older intel processors vs older amd processors

Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

Back in AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium days (≈2005) AMD was better.

In the AMD Phenom II vs Intel 1st gen Core processors like the i7-960 (≈2010) they were about even.

In 2011, Intel released 2nd gen Core (i7-2600) which was a huge step forward, and AMD responded a year later with the FX series which was actually worse than their previous generation Phenom processors from 2-3 years ago. The 2nd Gen FX processors in 2013 (like the FX-8350) were slightly better but still quite far behind Intel in most gaming type applications.

Things stayed like that until 2017 when AMD came back to being competitive with Ryzen. Basically, the last time AMD processors were significantly better than Intel of the same generation was around 2005. Any Intel i5/i7-2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx processors are significantly better than AMD competition of the day.

So as I understood when the Ryzen came AMD was ahead of Intel, but befoee that Intel was dominating. So let's say I wanted to buy a older processor from them. Should I get the FX8350 or the i7 2600. (These are just examples I have no idea can they even compete). I just want to know is old AMD or old Intel better. 

2600k wins in Gaming, especially on single or dual threaded workloads of the AGE.

Locked 2600 nonK does well holding 3.4Ghz to 3.6Ghz Allcore - 3.7-3.8Ghz Single/Dual core Turbo modes..

Dont know for sure about these days, the Low IPC of AMD at the time and less cores and threads on Intels side, newer games could still focus frequency at 4 threads the Intel wins, but if its 8core aware, the Intel might have worse dips where the 8core AMD can spread the tasks better..

Depends on EACH game just as it did then, as does today.

ARMA3 is an example of Singlecore Gaming, the AMD chips get relatively destroyed by 2ndGen Intel at Decent 3.5Ghz frequencies.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

17 minutes ago, highrusher said:

FX8350

As I understand it, that chip runs way too hot to cool by mere mortals, and as others will say, old AMD chips get trounced by old Intel chips.

Only when Ryzen showed up did AMD start to be a better option (in most cases)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

None of the above.

Ryzen (anything) and a cheap ass B350 or B450 board, Get like a used Ryzen 5 1400 or something.

Gotta be better choices at a low budget level. 

Back in AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel Pentium days (≈2005) AMD was better.

In the AMD Phenom II vs Intel 1st gen Core processors like the i7-960 (≈2010) they were about even.

In 2011, Intel released 2nd gen Core (i7-2600) which was a huge step forward, and AMD responded a year later with the FX series which was actually worse than their previous generation Phenom processors from 2-3 years ago. The 2nd Gen FX processors in 2013 (like the FX-8350) were slightly better but still quite far behind Intel in most gaming type applications.

Things stayed like that until 2017 when AMD came back to being competitive with Ryzen. Basically, the last time AMD processors were significantly better than Intel of the same generation was around 2005. Any Intel i5/i7-2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx processors are significantly better than AMD competition of the day.