Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMI4tth3w

Sysracks 18U Gaming Rack Build

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone!

Very excited to begin this build log/upgrade for my "Gaming Server Rack". 

It will be featuring the following current hardware:

 

So now that we got that out of the way, where am I at with this?

Well, all of this was originally hooked up (and still mostly is) on a 25U? open frame rack. It sits next to my desk. Its loud and ugly, and with the kiddos getting bigger (1month/2.5year) i want something to protect the goods.

I saw a post on reddit with a really sexy looking rack, and after seeing the prices at sysracks, i was sold. Now my server chassis are too big for the sleek under desk rack, but i'm still very happy with my big boy rack.

 

Right now i'm just waiting on the supermicro rails so i can move everything over in one fell swoop.

 

Also really excited to hook up the 1080 radiator to the gaming pc loop. I'm a little nervous about a single D5 pump having to move all that water but we'll see how it does. I might throw another pump in series on the server rack for good measure, although i'll have to come up with a way to only run it at the same time as the gaming pc. Another option is to do dual pumps in the gaming pc and move the reservoir to the server chassis (probably a better solution).

 

I'll get more pics soon, but here's where things are at:

IMG_5812.thumb.jpg.254c4066c5b52dee204aa79014e6b3d2.jpg

IMG_5805.thumb.jpg.4a18fb48848a8c252f965a2119cb340f.jpg

IMG_5807.thumb.jpg.ce87e66577ad2566b0b30ec40daad4f0.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd use the intel 660p nvme drives for games, and use something with more endurance (wd sn550, sn750 for example) and better nand memory for caching.

I'd throw away (or just remove) that 250 GB wd blue drive, just producing heat and wasting electricity at this point.

 

Get a 10g switch and a bunch of 10g cards and some dac cables and connect everything on 10g, then connect this switch to your netgear stuff with the 1g connection.

 

Could probably find other things to nitpick but I've gotta go to work.

 

Looks good otherwise, not a huge fan of how those tubes come out but if they work it's fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd use the intel 660p nvme drives for games, and use something with more endurance (wd sn550, sn750 for example) and better nand memory for caching.

I'd throw away (or just remove) that 250 GB wd blue drive, just producing heat and wasting electricity at this point.

 

Get a 10g switch and a bunch of 10g cards and some dac cables and connect everything on 10g, then connect this switch to your netgear stuff with the 1g connection.

 

Could probably find other things to nitpick but I've gotta go to work.

 

Looks good otherwise, not a huge fan of how those tubes come out but if they work it's fine.

 

Thanks for the feedback!

The 660p drives have so far been pretty good as they run in Raid 0. Picked them up on sale for $90 a piece. Not the fastest things ever, but they do the job. I'm not really doing many large file transfers anyways. Which brings me to 10g ethernet. I just don't have the need as i'm not moving large files. I'll re-evaluate next year.

 

i do agree on the unused drives. They definitely need to go. Since they are unmounted (and presumably discs aren't spinning) i don't suspect they are using much power. Hence, i haven't bothered to remove them yet.

 

The tubes are just temporary (should only be like that during service). They will connect to the radiator in the new chassis (which also has quick connects. i'll get pics tomorrow).

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you only have two things to connect, just connect 10g nics directly without switch, if you find need later. 

 

I would wonder if load times from games over 10g on server like that would be ssd like from similar sequential or hdd like from io bottlenecks.  

Local hdd for games is faster then gig lan, 10g lan with enough disks is faster then sata ssd in some specs, just not sure if it would show up outside of large files.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, Sophia_Borjia said:

If you only have two things to connect, just connect 10g nics directly without switch, if you find need later. 

 

I would wonder if load times from games over 10g on server like that would be ssd like from similar sequential or hdd like from io bottlenecks.  

Local hdd for games is faster then gig lan, 10g lan with enough disks is faster then sata ssd in some specs, just not sure if it would show up outside of large files.

