Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gregisnotmyname

Moving to Germany from US, power mgmt?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Budget (including currency): N/A

Country: Germany (moving from USA)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: any/all FPS/RPG

Other details: Hi! I'm a US resident moving to Germany soon. I have an Omen 27in 1440p monitor, some 25w peripheral speakers, and my PC I need to power. I'm wondering what I need to do to convert. Are there different power adaptors for monitors? Do I need a different PSU?

Spec

Corsair RM 750x psu

Ryzen 7 2700x

Asus ROG Strix x370-f gaming Mobo

EVGA GTX 1080Ti

Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

Corsair vengeance 8Gb x4

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb x2

 

Thank you!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gregisnotmyname said:

Budget (including currency): N/A

Country: Germany (moving from USA)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: any/all FPS/RPG

Other details: Hi! I'm a US resident moving to Germany soon. I have an Omen 27in 1440p monitor, some 25w peripheral speakers, and my PC I need to power. I'm wondering what I need to do to convert. Are there different power adaptors for monitors? Do I need a different PSU?

Spec

Corsair RM 750x psu

Ryzen 7 2700x

Asus ROG Strix x370-f gaming Mobo

EVGA GTX 1080Ti

Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler

Corsair vengeance 8Gb x4

Samsung 860 Evo 500gb x2

 

Thank you!

 

All you need is an IEC cable that fits german sockets, the sockets on the PSU and monitors are the same usually. The only difference being that sometimes monitros have power bricks, but again all that is required is the part that goes from the electrical socket to the power brick.

PSUs are all made the same IIRC, so the operating voltage can vary between IIRC 120-250V AC and still operate efficiently.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

https://www.dictionary.com/  is good for helping with spelling, if you care.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GZWxgJ
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany uses 220-240V, as opposed to US' 110-120V. It's likely that many of your devices are compatible with both, but check beforehand. If anything you are taking with you is 110V only, then you will need a 220 to 110  transformer for that one.

Power outlets are different, though: you'll need "schuko" plugs (or small tow-round-poles plugs), but you can get adapters easily once there. If you have many "US plug" appliances (computer/monitor/other), you may want to consider bringing a mutli-socket strip from the US, and just using one adapter to hook that to the wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

eg the power brick (if there is one) might use a cloverleaf IEC cable like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABC-Products-Cloverleaf-Adapter-Toshiba/dp/B07J1N7QTY/

 

And the computer PSu cable would be like this

 

https://www.amazon.de/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

https://www.dictionary.com/  is good for helping with spelling, if you care.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GZWxgJ
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Germany uses 220-240V, as opposed to US' 110-120V. It's likely that many of your devices are compatible with both, but check beforehand. If anything you are taking with you is 110V only, then you will need a 220 to 110  transformer for that one.

Power outlets are different, though: you'll need "schuko" plugs (or small tow-round-poles plugs), but you can get adapters easily once there. If you have many "US plug" appliances (computer/monitor/other), you may want to consider bringing a mutli-socket strip from the US, and just using one adapter to hook that to the wall.

I got this from looking up the manual for the 750W

 

FoxitReader_5puYiUs87r.png.e2471d358afc7ea39bc995037f26d691.png

 

See it uses 100-240V, so as I said in my first post it should only require the different "plug" type on an IEC cable. It should be the same for the other devices he mentioned, but as you said it's better to check beforehand.


Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

https://www.dictionary.com/  is good for helping with spelling, if you care.

 

Spoiler
  • PCs:-
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GZWxgJ
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F1 128GB 6GB RAM
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
  • Lenovo k3 note
  • Windows tablet
  • Unused Hardware currently :-
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo - Thermaltake Core V21-  EVGA Supernova G2 650W Gold PSU
  • AMD phenom II 1055t / 8GB RAM / DVD writer
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition x2
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini
  • Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I got this from looking up the manual for the 750W

 

FoxitReader_5puYiUs87r.png.e2471d358afc7ea39bc995037f26d691.png

Yes, computer PSUs these datsare 100-240V compatible, and in fact work more efficiently with 220V, so there's an upside for OP ;) 

But I was referring to electrical devices more generally that he may want to bring with him.

 

I remember, when I was a child, half computer stuff, if not more, had these 220 to 110 transformers, as they were bringing those straight from the US. And ever now and then someone would kill one by either not using the transformer, or by using it not realizing that particular component was already 220V :D Some printers and other devices would have manual switches in them to change between 110 and 220, but would not do it automatically like modern components, so you could still kill something by having the switch in the wrong position...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×