Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
highrusher

Recommend me a cpu

We don't know what you'll be using it for, or what hardware you'll be combining it with. Please be more specific.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Good for what?
The best you can get on LGA 1155 is the 3770K and some Xeons, though those are also 4C/8T.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: BenQ BL2420PT & Alienware AW2521HF

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

What do you mean "is it a good socket"? Are you planning a build with it? If so, DON'T buy a 1151 motherboard. You might get great value with it now, but upgrading will cost you so much more, since the latest CPU that fits on the socket is a i7 3770K (and a couple server processors), and if you want to upgrade you'll need a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new RAM (since almost all modern motherboards run DDR4 RAM).

Main Rig: i5-4460, EVGA GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD

Other Tech: iPhone XS 64GB, Nintendo 3DS XL (Snapped), Apple Watch Series 2, Airpods, Nintendo Switch, Retro Consoles, Vizio 32" Smart TV

Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

What do you mean "is it a good socket"? Are you planning a build with it? If so, DON'T buy a 1151 motherboard. You might get great value with it now, but upgrading will cost you so much more, since the latest CPU that fits on the socket is a i7 3770K (and a couple server processors), and if you want to upgrade you'll need a new motherboard, a new CPU, and new RAM (since almost all modern motherboards run DDR4 RAM).

I mean is it good for upgrading. Like if I were to build a gaming PC rnow could I upgrade it for a year or somethin so I don't fall behins. And this motherboard supports only DDR3 ram but that's fine for me.

14 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Good for what?
The best you can get on LGA 1155 is the 3770K and some Xeons, though those are also 4C/8T.

For gaming.

17 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

We don't know what you'll be using it for, or what hardware you'll be combining it with. Please be more specific.

I don't know either. Currently I only have the motherboard and the cooler that's why I asked what cpu is good. Also I am planning to get a GTX 1050 Ti or a 750 Ti or a RX 570

10 minutes ago, highrusher said:

I don't know either. Currently I only have the motherboard and the cooler that's why I asked what cpu is good. Also I am planning to get a GTX 1050 Ti or a 750 Ti or a RX 570

for gaming, the i7-2600 is what you'd want

mind you, not every 1155 motherboard is created equal, it's always important for you to specify exactly what you have. Q67 express motherboards, for example, are not compatible with 3rd gen CPUs, or the i7-2700K.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

for gaming, the i7-2600 is what you'd want

mind you, not every 1155 motherboard is created equal, it's always important for you to specify exactly what you have. Q67 express motherboards, for example, are not compatible with 3rd gen CPUs, or the i7-2700K.

okay lets say I'd get the i7 2600, which GPU do I get to go with that CPU

9 minutes ago, highrusher said:

okay lets say I'd get the i7 2600, which GPU do I get to go with that CPU

reasonably you can pair an RX 570 with it for most modern games, depends on what you want to play though

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

4 hours ago, highrusher said:

I mean is it good for upgrading. Like if I were to build a gaming PC rnow could I upgrade it for a year or somethin so I don't fall behins. And this motherboard supports only DDR3 ram but that's fine for me.

You couldn't really upgrade it. It still only supports 8 year-old CPUs, and in a year, that'll become 9. If you want to expand your system in a year, you should get a modern socket, like AM4 or LGA1151. The issue with only supporting DDR3 RAM is that modern motherboards only work with DDR4, so you'd end up spending more upgrading than you saved being on an older platform.

Main Rig: i5-4460, EVGA GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD

Other Tech: iPhone XS 64GB, Nintendo 3DS XL (Snapped), Apple Watch Series 2, Airpods, Nintendo Switch, Retro Consoles, Vizio 32" Smart TV