Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trik'Stari

Clever Pun: Ceramic SSD's.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Couldn't come up with a clever pun for the title.

Apparently ceramic cooled SSD's are a thing now?

af7N2KoJUbXuFSRyaKmTFP-320-80.jpg

Team Group is laying claim to offering the first SSD made with ceramic composite cooling materials, which sounds like an odd bragging point, but might have some actual merit. Hey, it's worked out well for pots and pans, so why not SSDs, right?

Unlike pots and pans, however, the goal with heatsinks on SSDs is not to cook anything (CPUs are better for cooking pancakes), but to keep the NAND flash memory chips underneath cool. This is especially important on those fancy new PCI Express 4.0 models that push faster sequential read and write speeds in the neighborhood of 5,000MB/s (and beyond). When things get too hot, performance throttles.

Source

I'm not sure what to make of this. I know some ceramics are ludicrously good at insulating against heat.

I look forward to the next edition of "Sh*t Manufacturers Say".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yes!!!

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I mean sure??? As long as its not a beryllium oxide ceramic lol. This honestly seems like more of a marketing gimmick than an actual problem being solved. Sure its better, but is the likely very small benefit really worth the extra cost? Probably not. This stuff was developed and is mostly used in high performance rf and microwave electronics mainly for its dielectric properties iirc. The marginal improvement in thermal performance isn't going to be worth the increase in cost for an ssd.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Inb4 aerogel heatsinks

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I'd like to see this vs regular copper sheet on same drive tested. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

So a similar material to some mobo heatsinks.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does flash need cooling as stated in the quote? I don't know if things have moved on, but my understanding is still only that the controller is the part that runs hot and can lead to throttling. Flash doesn't mind being somewhat warm, as long as you don't do what I did with the M.2 drive under a GPU 24/7 folding. It did not like that at all.

Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte RTX 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

VR system: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming, i7-6700T stock, Scythe Kozuti, Kingston Hyper-X 2666 2x8GB, Zotac 1070 FE, Corsair CX450M, Silverstone SG13, Samsung PM951 256GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, HTC Vive

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

38 minutes ago, porina said:

Does flash need cooling as stated in the quote? I don't know if things have moved on, but my understanding is still only that the controller is the part that runs hot and can lead to throttling. Flash doesn't mind being somewhat warm, as long as you don't do what I did with the M.2 drive under a GPU 24/7 folding. It did not like that at all.

Flash hasnt changed, this is just crappy marketing

Might be cool for themed builds, but the ceramic means nothing.

Edit: inb4 toilet-themed PC builds

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1TB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe (boot)

2TB Crucial MX500 SATA III (games)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

HyperX Stinger wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

Ceramic use in pans and pots is for non stick properties. Last time I checked, ceramics are highly scratch and heat resistant as in "resisting damage". I never heard of ceramics being particularly good at transporting or releasing heat...

On 7/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, Trik'Stari said:

I'm not sure what to make of this. I know some ceramics are ludicrously good at insulating against heat.

Probably a marketing gimmick more than anything, BUT, I'd just like to point out, that whatever ceramics they're using would be optimised for conducting heat rather than insulating.

The last thing you'd want to do is trap/reflect the heat of the controller against itself.

I don't know how well ceramic works relative to standard copper heatsinks, but they'll definitely be using it to leach heat off the small hot parts and spread it into something with more mass.

15 hours ago, porina said:

As matter of fact cooling the NAND flash module can reduce it's lifespan,it's better to let the NAND flash modules be warm at an optimal temperature range.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
3 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

Probably a marketing gimmick more than anything, BUT, I'd just like to point out, that whatever ceramics they're using would be optimised for conducting heat rather than insulating.

The last thing you'd want to do is trap/reflect the heat of the controller against itself.

I don't know how well ceramic works relative to standard copper heatsinks, but they'll definitely be using it to leach heat off the small hot parts and spread it into something with more mass.

I didn't know if they had ceramics designed specifically for that. I know ceramic bakeware has a reputation for heating very evenly.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

As matter of fact cooling the NAND flash module can reduce it's lifespan,it's better to let the NAND flash modules be warm at an optimal temperature range.

I don't understand that from a physical level.

Who needs ceramics if you have chewing gum ;)

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Hi

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I don't understand that from a physical level.

And for that we have tech Jesus:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

And for that we have tech Jesus:

-snip

I should have known he would hold the answers.

So a ceramic heatsink for the controller, with ceramic insulators for the nand would be preferable.

I wonder if the sheer volume of air movement in my case could cause issues with my single NVME drive.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

with ceramic insulators for the nand would be preferable.

Ceramics only insulate electricity,they are excellent at conducting heat.

So using ceramics will still pull the heat from the NAND,I would just let the NAND run without it.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, Techstorm970 said:

Edit: inb4 toilet-themed PC builds

Noctua builds cover the brown part of the toilet, so there's that

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Voted Most Offensive and Most Idiotic 5 Years in a Row!

Volume / Normalized 100% / 100% (content loudness -0.1dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

For a long time, there's been extensive R&D into ceramic coating the crowns of piston heads. Because ceramic is both a thermal insulator and good at reflecting thermal energy, it drastically reduces energy from the combustion phase at TDC (top dead center) from being absorbed through the piston. This means an engine can run more efficiently. The big problem however is longevity of the coating which is why you don't see it mass-produced in your average vehicle. So, still very much experimental with a limited lifespan. It's a non-issue for racing where it will be torn down and rebuilt at some point anyways.

25 minutes ago, StDragon said:

For a long time, there's been extensive R&D into ceramic coating the crowns of piston heads. Because ceramic is both a thermal insulator and good at reflecting thermal energy, it drastically reduces energy from the combustion phase at TDC (top dead center) from being absorbed through the piston. This means an engine can run more efficiently. The big problem however is longevity of the coating which is why you don't see it mass-produced in your average vehicle. So, still very much experimental with a limited lifespan. It's a non-issue for racing where it will be torn down and rebuilt at some point anyways.

I did not know that. Kind of awesome.