spontaneous glass shatter

ki8aras

yesterday i started building a pc for my dad for work, the specs are irrelevant but i will post them if enough people ask for it

i had built the pc in a corsair 275r airflow case, not the best of them but certainly not the worse

i finished the build at about noon and i was out for the day so nobody else disturbed the computer as its in the basement in a closed off room

this morning i came down to install some drivers only to find out that the tempered glass side panel had been completely destroyed(luckily i hadnt removed the plastic so cleanup was fairly easy as it was one huge chunk of broken glass)

my question is, does stuff like this tend to happen??

ive never heard of anybody having a similar experience

That's the punishment for not peeling the plastic :) (just kidding).

3 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

my question is, does stuff like this tend to happen??

Yes, tempered glass can spontaneously explode or it might take something as little as a fly farting near the glass. Tempering is a process in which the glass is compressed and accumulates a lot of internal tension and this tension, if there are any imperfections or the glass has been installed improperly, can cause the tension to relieve itself like this.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Korben said:

That's the punishment for not peeling the plastic :) (just kidding).

it doesnt really matter since my dad plans to stuff 2 2080 ti's in there(or a newer equivalent) so he would porbabyl remove the panel for airflow reasons but oh well

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, tempered glass can spontaneously explode or it might take something as little as a fly farting near the glass. Tempering is a process in which the glass is compressed and accumulates a lot of internal tension and this tension, if there are any imperfections or the glass has been installed improperly, can cause the tension to relieve itself like this.

well crap

maybe there was someone in there and stumbled on it.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:15 AM, ki8aras said:

Unlikely given its placement

Tempered glass is under constant internal stress especially at the edges, it's tempered to make it very strong and resistant to scratches, but brittle. Shattering with no outside forces such as a bump or an impact has happened before but is very uncommon and is considered by most manufacturers to be a defect. 

You can likely get Corsair to send you a replacement panel (@Corsair Nick @CorsairBrian ) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Tempered glass is under constant internal stress especially at the edges, it's tempered to make it very strong and resistant to scratches, but brittle. Shattering with no outside forces such as a bump or an impact has happened before but is very uncommon and is considered by most manufacturers to be a defect. 

You can likely get Corsair to send you a replacement panel (@Corsair Nick @CorsairBrian ) 

ill ask my dad i he wants to rma but even if offered one i dont think he'd take advantage of it

It's not a common issue that happens, but I've seen it before, even in other applications using tempered glass.  Hopefully everything is ok, and wasn't a huge pain to clean.  If you haven't done so already, go ahead and make a support ticket on our website, and I can have one of our technical support agents reach out to you for a replacement side panel.  If you already put in a ticket, PM me your ticket number, and I can escalate it within their team.

https://support.corsair.com/

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

On 7/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, Corsair Nick said:

It's not a common issue that happens, but I've seen it before, even in other applications using tempered glass.  Hopefully everything is ok, and wasn't a huge pain to clean.  If you haven't done so already, go ahead and make a support ticket on our website, and I can have one of our technical support agents reach out to you for a replacement side panel.  If you already put in a ticket, PM me your ticket number, and I can escalate it within their team.

hi, sorry for not replying in a timely manner, should i list the support ticket under RMA?

Yeah, just send over the support ticket number on your RMA to my PM, unless they have already approved the RMA.  It's usually about 7-8 numbers long and I believe it's listed at the top of the ticket.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out: