PSP Soft-Modding Help

rojobahr

I was thinking about modding my PSP, but I've come across a bit of a problem. 

My PSP cannot connect to the internet, meaning that the only way to get anything from my computer to the console is via its Memory Stick. But, I don't have anything that will allow me to do that. The memory stick I'm using with my PSP (version 3000, btw) is what I think is a 8GB M2 Duo in an adapter compatible with the PSP 3000. My plan is to get an adapter to connect the stick to my computer with, dump it's contents, replace it with a micro SD Card in a Memory Stick adapter and use that for all of my CFW-related needs. 

So my question is: Does anyone have an appropriate PSP 3000 compatible memory stick-to-desktop adapter that they can recommend? I've been looking at this one (1st link below), but I'm unsure if i will work. 

The 2nd link is the Micro SD-to-Mem Stick adapter that I'm planning on getting.

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroMate-Memory-Reader-SDDR-108-E12M/dp/B004XUNW26/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=m2+duo+to+usb+adapter&qid=1593539304&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/Funturbo-MagicGate-Playstation-Portable-Handycam/dp/B07F68FCHD/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=m2+duo&qid=1593539551&sr=8-18

Oh, and my PSP can't connect to the internet because it doesn't like any of the available connections.

How about this? It's a little more than what you posted but more capable and USB 3. Seems to be a popular choice with a good rating. The micro sd to Duo adapter looks just fine. I'm pretty sure that's the exact same one I have.

Have fun modding your PSP. I softmoded mine the day I bought it lol. I never even used the UMD drive on it because I just stored my games on a 32GB micro sd.

I did buy physical copies of my games but then would download a copy online to easily transfer it. That allowed me to keep my PSP games sealed. Plus, I was legally and morally in the clear since I owned the game.

I did however download the fan translation of Dangaronpa because at the time it wasn't localized in the US. It was on of those moments where it made modding the PSP totally worth it. When the game finally came out in the US I did buy it on the Vita and PS4 though so I made up for downloading it lol.

Thank you. 

Ideally, I would be modding a PS Vita instead, as they are a lot more useful, but I can't exactly afford to get one with how pricey they can be. And buying one used doesn't guarantee full functionality.

I get the feeling that my PSP is on its last legs. I bought it used a few years ago, but my careless treatment of it has rendered its screen scratched up (nothing major, just a whole bunch of small scratches) and the paint on the back is starting to fall off. 

I was a 3DS boy. That console has a lot of quality titles, like SMT4, Bravely Default and Kid Icarus, but modding it hasn't really lead to a whole lot. The utilities are definitely good, but emulators past the SNES/Genesis era are a bit spotty in performance. 

I'm tempted to ask if someone reading this has a Vita they would be willing to give away for (relatively) cheap.

16 minutes ago, rojobahr said:

Thank you. 

Ideally, I would be modding a PS Vita instead, as they are a lot more useful, but I can't exactly afford to get one with how pricey they can be. And buying one used doesn't guarantee full functionality.

I've been considering modding my Vita. I need to look at the possibilities because I haven't paid much attention to Vita modding news. I also have a PS/Vita TV that I might do some things to.

I agree that it makes more sense to mod a Vita. The screen is a HUGE improvement over the PSP and having dual analog sticks makes a world of difference. It is just a much better device for emulation and the like IMO.

I get the feeling that my PSP is on its last legs. I bought it used a few years ago, but my careless treatment of it has rendered its screen scratched up (nothing major, just a whole bunch of small scratches) and the paint on the back is starting to fall off. 

That's a shame. Screen protectors and cases are so important for handhelds. I've learned the hard way in the past when I thought I would be careful and didn't need a screen protector lol.

I'm tempted to ask if someone reading this has a Vita they would be willing to give away for (relatively) cheap.

Yeah, the Vita has actually held up in value really well. Just the handheld itself seems to command an easy $150 plus and I see a lot on eBay going for over $200.

If you do get one, I recommend the OLED version. That screen looks really nice. I bought mine after the Slim came out so I got really lucky and scored a brand new  3G OLED version before the prices skyrocked for new boxed units.

Interestingly, the OLED doesn't really seem to be much more expensive than the OLED version now, at least for used ones. Seems they are rather close in price so I would get the OLED.