How To Play PS2 Discs On PS3? (Experienced Users/Owners Required!)

Well, the title pretty much says it all. As you would have guessed, I'd like to know how to play PS2 games on a PS3. (I'd prefer not to jailbreak unless it absolutely comes to it.) Even though I have done PLENTY of research into consoles & all that, I'll admit that I'm still confused about how you would be able to play physical PS2 games on a PS3. I have also done some web searches on the topic, but it seems like I'm getting some rather conflicting results... 

So, I figured the best way to find out is to simply ask & hope that someone with experience can help me out. If anyone needs anymore details or have questions for me about this, just drop me a line & I'll get back to you in a flash! 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :)

1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

Well, the title pretty much says it all. As you would have guessed, I'd like to know how to play PS2 games on a PS3. (I'd prefer not to jailbreak unless it absolutely comes to it.) Even though I have done PLENTY of research into consoles & all that, I'll admit that I'm still confused about how you would be able to play physical PS2 games on a PS3. I have also done some web searches on the topic, but it seems like I'm getting some rather conflicting results... 

So, I figured the best way to find out is to simply ask & hope that someone with experience can help me out. If anyone needs anymore details or have questions for me about this, just drop me a line & I'll get back to you in a flash! 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! :)

It only works on some 1st gen (fat) consoles. If you have a PS3 slim or super slim, they literally don't have the hardware to support it.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Launch units (and even then, only the 60GB units, if memory serves) have the hardware to play PlayStation 2 games. Sometime in 2008, Sony stripped out the PS2's CPU from the console, leaving only the GPU to be usable by the emulator. Eventually, Sony stripped out the PS2 backwards compatibility part of the PS3 completely.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

It only works on 1st gen (fat) consoles. If you have a PS3 slim or super slim, they literally don't have the hardware to support it.

TBH, I was expecting a more specific answer. But from what I have found out so far, certain sources have said that the 20 & 60 GB original launch models are capable since they have the PS2 chip. And that the 80GB models are either no longer compatible or full compatibility isn't guaranteed. Hopefully someone can confirm this. BTW, is there any easy way to narrow down which models are compatible just by say the model number(s)? I feel like I still have questions, but then again, I am by far, no expert when it comes to knowledge about video game consoles. 🤷‍♂️

you need one of a very specific few launch versions.

the ps3 that can play PS2 games have an SOC that is basically the entire PS2 on it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you need one of a very specific few launch versions.

the ps3 that can play PS2 games have an SOC that is basically the entire PS2 on it.

I'm not so good with my terminology these days. Can you define SOC so I will know what you're talking about?

12 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

TBH, I was expecting a more specific answer. But from what I have found out so far, certain sources have said that the 20 & 60 GB original launch models are capable since they have the PS2 chip. And that the 80GB models are either no longer compatible or full compatibility isn't guaranteed. Hopefully someone can confirm this. BTW, is there any easy way to narrow down which models are compatible just by say the model number(s)? I feel like I still have questions, but then again, I am by far, no expert when it comes to knowledge about video game consoles. 🤷‍♂️

Sure. Tail end of the serial number for 1st gen: ****-CECHX**

Values of X:

A/B: Full PS2 hardware support.

C/E: Partial Emulation of PS2, (Physical GPU, CPU emulated. Some games do not work properly)

Spoiler

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

Source:

Serial number location:

tNYoHM0.gif

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

I'm not so good with my terminology these days. Can you define SOC so I will know what you're talking about?

system on a chip.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

system on a chip.

Ah, I got you now. 

4 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Sure. Tail end of the serial number for 1gen: ****-CECHX-**

Values of X:

A-B: Full PS2 hardware support.

C/E: Partial Emulation of PS2, (Physical GPU, CPU emulated. Some games do not work properly)

Hide contents

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

Source:

Serial number location:

tNYoHM0.gif

This part is interesting. So I guess compatibility isn't really limited/determined by storage size; more like what model you have & all that. Makes sense. What about having 4 USB ports in the front though? I read that somewhere & I'm not really sure if THAT is actually a factor to consider or not. Can any of you confirm this for me?

Just now, Kjennings92 said:

Ah, I got you now. 

This part is interesting. So I guess compatibility isn't really limited/determined by storage size; more like what model you have & all that. Makes sense. What about having 4 USB ports in the front though? I read that somewhere & I'm not really sure if THAT is actually a factor to consider or not. Can any of you confirm this for me?

yeah 4 USB ports on a thick form factor should be a give away. card readers mean hardware onboard but that is only 1/4 that can have it

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

yeah 4 USB ports on a thick form factor should be a give away. card readers mean hardware onboard but that is only 1/4 that can have it

Hm. But to confirm though- if it has 4 USB ports in the front, then I assume I will have full compatibility unless found out otherwise?

Edited by Kjennings92

24 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

Ah, I got you now. 

The storage size is just an indicator of what hardware you have, which is the same as the 4 USB ports. This was only present on the fat units, and thus indicates either full or partial PS2 support. All 20 GB units were made with the hardware for full PS2 support. 60 GB units came with either full or partial support. 80 GB units were partial or no support.

This doesn't stop someone from taking a 20 GB unit and putting a higher capacity disk in, and it would retain the full PS2 support.

Assuming the motherboard hasn't been changed, the true indicator is the model number.

This also is an indicator of units susceptible to the yellow light of death.

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

The storage size is just an indicator of what hardware you have, which is the same as the 4 USB ports. This was only present on the fat units, and thus indicates either full or partial PS2 support. All 20 GB units have the hardware for full PS2 support. 60 GB units came with both full and partial support. 80 GB units were all partial support.

This doesn't stop someone from taking a 20 GB unit and putting a higher capacity disk in.

Assuming the motherboard hasn't been changed, the true indicator is the model number.

This also is an indicator of units susceptible to the yellow light of death.

So I guess to answer my own question then, 4 USB ports in the front WOULDN'T be an indicator if it has full support? Just go more by the model number to be absolutely certain? I think I'm learning some more here... 

1 minute ago, Kjennings92 said:

So I guess to answer my own question then, 4 USB ports in the front WOULDN'T be an indicator if it has full support? Just go more by the model number to be absolutely certain? I think I'm learning some more here... 

Yes, that's correct. Look for a CECHA or CECHB unit. If the sticker is missing, 20 GB units (CECHB) can be identified by black trim instead of chrome. I believe they lack WiFi.

Again, these are sensitive units to YLOD. Many have died through the years, and I'd recommend seeing them boot up before purchase.

Yes, that's correct. Look for a CECHA or CECHB unit. If the sticker is missing, 20 GB units (CECHB) can be identified by black trim instead of chrome. I believe they lack WiFi.

Again, these are sensitive units to YLOD. Many have died through the years, and I'd recommend seeing them boot up before purchase.

Got you. But easier said than done if you'll be buying off of Ebay, Amazon, OfferUp or Facebook Marketplace like I'll be. (Just haven't decided which 1 yet.) Nonetheless, I will keep all this in mind as I try to find what I'm after. I'd like to thank you all for reaching out & helping to clarify some of this for me! ^_^ 

In case you wanted to know a little bit more about the accuracy and what the PS2 backwards compatibility looks like between full hardware units and partial hardware units.  There's definitely some quirks and tips to know about it before jumping in.

6 minutes ago, metaleggman said:

In case you wanted to know a little bit more about the accuracy and what the PS2 backwards compatibility looks like between full hardware units and partial hardware units.  There's definitely some quirks and tips to know about it before jumping in.

Definitely a bit too technical for me, even though I don't mind. :) But I already learned what I needed to know above. Just gotta remember it all, by taking notes for later remembrance. ;) 🤷‍♂️

If you're in the US, the only two models you should be looking at buying are CECHA01 (60GB) and CECHB01 (20GB) if you want to play PS2 games on a PS3. Those are the only US PS3 models that will play PS2 discs worth a crap. They're also not systems I'd recommend because they're very prone to failure, much moreso than later models of PS3. If your TV has a component input you're better off buying a separate PS2. The picture will be every bit as good over component as it will be playing PS2 games on a backwards compatible PS3 over HDMI. Then buy a more reliable later model PS3.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you're in the US, the only two models you should be looking at buying are CECHA01 (60GB) and CECHB01 (20GB) if you want to play PS2 games on a PS3. Those are the only US PS3 models that will play PS2 discs worth a crap. They're also not systems I'd recommend because they're very prone to failure, much moreso than later models of PS3. If your TV has a component input you're better off buying a separate PS2. The picture will be every bit as good over component as it will be playing PS2 games on a backwards compatible PS3 over HDMI. Then buy a more reliable later model PS3.

Good advice, only problem I've had so far is actually trying to find the model I'm after & for a decent price. But I'm still trying. Also, I am located in the states, BTW.

7 hours ago, Kjennings92 said:

Good advice, only problem I've had so far is actually trying to find the model I'm after & for a decent price. But I'm still trying. Also, I am located in the states, BTW.

Yeah, they have gone up in value quite a bit. Seems like $250-$350 is going to be about what you'll pay. 

Since you live in the States, maybe try Craigslist. Someone who doesn't really know the market value might let one go cheap.

Also, are you just looking to play PS2 games or do you want a PS3 to play PS3 games as well? Just getting a PS2 to play PS2 games would be the cheapest and quickest option here if just playing PS2 games is your goal. PC emulation is also an option.

8 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Yeah, they have gone up in value quite a bit. Seems like $250-$350 is going to be about what you'll pay. 

Since you live in the States, maybe try Craigslist. Someone who doesn't really know the market value might let one go cheap.

Also, are you just looking to play PS2 games or do you want a PS3 to play PS3 games as well? Just getting a PS2 to play PS2 games would be the cheapest and quickest option here if just playing PS2 games is your goal. PC emulation is also an option.

I've thought about Craigslist, but haven't gotten around to checking just yet as I've never bought anything thru them. I am aware of like the emulation (to a point) that exists out there for different platforms/systems. Also, I know I could just simply go with a PS2 for a PS2 game, but I'm actually aiming for a PS3 with backwards compatibility simply because of the better graphics performance you would get. So yeah, there's that. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Kjennings92

1 hour ago, Kjennings92 said:

I've thought about Craigslist, but haven't gotten around to checking just yet as I've never bought anything thru them. I am aware of like the emulation (to a point) that exists out there for different platforms/systems. Also, I know I could just simply go with a PS2 for a PS2 game, but I'm actually aiming for a PS3 with backwards compatibility simply because of the better graphics performance you would get. So yeah, there's that. 🤷‍♂️

PS2 games won't look any better on a PS3 than they will on a PS2 over component. They look the same.

2 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

PS2 games won't look any better on a PS3 than they will on a PS2 over component. They look the same.

I know that. 🙄 I'm just saying the difference in performance would be worth it in this case.

21 minutes ago, Kjennings92 said:

I know that. 🙄 I'm just saying the difference in performance would be worth it in this case.

Difference in performance? I'm not aware of any difference. The PS3's with full compatibility use the same hardware as a PS2 to accomplish the task.

Difference in performance? I'm not aware of any difference. The PS3's with full compatibility use the same hardware as a PS2 to accomplish the task.

That might be. But from what I researched on my own about a week ago, comparing a PS2 to PS3 does suggest you get a slight bump in performance or so. I'm not really sure if that's accurate or not; it's just what I read.