Logitech G502 Lightspeed - 6 Month Review Update

Go to solution Solved by Oswin,

Hello there, this is a 6 month update of my previous review, and this will most likely be my final update (atleast for now), happy reading!

After using this mouse for 6 months the more it shows how versatile it is. This mouse is packed with a lot of features both for gaming and for productivity purposes. One thing I find myself using quite a lot is the tilt scroll. I tried comparing it to my G602, only to then realise how useful the tilt scroll is, especially in photoshop, on long documents, and websites. And with that, the infinite scroll wheel is definitely nice to have though it isn’t really a must have feature imo (but yet again, this does make a G502 a G502). I still use this mouse mainly for gaming, I now tend to use a fingertip grip more than claw gripping because I find it more comfortable gripping it this way. Considering how heavy this mouse is, aiming isn’t really as hard thing to do with this mouse (if you can properly grip it without the size and shape being much of a hindrance). It's easy to grip with the rubberized sides and tracking was never really an issue with the HERO sensor.

Were there any issues that developed? Not really. This mouse is still in pretty good condition, it did not develop any double clicking issues nor click and drag issues (safe to say double clicking won't happen on all units sold by Logitech, so this shouldn't really be a dealbreaker). Also, i have never experienced issues with the wireless technology, no stutters, no lag, so my statement of it being indistinguishable from wired mice still stands. The only issue I find with this mouse is still with the software. G Hub still has a number of issues even with the updates, I really do hope Logitech will perfect their software at some time in the future (and based on their recent update, it seems that they are on the right direction).

Also, I had 1 thing that i forgot to mention, please don't lose the cable, while it does use a micro usb cable, most won't likely fit due to the design of the charging port on this mouse being placed deep unlike other Logitech mice.

Spoiler

1495524.thumb.jpg.806d86ad3b74b78546e0bea78f07ee3c.jpg

Lastly, i never really given an actual detailed rating on this mouse so here it is

Build Quality: 9
Sensor: 10
Features: 8 
Battery Life: 8 (mostly because it charges pretty quick) 
Connectivity: 9
Software: 4
Price: 3 (for people who actually want a proper fps mouse) 8 (for people who are looking for a great versatile mouse)

This is my first written review in this forum! Feedbacks are appreciated, will try and keep this updated in the future

Contents:

1. First Impressions
  2. Specs
  3. What You Get Inside the Box
  4. Shape & Weight 
  5. Sensor
  6. RGB & Buttons!
  7. Connectivity & Battery Life
  8. Software
  9. Conclusion

1. First Impressions

I have owned several mice from Logitech, safe to say, this is the most expensive mouse i have ever used. The G502 is regarded to be one of the most successful gaming mouse to be produced, but the G502 Lightspeed is my first G502. At first glance the G502 lightspeed looks like any other G502, with the obvious difference of not having a cable. Unboxing the G502 to me, feels like unboxing a flagship smartphone, premium, with a feeling of "i know i spent a lot on this thing". I bought this mouse for roughly $140 US which is rather cheap considering how hard it is to get and is currently selling for $158 right now (before shipping) in my country. The G502 Lightspeed isn't officially released in Indonesia so i got mine imported from Logitech HK, which took 17 days to be delivered. To be honest i don't know exactly where this mouse sits in the "gaming mice" family, is it an FPS mouse? is it an MMO mouse?, but i'd say it can do a little bit of everything, even for productivity. 