Lawrence did a review of a FreeNAS mini used for this purpose and the load times and experience were equivalent of a local SSD.   However, I'd be a lore more skeptical of Unraid being able to deliver the same experience.  


Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Workstation/VM - Intel 5960x | Asus Strix X99 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB | EVGA 1060 | Samsung 960 Evo 512GB | Corsair 540 Air | Corsair H115i | XFX 750W | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay i've got some updates!

 

Here's a couple pics of the inside of the Unraid Server. I don't think i could put another Noctua fan in there if i tried.

IMG_5837.thumb.jpg.287b9ccafe84f435ef77a4d4cadc0f37.jpg

IMG_5839.thumb.jpg.7a0745db7f7055a74cf506477796c84e.jpg

IMG_5841.thumb.jpg.5540aa5b99bc0b61935fdd8de2e5bc25.jpg

 

Also some progress on the new Sysracks Cabinet. Got mostly everything swapped over except for the Unraid Server, but the new rails should be here Monday for that.
IMG_5855.thumb.jpg.50d7778cf407062982d5ff2b562cfa2e.jpg

IMG_5854.thumb.jpg.b1f300c5509bc713c5ab016fd82dbbb3.jpg

 

Top exhuast. Ideally i'd like to get this on a laser cutter to expand the slots for all 9 fans. The 4 will have to do for now.

IMG_5857.thumb.jpg.d53e3b0d701d434ad64761018ed499b3.jpg

 

Cleanining up the back

IMG_5850.thumb.jpg.cab25a6ccb63145e25cb7ef0e18999d9.jpg

IMG_5849.thumb.jpg.f72e160c8a0974e76604d3609ec6fc80.jpg

 

Here's a quick peek at the Arduino. Firmware still in beta, and the loop is still not hooked up to the 1080 radiator yet (out of distilled water. need to run to the store)

IMG_5852.thumb.jpg.20a6b2d886407b3dae2f31ad4015b732.jpg

 

Not 100% on the hardware layout in the rack, but this should definitely work for now. I'll be putting the Unraid server below my gaming pc. 

More updates coming soon!

 

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5845.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat!

 

No comments really, but i would recommend making sure you have good grounding in the rack.


Hi! If you ever need some structural, mechanical or electrical design/build help on your new rig, send me a PM and ill try and help you out!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, kkpatel87 said:

Neat!

 

No comments really, but i would recommend making sure you have good grounding in the rack.

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, why in particular do you recommend that? Due to the water loop?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, IMI4tth3w said:

Okay i've got some updates!

 

Here's a couple pics of the inside of the Unraid Server. I don't think i could put another Noctua fan in there if i tried.

IMG_5837.thumb.jpg.287b9ccafe84f435ef77a4d4cadc0f37.jpg

 

This fan in front of the gpu, is it actually beneficial? You have a big 140 directly behind it so doesn't the smaller one just block the 140 airflow? 

IMG_20200705_080959.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
49 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

This fan in front of the gpu, is it actually beneficial? You have a big 140 directly behind it so doesn't the smaller one just block the 140 airflow? 

IMG_20200705_080959.jpg

I just installed the two 80mm at the very back. But i've been running it open top for a while and the pcie cards needed some more direct airflow. Due to cables the main 140mm fan has to point a little bit upward and wasn't giving airflow to the pcie slots.

Once i get it in the rack with the top on i'll probably pull that 120mm. But i might just leave it there to keep more direct airflow at the pcie cards

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IMI4tth3w said:

I just installed the two 80mm at the very back. But i've been running it open top for a while and the pcie cards needed some more direct airflow. Due to cables the main 140mm fan has to point a little bit upward and wasn't giving airflow to the pcie slots.

Once i get it in the rack with the top on i'll probably pull that 120mm. But i might just leave it there to keep more direct airflow at the pcie cards

With the top on, I think you will see that it is redundant. Server cases are great wind tunnels when closed up. 

 

Overall very cool setup. I've been planning something similar but with all short depth cases. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×