Competitively Priced High-End TVs: Vizio's Upcoming 2020 Lineup

KnightSirius

Summary

Vizio has unveiled their latest 2020 lineup of TVs, with their high end models specs similar to offerings from LG and Sony (HDMI 2.1, 4K@120hz, eARC, FreeSync & HDR) but at a lower price. This is marks their first move into the OLED game.
Furthermore they've released updated models from their previously established series'.

Quotes

Vizio is on the precipice of shipping its first OLED TVs, after having made a name for itself as the gadget-maker that produces LED TVs that offer a particularly strong balance between cost and performance. The company has also just begun rolling out its annual lineup of LED TVs.

The OLED models will be pricy by most people's standards but slightly cheaper than entry-level sets from Sony or LG, which have been the only large-scale suppliers of OLED sets in the United States for a while now. Vizio plans to ship 55- and 65-inch models at $1,300 and $2,000.
Vizio has a much larger market share in the US than LG or Sony (it's third behind Samsung and TCL), so it could become the most popular OLED TV maker if these sets are as successful as its LED lineup. Most reviewers agree that Vizio's LED TVs are neither the cheapest nor the absolute highest quality—but they might be an optimal middle ground for many enthusiasts. Vizio looks to be aiming for a similar strategy with OLED.

- Arstechnica

Spoiler

Vizio-OLED.jpg

My thoughts

Been personally holding off buying a new TV specifically for this announcement, after their new lineup was teased in January at CES. Vizio is the king of the affordable but still high end TV market at the moment. If you have the money to go with an LG C series then this won't really interest you but otherwise they have some awesome offerings across the board.
Specifically they have support for a lot of new key features for Home Theatre & Gaming like HDMI 2.1, eARC, 4K@120hz, FreeSync and Proper HDR. Their past models have also had great input delay across the board which will likely be improved further with their "ProGaming Engine" features. Hopefully RTINGs will get some samples sent to them or buy a few units to test so we can see just how well they perform!

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/07/vizio-announces-plans-to-take-on-lg-sony-with-an-oled-tv-this-fall/

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

It's easy to make things cheaper when you're harvesting your customers data without them knowing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

It's easy to make things cheaper when you're harvesting your customers data without them knowing.

Always a mistake to let Smart TV's have access to Wi-Fi beyond updating firmware regardless of manufacturer. If you don't think others are collecting data too that's naive, only difference is they haven't been caught or are hiding in legal grey areas.

- Personal Rig -

ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

23 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

Always a mistake to let Smart TV's have access to Wi-Fi beyond updating firmware regardless of manufacturer. If you don't think others are collecting data too that's naive, only difference is they haven't been caught or are hiding in legal grey areas.

Didn't say they were the only one, did I.

Still, they were actually fined by the FTC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

50 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

So render all the networked apps on that tv useless? sounds nice

On 7/2/2020 at 5:39 PM, KnightSirius said:

What do you do with your TV that they are able to harvest your data? Do you do online banking and all your 'private' social media stuff on it? Regardless, if this is an issue, just buy a chromecast/Roku and stream using that.

27 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

What do you do with your TV that they are able to harvest your data? Do you do online banking and all your 'private' social media stuff on it? Regardless, if this is an issue, just buy a chromecast/Roku and stream using that.

Those are worse at selling your data and habits.

6 hours ago, ouroesa said:

What do I do? Nothing because I disable them. The functionality they provide to me is useless; as is anything a Chromecast or Roku could offer so it's irrelevant in my case.

If I were to use them they could harvest many things. Sony takes audio data used for voice commands. Just like Amazon home devices they're always listening waiting for those commands and Vizio was caught automatically opting user in to sending data letting them watch whatever your TV was displaying basically. Chromecast and Roku have many of the same and also different risks.

There is no stopping it, only mitigating it and making your data less useful. Everybody is tracking your habits, and building personalized profiles on you, and selling it to companies that maintain data sets used to further their own agendas. Why should I just roll over and let them harvest what they want? They reap the rewards and I get nothing. Pretty unfair deal. That's the issue I and most people care about mitigating not protecting my  "Banking and 'private' social media stuff". Clearly you don't really understand or care to understand what these issues are if you're tossing that line around.

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

1 hour ago, KnightSirius said:

What do I do? Nothing because I disable them. The functionality they provide to me is useless; as is anything a Chromecast or Roku could offer so it's irrelevant in my case.

If I were to use them they could harvest many things. Sony takes audio data used for voice commands. Just like Amazon home devices they're always listening waiting for those commands and Vizio was caught automatically opting user in to sending data letting them watch whatever your TV was displaying basically. Chromecast and Roku have many of the same and also different risks.

There is no stopping it, only mitigating it and making your data less useful. Everybody is tracking your habits, and building personalized profiles on you, and selling it to companies that maintain data sets used to further their own agendas. Why should I just roll over and let them harvest what they want? They reap the rewards and I get nothing. Pretty unfair deal. That's the issue I and most people care about mitigating not protecting my  "Banking and 'private' social media stuff". Clearly you don't really understand or care to understand what these issues are if you're tossing that line around.

That's too much of a tinfoil crackpot theory.

Yes SmartTV's call home. They all do. You can avoid that three specific ways:

1) Sandbox the Wifi/Ethernet so that it's not calling home. Only install the apps that you need and then turn off access to the Manufacturer's site from your cable/dsl/fiber router.

2) Don't use the smartTV features to begin with, never set WiFi up

3) Don't buy a smartTV. Buy a computer monitor.

Until there's an equivalent of a WRT54G moment with SmartTV's, this will never change. 

Your smartphone spies on you more than your TV does. It has to. Otherwise it doesn't know if you're allowed to use the wireless cell cites. Your SmartTV doesn't need to know anything to operate, and you can usually update firmware on them via USB anyway, so there's never a need for the SmartTV functionality. It's just the "smartTV tax" for buying a SmartTV.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

That's too much of a tinfoil crackpot theory.

Yes SmartTV's call home. They all do. You can avoid that three specific ways:

1) Sandbox the Wifi/Ethernet so that it's not calling home. Only install the apps that you need and then turn off access to the Manufacturer's site from your cable/dsl/fiber router.

2) Don't use the smartTV features to begin with, never set WiFi up

3) Don't buy a smartTV. Buy a computer monitor.

Until there's an equivalent of a WRT54G moment with SmartTV's, this will never change. 

Your smartphone spies on you more than your TV does. It has to. Otherwise it doesn't know if you're allowed to use the wireless cell cites. Your SmartTV doesn't need to know anything to operate, and you can usually update firmware on them via USB anyway, so there's never a need for the SmartTV functionality. It's just the "smartTV tax" for buying a SmartTV.

Tinfoil crackpot theory?
This is why I don't bother interacting online a lot. Everything seems to devolve into silly arguments when all I wanted was to share cool TVs I was personally excited about!

Anyways, I don't see how what you're suggesting/contributing is any different from what I said... we should be in agreement based on what you wrote.

1) Don't use the features, or just sandbox them (which I didn't mention cause I didn't wanna bother getting into that.)
2) Everything else spies on you anyway.

Also, your third option of buy a monitor is illogical, if you need a large format display you only have so many options so just follow your 2nd option and for all intents and purposes you have a computer monitor... and if you need a computer monitor, just buy a computer monitor...

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

40 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

Also, your third option of buy a monitor is illogical, if you need a large format display you only have so many options so just follow your 2nd option and for all intents and purposes you have a computer monitor... and if you need a computer monitor, just buy a computer monitor...

Large monitors exist.

https://www.cdw.com/search/Monitors-Projectors/Large-Format-Displays/?w=D8&ln=0&a2769=51036180

They're usually marketed as digital signage.

12 hours ago, Kisai said:

Large monitors exist.

https://www.cdw.com/search/Monitors-Projectors/Large-Format-Displays/?w=D8&ln=0&a2769=51036180

They're usually marketed as digital signage.

$2500 for an LG OLED, Okay. Oh and it still has webOS on it... So what exactly am I getting the benefit of here? On what planet would I buy that over an LG CXPUA [$2,396.99]? Also that's the only reasonably priced OLED unless you want to pay 5 grand for a 1080p non-HDR capable one LOL. and I'm sure this trend continues with older display tech as well.

Again... what is the point? Just being pedantic? You're limiting your options for no logical reason. Also the majority of these displays are not the ones consumers are expected to be buying so they have their own commercial "tax" on them, lack features, and may not have the same warranties you'd expect from a consumer model.

Anyways, I'm finished contributing to this conversation since it's not providing anybody any useful information.

- Personal Rig -

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

50 minutes ago, KnightSirius said:

$2500 for an LG OLED, Okay. Oh and it still has webOS on it... So what exactly am I getting the benefit of here? On what planet would I buy that over an LG CXPUA [$2,396.99]? Also that's the only reasonably priced OLED unless you want to pay 5 grand for a 1080p non-HDR capable one LOL. and I'm sure this trend continues with older display tech as well.

Again... what is the point? Just being pedantic? You're limiting your options for no logical reason. Also the majority of these displays are not the ones consumers are expected to be buying so they have their own commercial "tax" on them, lack features, and may not have the same warranties you'd expect from a consumer model.

Anyways, I'm finished contributing to this conversation since it's not providing anybody any useful information.

Look, I said they exist, I didn't say they were better than the TV model.

https://www.cdw.com/product/nec-multisync-75-ultra-high-definition-3840x2160-led-monitor/5139426?pfm=srh

"Raspberry Pi Compute Module"

https://www.cdw.com/product/samsung-50-premium-4k-uhd-hospitality-tv/5176062?pfm=srh

"Samsung's LYNK REACH 4.0 communications and content management solution"

https://www.cdw.com/product/philips-signage-solutions-q-line-55bdl3010q-q-line-55-class-54.6-viewa/5562930?pfm=srh

"CMND management"

Most of those signage displays are the exact same panel as the TV model, but have a different or absent computer module in it. Like that third one just displays images/video. Where as the above two are intended to be used with signage/hospitality control systems (eg they're in public places)

Don't expect anything more superficially different from the LG and Samsung signage monitors, they're basically the TV without the TV tuner parts, and some will have only one DP port on them instead of a host of HDMI and analog inputs.

• 2 months later...

I might be in the market to replace my old plasma TV by next year. The I have the following criteria that must be met.

• Must be QLED or OLED
  • No "smart" in my TV. I don't want android or any apps running inside the TV
  • Idealy should be just TV "monitor". 60 inch +
  • Reputable brand that just repackages Samsung or LG panels.

Give me options. I've been out of the TV market for about 10+ years now.