Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ballen258

Impact of Hyperthreading?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can do it in the bios on almost all boards. Or disable the cores in windows.

It depends on the program, but its normally a gain in performnace for almost all apps, or no change. Its normally a 30% peak improvement.

@ballen258 to clarify he means turning HT on nets a 30% improvement not that it's slower by 30% with HT on.

It'll be somewhere in the BIOS, where exactly depends on the motherboard itself. As for performance it's going to be about 60-70% of what it was in multi-threaded work and single threaded performance won't be affected unless you use the overhead you gain back to increase clock speeds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Original PosterOP

Would you recommend it for gaming? I have had problems in the past getting GTA 5 to hold at 60 FPS with a GTX 1070, i7 3930k @ 4.4 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 RAM, and 2 x 240 GB RAID SSDs.