Epic games launcher running on dedicated GPU despite changing default to iGPU

Hi. for some reason epic games launcher has defaulted to running on my dedicated GPU (GTX 1050). I've changed the settings in Nvidia Control panel to ensure that it runs on integrated GPU as well as setting the preferred GPU to integrated in the global settings panel. However, Epic games launcher still decides to run on my dGPU. Its quite annoying and i dont feel comfortable with my GPU running for prolonged periods since i leave my laptop on overnight to update programs and i dont like to leave it plugged in that long
Thanks 

Leaving a modern laptop plugged in is no issue. Back in the days of Ni-Cd laptop batteries it was a big problem, but for modern lithium ion batteries there is no harm done by leaving them plugged in, and many charging circuits even have measures built in to mitigate the issue even further.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

9 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Leaving a modern laptop plugged in is no issue. Back in the days of Ni-Cd laptop batteries it was a big problem, but for modern lithium ion batteries there is no harm done by leaving them plugged in, and many charging circuits even have measures built in to mitigate the issue even further.

oh okay. Didnt know that. Thank you.

So im guessing nothing can be done about switching the app over to the iGPU?

5 minutes ago, ssblank said:

oh okay. Didnt know that. Thank you.

So im guessing nothing can be done about switching the app over to the iGPU?

If you've already swapped it over both in Windows and in the Nvidia control panel, not that I can think of.

Edit: Have you tried minimizing the launcher while updating? This may not run it on the iGPU, but if it's not rendering anything then it isn't using the dGPU either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

If you've already swapped it over both in Windows and in the Nvidia control panel, not that I can think of.

Edit: Have you tried minimizing the launcher while updating? This may not run it on the iGPU, but if it's not rendering anything then it isn't using the dGPU either.

Yeah i keep it minimized to the taskbar when im not actively using it but it still shows up as running on the "Nvidia GPU activity app"

• 1 year later...