disappears, telling me that the driver had crashed and reloaded.

nothing in event viewer is sticking out as critical or anything except the time that using an older driver just restarted when there was a blackscreen.

22 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

yes i have a acer xf270hu 1440p 144hz ips freesync monitor. i've had it for a few years now and its been working perfectly.

so before when it would blackscreen, i would see in the taskbar 2 amd adrenalin symbols. i go to hover over them and one disappears, telling me that the driver had crashed and reloaded.

nothing in event viewer is sticking out as critical or anything except the time that using an older driver just restarted when there was a blackscreen.

interesting:

There should be an event if the game did indeed hang "freeze" or if the driver crashed

If freesysnc is on please turn it off.

What happen if you turn the monitor off and on when the game "freezes"?

Can we try a different DP port on the card?

Do you have any other cables to try? DP or HDMI

can we try 8 bit @ 60hz? ( in Adrenilan)

I know your stead fast that the monitor fine, but something else is happening here. If you are able to indulge my curiosity and try a different monitor.

6 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

interesting:

There should be an event if the game did indeed hang "freeze" or if the driver crashed

If freesysnc is on please turn it off.

What happen if you turn the monitor off and on when the game "freezes"?

Can we try a different DP port on the card?

Do you have any other cables to try? DP or HDMI

can we try 8 bit @ 60hz? ( in Adrenilan)

I know your stead fast that the monitor fine, but something else is happening here. If you are able to indulge my curiosity and try a different monitor.

everything in adrenalin was disabled except 10bit and it got me the results i posted before.

i've not tried turning the monitor off and on again. however given how it normally recovers itself after a few seconds i dont think its related. the monitor has been a constant between this and my previous threadripper build and as stated before, threadripper build shows 0 problems at all.

i could try hdmi but then i think i'd be limited to 70hz because its an older standard.

i will try 8bit 60 when i can. i cannot do anymore testing for today.

3 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

the one thing i noticed is that when i put my monitor to 120hz, it automatically goes to 10-bit colors according to the windows displays menu.

Does your display even support 10-bit color?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

56 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Does your display even support 10-bit color?

i went and looked it up on a acer forum. It does but the everyone over there seem to want to question it.

It supports 10 bit up to 120, 8 bit @ 144

I personally would like see what happens with a different monitor all together.

something not translating to the display correctly and no errors are generating in event viewer with "freezes" or "crashes"

Just now, narrdarr said:

i went and looked it up on a acer forum. It does but the everyone over there seem to want to question it.

It supports 10 bit up to 120, 8 bit @ 144

I personally would like see what happens with a different monitor all together.

something not translating to the display correctly and no errors are generating in event viewer with "freezes" or "crashes"

It really is strange,i once had a random black screen issues that recovers,i traced the problem to my HDMI switch,it was completely powered by the HDMI input from the graphics card and i also suspect that the bandwidth was not exactly up to spec...

It might be a similar issue to what i had.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It really is strange,i once had a random black screen issues that recovers,i traced the problem to my HDMI switch,it was completely powered by the HDMI input from the graphics card and i also suspect that the bandwidth was not exactly up to spec...

It might be a similar issue to what i had.

Yea i thought about too. did ask the OP the try different cables and ports on the cards.

I guess we will see what happens when he come back from being AFK

i have unplugged my smaller secondary dell monitor and moved the displayport of the main monitor to a different port. this is still the exact same cable that was perfectly fine running the radeon vii on the threadripper system. i could try hdmi but then i think i'm limited to 70hz without any adaptive sync.

i've also set adrenalin to run at 8bit, even though the windows display properties still have it at 10. still at 60hz.

played forza for a bit; actually lasted like 30 minutes this time, but it still blackscreened.

turning the monitor off and back on during the blackscreen didnt do anything.

when the system recovered, i immediately checked event viewer, and this time forza did throw an error as well as xbox game bar.

also in event viewer, this time showing as warning instead of critical or information, it says that the display driver has stopped working and had successfully recovered.

Just now, gameboy3800 said:

when the system recovered, i immediately checked event viewer, and this time forza did throw an error as well as xbox game bar.