2. Specs

Spoiler
  • Height: 132 mm (5.2 in)
  • Width: 75 mm (2.95 in)
  • Depth: 40 mm (1.57 in)
  • Weight: 114 g (4.3 oz) mouse only
  • Optional extra weights: up to 16 g
  • Sensor: HERO™
  • Resolution: 100 – 16,000 DPI
  • Zero smoothing/acceleration/filtering
  • Max. acceleration: > 40 G
  • Max. speed: > 400 IPS
  • USB data format: 16 bits/axis
  • USB report rate: 1000 Hz (1ms)
  • Wireless report rate: 1000 Hz (1 ms)
  • Wireless technology: LIGHTSPEED Wireless
  • Microprocessor: 32-bit ARM
  • PTFE Feet: 250-km range
  • Default lighting: up to 48 hours
  • No lighting: up to 60 hours
  • Hyper-fast scroll wheel
  • POWERPLAY compatible
  • Onboard memory
  • LIGHTSYNC RGB: 2 zone
  • Mechanical Button Tensioning System

*specs are taken from the official Logitech website

3. What You Get Inside the Box

Spoiler

1445522.thumb.jpg.e2ce925132fc86776bf7bcbadea11cb1.jpg

• G502 Lightspeed
  • Lightpspeed  wireless receiver
  • Receiver extension adapter
  • Charging/data cable
  • Accessory box
  • 4x 2g Weights
  • 2x 4g Weights

4. Shape & Weight

Spoiler

1336550.thumb.jpg.897d0ae66a171e565cee16af00453598.jpg

The G502 Lightspeed feels just like any other G502 but without having a cable to drag around. My hand is 18 cm (L) and 10 cm (W) i use claw/fingertip grip for when i am gaming and palm whenever i am not gaming. This mouse is better suited for people with bigger hands and of course right handed users, though if you have smaller hands you can still palm it (though there are better options than this). My thumb rest nicely at the rather small thumb rest and my pinky barely touches the mousepad whenever i decide to palm it. I would also recommend always using the 1-2-2 (1 finger on the left-2 at the top-2 at the right) grip, a 1-3-1 grip just feels odd to me since the right side of the mouse is rather big and i never felt comfortable lifting it considering how heavy it is.

The G502 Lightspeed is a heavy mouse, but Logitech had done a good job to keep it lighter than its wired counterpart using techniques that they used in the G Pro Wireless. This mouse weighs about 114 grams (which is 7 grams lighter than the wired version). i would advise against using the weights, mainly because i play FPS and would like to keep the mouse lighter, but i understand some will add them because they like a bit more weight in the mouse.

5. Sensor

The G502, uses the HERO sensor, the latest and greatest from Logitech. For the most part i use this mouse to play cs:go, and never had any problems with it. I mainly play as an AWPer (to those who dont play cs, its a sniper role) and it tracks every flick with great precision and is always consistent and it never spins out, safe to say it has 0 mouse acceleration (which is what i'd expect from a top sensor). I mainly play at 800 DPI and never change it. Lift of distance is also not an issue, as it is under a dvd. The surprising thing that i found out that this mouse also tracks on glass, though i'd rather not use it on a glass surface. 

6. RGB & Buttons!

The Mouse has 2, and only 2 lighting zones, nothing spectacular but it gets the job done. I personally set it to 15% brightness and leave only the logo to be illuminated to have the nice blend of still having rgb and good battery life.

The G502 has a total of 11 programmable buttons, the sniper button is a bit too far ahead and for the most part i don't use it, changing DPI mid game isn't something it should do, thats the job of the buttons beside the left click, so i assigned it to do something else (its the only button i assigned to do a different thing other than what it was intended to do). the infinite scroll wheel is nice (especially when you need to scroll through a long document/website) , while also having the ability to scroll from left to right. I have heard multiple stories from people having double clicking issues on newer Logitech mice, though it is currently non existent on my G502, only happened to me once on a 4 year old secondhand G602 that i bought from a friend.

7. Connectivity & Battery Life

The G502 uses the Logitech Lightspeed technology, its basically indistinguishable from wired mice, and yes, its that good and there's not much to say about it. If for some reason you still like it wired then you can still use the included cable (though that defeats the purpose of the actual product, you might as well get the wired version for way cheaper). 

The battery on this mouse is good, but not great. I use it for 8-10 hours a day daily and have to charge it once every 2 weeks. The mouse charges really fast using a USB 2.0 connection, haven't tested how long it exactly took to charge but it goes from 10-100% in an hour or less. You can still game while charging, though keep in mind that cable drag is now present.

8. Software

The G502 Lightspeed uses the Ghub software, and it sucks, it's probably the worst part about this product. I have had to reinstall the software 3 times over the last couple of months due to it being stuck on the loading page, or not recognizing my mouse at all. The good thing is that this mouse does have on board memory, so you can just save it on the mouse and uninstall the software. On the bright side, the software does look promising but it needs a lot of love to be completely polished.

9. Conclusion

In conclusion, to me the G502 Lightspeed is just another G502, nothing groundbreaking. Would i recommend it for competitive FPS? absolutely not, there are a lot of better and cheaper options out there (like say the G305, the Glorious Model D, etc.). But would i recommend it for someone who likes a heavy mouse and likes to game casually? yes, 100% it ticks all the boxes to be a great heavy mouse without actually being a brick. and it is still a gaming mouse with great specs. To close things off the mouse has a top of the line sensor, good battery life, RGB, wireless, infinite scroll wheel, buttons! lots of them, and a shape that has been liked by so many.

Overall i would rate this mouse an 8/10.

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

15 hours ago, Oswin said:

The G502 Lightspeed feels just like any other G502

15 hours ago, Oswin said:

the G502 Lightspeed is my first G502

Were you testing them in the shop?

7 hours ago, Dravinian said:

Were you testing them in the shop?

i tested my friend's G502

*p.s thanks for pointing that out didnt actually finish the setence, was writing this while feeling sleepy :D

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

• 2 weeks later...

great tech review, keep this up and you just might get a job with it one day

@Johnny-Boi or DM me on discord

@King of Reeeeee Land#9814  

PC is a work in progress, open to any tips and suggestions with ways listed above 😉

Just now, Johnny-Boi said:

great tech review, keep this up and you just might get a job with it one day

thank you :D 

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

• 1 month later...

Hello there, this is a 6 month update of my previous review, and this will most likely be my final update (atleast for now), happy reading!

After using this mouse for 6 months the more it shows how versatile it is. This mouse is packed with a lot of features both for gaming and for productivity purposes. One thing I find myself using quite a lot is the tilt scroll. I tried comparing it to my G602, only to then realise how useful the tilt scroll is, especially in photoshop, on long documents, and websites. And with that, the infinite scroll wheel is definitely nice to have though it isn’t really a must have feature imo (but yet again, this does make a G502 a G502). I still use this mouse mainly for gaming, I now tend to use a fingertip grip more than claw gripping because I find it more comfortable gripping it this way. Considering how heavy this mouse is, aiming isn’t really as hard thing to do with this mouse (if you can properly grip it without the size and shape being much of a hindrance). It's easy to grip with the rubberized sides and tracking was never really an issue with the HERO sensor.

Were there any issues that developed? Not really. This mouse is still in pretty good condition, it did not develop any double clicking issues nor click and drag issues (safe to say double clicking won't happen on all units sold by Logitech, so this shouldn't really be a dealbreaker). Also, i have never experienced issues with the wireless technology, no stutters, no lag, so my statement of it being indistinguishable from wired mice still stands. The only issue I find with this mouse is still with the software. G Hub still has a number of issues even with the updates, I really do hope Logitech will perfect their software at some time in the future (and based on their recent update, it seems that they are on the right direction).

Also, I had 1 thing that i forgot to mention, please don't lose the cable, while it does use a micro usb cable, most won't likely fit due to the design of the charging port on this mouse being placed deep unlike other Logitech mice.

Spoiler

1495524.thumb.jpg.806d86ad3b74b78546e0bea78f07ee3c.jpg

Lastly, i never really given an actual detailed rating on this mouse so here it is

Build Quality: 9
Sensor: 10
Features: 8 
Battery Life: 8 (mostly because it charges pretty quick) 
Connectivity: 9
Software: 4
Price: 3 (for people who actually want a proper fps mouse) 8 (for people who are looking for a great versatile mouse)

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler