Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kjennings92

How To Play PS2 Discs On PS3? (Experienced Users/Owners Required!)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

That might be. But from what I researched on my own about a week ago, comparing a PS2 to PS3 does suggest you get a slight bump in performance or so. I'm not really sure if that's accurate or not; it's just what I read.

The performance is the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 5:37 AM, Kjennings92 said:

Well, the title pretty much says it all. As you would have guessed, I'd like to know how to play PS2 games on a PS3. (I'd prefer not to jailbreak unless it absolutely comes to it.) Even though I have done PLENTY of research into consoles & all that, I'll admit that I'm still confused about how you would be able to play physical PS2 games on a PS3. I have also done some web searches on the topic, but it seems like I'm getting some rather conflicting results... 

 

So, I figured the best way to find out is to simply ask & hope that someone with experience can help me out. If anyone needs anymore details or have questions for me about this, just drop me a line & I'll get back to you in a flash! 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :)

Only 1st Gen PS3's (read 1st , 1st gen consoles .. the 1st of the 'fat' consoles) are backward compatible. They removed the physical chip for PS2 emulation within a couple months to save money.


CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w | VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma |

GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC w/OC & Barrow Block | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P |

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a list of all PS3 models and their features:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

 

Only the release version has full hardware PS2 compatibility, and the first revision has partial emulation. Every model following had all physical PS2 compatibility removed due to cost savings. However, ALL PS3s have PS1 compatibility and have access to purchase PS1 and PS2 Classics through the PlayStation Store. I have a PS3 Slim I refurbished that I have hooked up to a CRT for the sole purpose of playing PS1 and PS2 classics. I just use an actual PS2 to play physical PS1 and PS2 games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, Kjennings92 said:

I've thought about Craigslist, but haven't gotten around to checking just yet as I've never bought anything thru them. I am aware of like the emulation (to a point) that exists out there for different platforms/systems. Also, I know I could just simply go with a PS2 for a PS2 game, but I'm actually aiming for a PS3 with backwards compatibility simply because of the better graphics performance you would get. So yeah, there's that. 🤷‍♂️

Like has been said, you won't get a performance boost. This isn't the XBox One backwards compatibility lol.

 

Dude, I really think a PS3 just isn't the way to go UNLESS you want to play PS3 games and you want a modded console. You may actually want to consider that route if you are willing to shell out the dosh. A lot of PS3 games have been undubbed which basically means modders have taken a game, removed the English voice acting and replaced it with the original Japanese voice actors/actresses.  Pretty freaking cool. It also opens the door to a lot of fansubs. But make sure you buy the original game before you do any of this so you aren't pirating.

 

You can find the PS2 pretty cheap if you look around. I see them in Goodwill fairly often for $20 or so. If it turns out the system doesn't work, Goodwill will take it back. I recommend getting a FAT version and then finding a network adapter. Unlike the Dreamcast Ethernet adapter, the PS2 ones are dead cheap. You can find them for under $20 if you buy a used one. Then just buy a Free MC Boot memory card for under $10 and then throw in a cheap IDE hard drive. Now you can install your PS2 games to the hard drive and play imports. 

I didn't even have to buy a hard drive because I'm a nerd and have 30-40 old ones just sitting in drawers so I just thew one in lol.

 

Play your cards right and you can do this all for under $100 USD vs the PS3 route where you are looking at around $300 give or take.

 

If you want to tinker, you could pick up a copy of MGS 3 Snake Eater and do the softmod yourself. That's the way I went.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Like has been said, you won't get a performance boost. This isn't the XBox One backwards compatibility lol.

 

Dude, I really think a PS3 just isn't the way to go UNLESS you want to play PS3 games and you want a modded console. You may actually want to consider that route if you are willing to shell out the dosh. A lot of PS3 games have been undubbed which basically means modders have taken a game, removed the English voice acting and replaced it with the original Japanese voice actors/actresses.  Pretty freaking cool. It also opens the door to a lot of fansubs. But make sure you buy the original game before you do any of this so you aren't pirating.

 

You can find the PS2 pretty cheap if you look around. I see them in Goodwill fairly often for $20 or so. If it turns out the system doesn't work, Goodwill will take it back. I recommend getting a FAT version and then finding a network adapter. Unlike the Dreamcast Ethernet adapter, the PS2 ones are dead cheap. You can find them for under $20 if you buy a used one. Then just buy a Free MC Boot memory card for under $10 and then throw in a cheap IDE hard drive. Now you can install your PS2 games to the hard drive and play imports. 

I didn't even have to buy a hard drive because I'm a nerd and have 30-40 old ones just sitting in drawers so I just thew one in lol.

 

Play your cards right and you can do this all for under $100 USD vs the PS3 route where you are looking at around $300 give or take.

 

If you want to tinker, you could pick up a copy of MGS 3 Snake Eater and do the softmod yourself. That's the way I went.

