Finding the right cable.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to build a NAS/Server, I already have the parts mainly picked out but the case that connects the drives to the system has a SFF-8643 backplane.
I am trying to find a cable that will work with a SFF-8087 HBA. I am unsure if i can use a standard SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cable, a specific cable, or i would have to get a SFF-8643 HBA.

The system I am putting together a VM/Fileserver and I want to passthrough the HBA instead of each drive as i am going to use Freenas.

I am building this to replace my R710.

The case is  Silverstone CS381B MicroATX Desktop Case

The LSI 9302-8i HBA is an OK price https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9302-8I-SAS3008-12Gbps-SAS-SATA-JBOD-HBA-IT-mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-Popular/143615998464

Otherwise theres plenty of SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables https://www.amazon.com/SFF-8643-SFF-8087/s?k=SFF-8643+to+SFF-8087

Dont see any reason the cable wouldn't work, theres nothing "fancy" about SAS to SATA or SAS to SAS cables

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Should be fine getting a cable. Its SAS to SAS so there shouldn't be any directionality involved either.

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

The LSI 9302-8i HBA is an OK price https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-9302-8I-SAS3008-12Gbps-SAS-SATA-JBOD-HBA-IT-mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-Popular/143615998464

Otherwise theres plenty of SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables https://www.amazon.com/SFF-8643-SFF-8087/s?k=SFF-8643+to+SFF-8087

Dont see any reason the cable wouldn't work, theres nothing "fancy" about SAS to SATA or SAS to SAS cables

Thats what i was thinking about the cables but i read that some of the cables are directional and wouldnt like to be almost done and have to buy another HBA and cable set

Just now, The_Ellimist said:

Should be fine getting a cable. Its SAS to SAS so there shouldn't be any directionality involved either.

Thats what I thought but im sure we all know shouldnt and how it actually works can be two different things. Which is why im reaching out to those that might have insight into it

Just now, dmankl said:

Thats what I thought but im sure we all know shouldnt and how it actually works can be two different things. Which is why im reaching out to those that might have insight into it

Directional cables apply to the SAS to SATA cables with SFF-8087 at one end. Should not apply for a SAS to SAS cable like you require though. If you had SATA connections on one end you would definitely need directional cables but you are just going SAS to SAS so not directional. You will be able to use SATA drives in that backplane just fine as well.

Just now, The_Ellimist said:

Directional cables apply to the SAS to SATA cables with SFF-8087 at one end. Should not apply for a SAS to SAS cable like you require though. If you had SATA connections on one end you would definitely need directional cables but you are just going SAS to SAS so not directional. You will be able to use SATA drives in that backplane just fine as well.

Sweet! I appreciate it!