Can you be more specific?,

We need as much detail as possible.

Just now, Vishera said:

Can you be more specific?,

We need as much detail as possible.

just edited post; it seems to definitely be a driver problem and not a hardware problem

1 minute ago, gameboy3800 said:

also in event viewer, this time showing as warning instead of critical or information, it says that the display driver has stopped working and had successfully recovered.

It's typical for the black screen issue caused by the AMD drivers.

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

but at least now i think we can narrow down that it is drivers related more than anything. i will try an hdmi cable just to exhaust all options.

but at least now i think we can narrow down that it is drivers related more than anything. i will try an hdmi cable just to exhaust all options.

I think that you AMD customers should sue them for that abuse,just how ignorant and incompetent can AMD get?

35 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I think that you AMD customers should sue them for that abuse,just how ignorant and incompetent can AMD get?

lol idk

i just tried an hdmi cable to the main acer monitor, and still blackscreened after only a minute. it was the only cable connected to the card.

then i tried to run only the smaller secondary dell monitor, and it still blackscreened after a minute. it was also the only cable connected to the card.

its either an amd driver issue or a gigabyte bios issue; maybe they dont expect anybody to run a card with 16gb of hbm2 on their ~$270 board.

its either an amd driver issue or a gigabyte bios issue; maybe they dont expect anybody to run a card with 16gb of hbm2 on their ~$270 board.

It doesn't make much sense...

21 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i have unplugged my smaller secondary dell monitor and moved the displayport of the main monitor to a different port. this is still the exact same cable that was perfectly fine running the radeon vii on the threadripper system. i could try hdmi but then i think i'm limited to 70hz without any adaptive sync.

jezz i thought we removed all extra monitors earlier like on page one.....

You say perfectly running as if you didn't have issues before. which you did and solved by not using a pigtail/daisy chain power to the gpu.

Thought we turned off Freesync....

Hdmi can do 144hz with the right type of cable, but most likely if you have any recent decent hdmi you cant do 120hz on hdmi. Even if it can only do 60hz, it doesn't matter.

We can enable all the extra features after the problem has been isolated and solved.

This makes me question how much information you have decided to cherry pick rather than fallow/try.

using a different cable

using a different monitor

and/or both

switching ports on the gpu( it does have three DP port?)

raising power limit for the card

raising voltage for the card

23 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i've also set adrenalin to run at 8bit, even though the windows display properties still have it at 10. still at 60hz.

played forza for a bit; actually lasted like 30 minutes this time, but it still blackscreened.

were you playing forzo at 8 or 10-bit?

did you try the opposite

27 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

turning the monitor off and back on during the blackscreen didnt do anything.

ok

28 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

what was the error for forza and xbox game bar

Any extra info for why the driver stopped working

side note:

xbox and xbox games are still considered beta. can you use a steam or maybe just run heavenly or valley?

23 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Not true. Hardware fails also make this happen. Example and a little secrete. Many times when blackscreens happen in lower end cards that have both digital and analog outputs the chip that sends the signal craps out you can switch outputs.  Say you were connected to hdmi(digital output) it black screens(sometimes or even permanently) you can switch to dvi-d or vga (analog output) and you up and running again.

I'm not 100% sure, but the hmdi might be on a different one.

23 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

uhm sure...

But your previous issue was power related still haven't got feedback about on raising the power limit or power limit and voltage. (think 20.xx.x locks these now, might need 19.xx.x)

Also not tested hdmi and/or a different monitor.

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Not going to happen. Fanboys ask for it and defend AMD.

-------------------

With all that said and out of the way it probably still is a driver issue

weather its the driver version, not regulating power correctly, a signal issues or something else. we wont know till these things are tested.

we still try the 8 steps listed and install the pro driver

extra testing has been done while i was typing so ignore related comments

Just now, narrdarr said:

Not true. Hardware fails also make this happen.

It doesn't make what i said not true,

display driver has stopped working and had successfully recovered.

That is indeed typical for the AMD driver issue,i have never said it doesn't happen in different scenarios or causes.

I helped AMD in the past debugging the problem...

So i know quite a lot about it.