Weird Windows 10 networking problem

Congo

Hello,

I am having some weird Ethernet problems on windows 10. I have a one 1gig download speed. My other desktop gets the full 1000 down. But my main desktop doesn't. My main desktop gets 150 down sometimes 180 down. Ive tried changing the cables and Ive tried changing the ethernet ports. Nothing. I got confused so I got my laptop out and to see if it is the cable and the laptop gets the full 1000 down. So I thought maybe its windows? So I installed mint on a flash drive and booted into it. BANG full 1000 down. So it isnt my hardware? So whats up? Ive tried uninstalling my intel Ethernet drivers and reinstalling them and nothing changes. Any ideas?

image.png.9821593cde6e368327ab97c9bb8e4013.pngimage.png.f78221602daf058db35348951355e655.png

How old is the Windows install? I've had some networking issues before that were only resolved by a clean Windows install. Fairly recently I did so on my laptop that was having bandwidth and disconnect issues. No amount of IP and driver tinkering fixed it, but it's been fine since reinstalling Windows. 

You can try clearing DNS cache and resetting the TCP/IP stack but I doubt it will fix it. 

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

How old is the Windows install? I've had some networking issues before that were only resolved by a clean Windows install. Fairly recently I did so on my laptop that was having bandwidth and disconnect issues. No amount of IP and driver tinkering fixed it, but it's been fine since reinstalling Windows. 

You can try clearing DNS cache and resetting the TCP/IP stack but I doubt it will fix it. 

Im running version 1903, just updated it 2 hours ago trying to figure out this problem. Ill try cleaning my DNS and reseeting my TCP/IP stack and report back but sadly I am not hopeful. Really dont want to reinstall windows though

Just now, Congo said:

Im running version 1903, just updated it 2 hours ago trying to figure out this problem. Ill try cleaning my DNS and reseeting my TCP/IP stack and report back but sadly I am not hopeful. Really dont want to reinstall windows though

Did it only occur after the build update?

You could try moving to 1909 or 2004 I suppose. 

Maybe try an older version of the driver for you network card to see if it's an issue with the latest release. 

Did it only occur after the build update?

You could try moving to 1909 or 2004 I suppose. 

Maybe try an older version of the driver for you network card to see if it's an issue with the latest release. 

This happened after I moved. Same router though (edge router) and same switch though. Also oddly enough it lets me do two instances at "full" speed... Although Im not sure if that tells me anythingimage.thumb.png.da32c16e62aa070b00b124d6ffc03f7c.png

4 hours ago, Congo said:

This happened after I moved. Same router though (edge router) and same switch though. Also oddly enough it lets me do two instances at "full" speed... Although Im not sure if that tells me anythingimage.thumb.png.da32c16e62aa070b00b124d6ffc03f7c.png

Oh forgot to add sadly your recommendations didnt help

2 minutes ago, Congo said:

Oh forgot to add sadly your recommendations didnt help

Mmm, didn't think so. 

You can try turning off windows auto-tuning:

(Elevated command prompt)

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You can re-enable this if it makes it worse or no difference:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

You could also play around with enabling Jumbo Frames at various MTU sizes on the NIC (Network connections > Properties > Configure)

You could also play around with enabling Jumbo Frames at various MTU sizes on the NIC (Network connections > Properties > Configure)

Okay sadly that has done nothing. I tried a transfer between my server computer and my main one (this one aka the problematic one) and I got full 1000. So it isnt the cable, it isnt the nic. I tried downloading speedtest and I got 250 instead of 180ish but still not full speed. The confusion is real. At this point I might just switch to linux.........

1 minute ago, Congo said:

Okay sadly that has done nothing. I tried a transfer between my server computer and my main one (this one aka the problematic one) and I got full 1000. So it isnt the cable, it isnt the nic. I tried downloading speedtest and I got 250 instead of 180ish but still not full speed. The confusion is real. At this point I might just switch to linux.........

If you have a spare drive or room for a partition, you could try a clean windows install to test if the speed goes to what it should be on the clean install.

Can't suggest much more I'm afraid. I was never able to solve the issues with my laptop without reinstalling Windows 

If you have a spare drive or room for a partition, you could try a clean windows install to test if the speed goes to what it should be on the clean install.

Can't suggest much more I'm afraid. I was never able to solve the issues with my laptop without reinstalling Windows 

Well, guess I got nothing else to lose. Thank you very much for all the help you gave. Thank you thank you. Ill update this topic when I reinstall.