There's a black widow in my pc

yeah so basically i went to clean my pc today and i found a black spider with a red hourglass hanging out on my graphics card. it is now hanging around the cable management in the back and im petrified. i immediately closed the glass panel and im debating what to do. will heat kill the spider? how the hell did it get in there? what are my options here? so far ive turned off my fans and im benchmarking constantly to attempt to kill it with heat. 

Edit: I called pest control and after they removed the spider, I tore apart my pc, removed all the webs and I can confirm there are no eggs. I put it back together, closed my window (where I assume it came from) and I think we're good now. Thanks for the help y'all.

also, will a spider corpse damage my mobo at all? not the biggest of my concerns, but i still hope to not destroy it.

Are you sure that the hourglass is not just the ghost of Windows Me trying to haunt you?

Anyway, the heat might not be effective at killing it, as it's possible it'll retreat to a cooler part of the case (or outside of the case entirely) and, as a result, will be harder to actually find. Also, it's unlikely that it'll even try to bite you.

You can probably get it out of the case with a can of compressed air. You don't risk static electricity, and it's pretty effective at convincing bugs to promptly evacuate an area you don't want them in. Inverting the can and spraying (basically doing what the can tells you NOT to do) can quickly freeze it, too, and the freezing liquid evaporates quickly.

Then when it leaves, remove it from your house. I'd just trap it in a glass and let it out (if it's not dead), but you can also kill it outright.

@skippy1130 Black widows like dark warm spaces, which is probably why she is in there (yes it is a she, males are small and not marked the same).

The heat will not kill her. I would suggest you take your case outside and see if you can dump out onto the ground, then remove everything from the case to make sure she did not lay an egg sack. If so use a vacuum cleaner to remove it properly. ( a vacuum cleaner would work on her as well ...)

For basic comparison the larger on is the Female. Females depending on which species will on average will grow to 1.5 inches.

See the source image

2 hours ago, skippy1130 said:

also, will a spider corpse damage my mobo at all? not the biggest of my concerns, but i still hope to not destroy it.

No, the likeliness is very remote.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Don't worry, bites will rarely cause death or produce serious complications!

31 minutes ago, thisisderpy said:

Don't worry, bites will rarely cause death or produce serious complications!

You absolutely need to seek treatment after being bit by one, regardless. Uncontrollable spasms and serious hypertension/stroke is no joke.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You absolutely need to seek treatment after being bit by one, regardless. Uncontrollable spasms and serious hypertension/stroke is no joke.

Oh, I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't seek medical treatment, just saying death isn't likely.

Just kill it,  A Bit of fly spray should sort it out.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There's one solution.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

8 hours ago, gloop said:

God, log onto the forums just expecting to answer some tech questions and @SansVarnic shows up with a picture of a massive spider, igniting my arachnophobia.

You DO know that the typical size of a female Black Widow is about 1½"/38mm long...

That ain't big... Theraphosa Blondi - THAT'S big.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

You DO know that the typical size of a female Black Widow is about 1½"/38mm long...

That ain't big... Theraphosa Blondi - THAT'S big.

Goliath bird-eater - Theraphosa blondi - tarantula. I'm looking ...

jesus christ

1 minute ago, gloop said:

Goliath bird-eater - Theraphosa blondi - tarantula. I'm looking ...

jesus christ

TOLD ya...

Cute, ain't it...?  :D

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

48 minutes ago, gloop said:

-snip-

jesus christ

1275681680230.jpg

The fact you found one in your PC, could also indicate that there are more in your home. I'm highly doubtful that the one Black Widow in your house found her way into your PC. I'd get an exterminator to vaporize the house with chemicals at the least, too. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I prefer jumping spider, it's cuter and funny :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

What region are you from? I'd burn my house and move far away if I ever found a black widow in my PC.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

Bats or ants nest would be worse i think... but I'm no expert.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, X-System said:

I prefer jumping spider, it's cuter and funny :)

I always get a few in my house around spring time, I’m always happy to see them, I always keep a few and make them a little enclosure.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Bats or ants nest would be worse i think... but I'm no expert.

Bat nest, eh, not really to scary to me, I find bats cute. Ants are annoying but are uh, *

”susceptible” to high psi pressure washers.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

4 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Bat nest, eh, not really to scary to me, I find bats cute. Ants are annoying but are uh, *

”susceptible” to high psi pressure washers.

There's a differtence between bats and flying foxes though. Flying foxes would be great news to me...

otherwise:

I guess the reference system would be Schmidt sting pain index. Bullet ant seems bad, at least from Coyote Petersons videos..

I edit my posts more often than not

I'd just vacuum it out.

I wouldn't spray bug killer in a pc case because bug spray can be flammable. 🔥

I wouldn't squish it in the case because depending on the size of it, squishy bug guts in your pc might just draw more bugs in the case (ants probably love squishy spider guts). 😄

9 hours ago, gloop said:

God, log onto the forums just expecting to answer some tech questions and @SansVarnic shows up with a picture of a massive spider, igniting my arachnophobia.

Just for you... hope this helps

348145812_SpiderGif.gif.57bafdd6029d828b63ab943a2b240b88.gif

Spoiler

2102809305____GraphicsFunnyOneLiners-SelectionofFunnyDemotivationalPosters.jpg.84a9aadb92f591ca07dd8bc1ea556997.jpg

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Just for you... hope this helps

348145812_SpiderGif.gif.57bafdd6029d828b63ab943a2b240b88.gif

Reveal hidden contents

2102809305____GraphicsFunnyOneLiners-SelectionofFunnyDemotivationalPosters.jpg.84a9aadb92f591ca07dd8bc1ea556997.jpg

I hate you.

jk obviously. pls no ban hammer

I live in Iowa, Black Widows are a thing.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I live in Iowa, Black Widows are a thing.

I live in the UK so the worst venomous thing here is an adder but from reading around is it true that though the bites can fucking hurt they not super lethal outside of the usual elderly, children and health issues crowd? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?