But comparing a PS2 against a PS3, the PS3's controller is better, right? If so, then a slight upgrade like that is IMO worth it. (Unless someone disagrees otherwise?) Either way, I know what I'm after.

Edited by Kjennings92
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

But comparing a PS2 against a PS3, the PS3's controller is better, right? If so, then a slight upgrade like that is IMO worth it. (Unless someone disagrees otherwise?) Either way, I know what I'm after.

I’ll be honest, both the DualShock 2 and the DualShock 3 are fairly dodgy controllers for most games that aren’t fighting games. Still, at least the DS3 is natively Bluetooth, whereas if you aren’t using the Katana controllers, you aren’t getting any official wireless DS2.


Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I’ll be honest, both the DualShock 2 and the DualShock 3 are fairly dodgy controllers for most games that aren’t fighting games. Still, at least the DS3 is natively Bluetooth, whereas if you aren’t using the Katana controllers, you aren’t getting any official wireless DS2.

Interesting. But in regards to my last question, I was talking about overall build-quality, feel, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a fat PS3 sadly my COD 4 MW disc was stuck in the blu-ray drive and bent the disc.  And the system could not be RMAed because the warranty expired.  So I waited until the PS3 Slim 160 GB model came out and I lost the backwards compatible for PS2 games.  However I still had my old PS2 1st gen model that last from it came out till 2016.  Then I bought another PS2 from Goodwill that has a poor disc drive.  I spend 80% of my time playing Socom 1/2/3/CA on my PS2 and the rest of my time on RPGs/Fighting/FPS's games for my PS2/PS3.  Plus if you have the Final Fantasy XI 40 GB HDD + FFXI the game for the PS2 it's easy to soft mod it for Linux and Free MC Boot.   

 

My gf still plays my PS2 for Beatmania and Dance Dance Revolution games.  And she still loves Odin Sphere for PS2 and Tales of The Abyss.  I just play Magna Carta - Tears of Blood/Crimson Stigmata and FF's/KH games.   Plus my FF collection for PS3/PS2 are complete.

 

I even got a collection of PS2 memory cards sadly my PS2 64 mb memory card isn't working properly.  I wasn't able to put my entire Socom Navy Seals online files on it because it would corrupt itself back in 2013.  So I sent it back to Datel and they sent me another one which did the same thing.  Don't get any 64 mb Datel memory cards.  Get the 32 mb ones or the official Sony 8 mb ones.  Also at Goodwill some guy left his Sony black memory card 8 MB in a FFX game case with the game.  And I got all the save games from FFX/FFXII/KH3 LOL.

 

And finally....I got a Gameshark and a Codebreaker discs.  I used to cheat a lot back in my PS2 era.  When I got bored kekekeke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

Interesting. But in regards to my last question, I was talking about overall build-quality, feel, etc.

I don't like the L2/R2 nearly as much on PS3 controllers as PS2; they feel mushier on DualShock 3. Though PS2 are wired, but they at least have long wires (about 11 feet if I remember right).

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

But comparing a PS2 against a PS3, the PS3's controller is better, right? If so, then a slight upgrade like that is IMO worth it. (Unless someone disagrees otherwise?) Either way, I know what I'm after.

Is it worth spending that much more just to be able to use PS3 controllers? The buttons feel a bit tighter sure, but other than wireless, you aren't going to be able to take advantage of motion features anyway. Personally, I prefer the extra weight of the DualShock 2 controllers and the feel of the plastic. It has a more premium feel.

 

You seem to really have your heart set on getting the PS3 for backwards compatibility alone which is just a huge waste IMO but it sounds like you don't want to drop the $300 plus on one either. I really think your only winning solution here is just to buy a PS2. You aren't going to get any extra performance from PS2 games on a PS3 and you won't get much advantage from using the PS3 controllers other than wireless. It just seems like a no brainer to get a PS2.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Is it worth spending that much more just to be able to use PS3 controllers? The buttons feel a bit tighter sure, but other than wireless, you aren't going to be able to take advantage of motion features anyway. Personally, I prefer the extra weight of the DualShock 2 controllers and the feel of the plastic. It has a more premium feel.

 

You seem to really have your heart set on getting the PS3 for backwards compatibility alone which is just a huge waste IMO but it sounds like you don't want to drop the $300 plus on one either. I really think your only winning solution here is just to buy a PS2. You aren't going to get any extra performance from PS2 games on a PS3 and you won't get much advantage from using the PS3 controllers other than wireless. It just seems like a no brainer to get a PS2.

 

 

 

This. Unless native HDMI and digital stereo audio capabilities are an absolute must for you, there's no reason in blowing a bunch of cash on a BC-model PS3. Hell, you can solve the wireless controller problem with a Free McBoot memory card and some software that allows you to use other controllers on a PS2 with a USB Bluetooth adapter. Hell, pretty sure that route also allows for DualShock 3 usage.


Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Is it worth spending that much more just to be able to use PS3 controllers? The buttons feel a bit tighter sure, but other than wireless, you aren't going to be able to take advantage of motion features anyway. Personally, I prefer the extra weight of the DualShock 2 controllers and the feel of the plastic. It has a more premium feel.

 

You seem to really have your heart set on getting the PS3 for backwards compatibility alone which is just a huge waste IMO but it sounds like you don't want to drop the $300 plus on one either. I really think your only winning solution here is just to buy a PS2. You aren't going to get any extra performance from PS2 games on a PS3 and you won't get much advantage from using the PS3 controllers other than wireless. It just seems like a no brainer to get a PS2.

 

 

 

Alright. It looks like you have made your points. I'll either go with a PS2 or a PS3 with backwards compatibility depending on what's available & how the current pricing is. And if any of wish to help me out further, be sure to look at the last page of this post that I decided to update as I'm now waiting for an answer or 2...: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always buy the official PS2 and PS3 controllers.  There's a lot of fake ones on ebay.  I had to order one from South Korea for my Black PS3 controller.  Because I wasn't able to get one locally or thru Amazon.com  Lucky I bought a SK PS3 controller that is an official one.  But it doesn't sync properly.  And the battery won't charge unless I use a short USB cord.  My official PS3 USB cable won't charge it for some reason.  And it's not broken or damage.

 

But I still love the PS2 controllers

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

But comparing a PS2 against a PS3, the PS3's controller is better, right? If so, then a slight upgrade like that is IMO worth it. (Unless someone disagrees otherwise?) Either way, I know what I'm after.

Let me introduce you to my little friend:

 

https://www.amazon.com/BROOK-GAME-CONTROLLER-SUPER-CONVERTER/dp/B07543W7XS

 

This thing lets you use a DS3 or DS4 on a PS2. I use a DS4 on mine. The main reason I use it is just how difficult it is to get good, clean DS2 controllers now. I have a pretty hefty load of DS4 controllers (7 or so) so I use them instead of messing up the 1 or 2 good DS2 controllers I have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just play on PC or PS2 over network?

The performance increase in PS2 games that I could imagine PS3 would do, would be things like loading times, which might stop the "Pop" effect some terrain might have. On PC could even use a Dualshock 3/4 with it. PS2 over network (Requires SMB 1.0 on Windows 10) loads a lot faster than disc.


Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Npiet1 said:

Why not just play on PC or PS2 over network?

The performance increase in PS2 games that I could imagine PS3 would do, would be things like loading times, which might stop the "Pop" effect some terrain might have. On PC could even use a Dualshock 3/4 with it. PS2 over network (Requires SMB 1.0 on Windows 10) loads a lot faster than disc.

I have no doubt in my mind that this could work. The only reason why I'm not doing it is because my pc doesn't have a disc player. Plus, I've always wanted to try out some of the consoles & handhelds anyway. So there's that. 🤷‍♂️ Hope you understand/respect my reasons. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 1:07 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

PS2 games won't look any better on a PS3 than they will on a PS2 over component. They look the same.

While it's true that the PS3 renders the games at the same resolutions as the PS2 (480i and 480p, not sure if could do 1080i output modes like with GT4), the de-interlacing and upscaling done on 480i games (it doesn't upscale titles set to 480p, and presumably titles set to 1080i as well) could indeed be better than that of one's current TV (after all, most inexpensive TVs aren't really concerned with comb filtering composite video, de-interlacing 480i, and what have you).  Hell, if we're speaking to PS1 games, some TVs can't even handle the 240p content in the PSX library, so a PS3 is an interestingly easy way to play those titles (it forces them to be rendered at 480i, which can be a problem in its own right sometimes).  More importantly though, the PS smoothing on the PS3 is actually a marked improvement over PS2 component output, and does away with a good amount of jaggies without a noticeable loss in sharpness; If you don't believe me, watch the My Life in Gaming video I posted.  Hell, my slim PS2 and my older Samsung HDTV don't always get along over component, unlike with my Gamecube: Katamari Damacy has strange dark vertical luminance bars over the image that I can't imagine are intended to be there.

As to the performance thing, I can't find anything to substantiate that, but to be fair, there are TON of PS2 HD remakes on the PS3 worth picking up, and those, for obvious reasons, do have increased performance and fidelity over the PS2 originals.  Some have been updated for the PS4 (with some third party titles on Xbox One and PC) as well, so that's worth keeping in mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, metaleggman said:

Hell, if we're speaking to PS1 games, some TVs can't even handle the 240p content in the PSX library, so a PS3 is an interestingly easy way to play those titles (it forces them to be rendered at 480i, which can be a problem in its own right sometimes).

Oh man, the PS1 is such a mess to talk about when it comes to making it work with modern TVs. Frankly, if that's something to talk about, the easiest option would either be a PS2 and an OSSC or a PSP. From what I remember, you can force PS1 games to display at 480p on the PSP and it does a great job with emulating the system in any case.


Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

 

 

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×