I5 to I7? 1050 to rx 5660 or rtx 2060? Any Help?

Hi,

I'm looking to update my rig, I have it for about 4 years now, I know I can go up to I7 7700 and whit the KO to RTX 2060 it may be a good option to update but ray tracing right now is not a feature I'm looking for.

Here is the Info for th rig

Budget (including currency): $20k Mexican Pesos around $865 dlls

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Casual Gaming, Casual video editing and photo editing

CPU                      Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor         

CPU Cooler         Stock        

Motherboard             Gigabyte GA-Gaming B8 ATX LGA1151

Memory         Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL14 Memory                 

Storage           ADATA SU800 128 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive                                                                      

Video Card    MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card

Also running a 60hz monitor depending on the prices i may be able to get a 144hz one

Middle tier for about 4 year ago, but still working fine and I can still play a good number of games, Can I run it website shows 98 of 100 of the top games can be run in minimum requirements.

so should I go up to the I7 7th gen and rtx 2060 or rx 5600 xt from AMD?

Thanks for the comments!!!

5 minutes ago, Cr0n05 said:

so should I go up to the I7 7th gen and rtx 2060 or rx 5600 xt from AMD?

I would recommend upgrading the graphics card to a RX 5600XT or the RX 5700/5700XT if your budget allows for it. A 7th gen Core i5 to a 7th gen Core i7 isn't really going to be worth it for the slight difference in performance (approximately 10 to 15 percent in testing). It would be better to upgrade the GPU now and save up to upgrade the motherboard + CPU to Ryzen 3rd gen or 4th gen which should come out soon.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Going from an i5 to i7 can improve gaming experience more than raw fps increases, as it can help with the apparent smoothness (better minimum fps). The problem is, at least where I am, many people are considering a similar upgrade. So i7 are holding high prices which make them poor value as an upgrade. If you do consider this route, also consider 6th gen CPUs. There isn't much between them so that might open the choice a little.

The upgrade to GPU should help a fair bit, as I'd consider a 1050Ti to be on the lower end today. With any of the upgrade options you can pretty much max out settings at 1080p60.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 cores 8 threads is pretty much the current PC gaming minimum standard now, so the extra 4 threads will certainly help.  Several modern games use hyper threading really well now.  Even on 1st and second gen i7's.  And you'll typically get more FPS per dollar with AMD cards, but I prefer Nvidia as their drivers are virtually always better.

A 1660 Super will get very near 2060 performance, and for quite a bit less.  A 1660 is pretty much just a slightly crippled 2060.

1 minute ago, porina said:

Going from an i5 to i7 can improve gaming experience more than raw fps increases, as it can help with the apparent smoothness (better minimum fps). The problem is, at least where I am, many people are considering a similar upgrade. So i7 are holding high prices which make them poor value as an upgrade. If you do consider this route, also consider 6th gen CPUs. There isn't much between them so that might open the choice a little.

Never tough of  downgrading to 6gen but at faster clock. I'll look into it

1 minute ago, Cr0n05 said:

Never tough of  downgrading to 6gen but at faster clock. I'll look into it

6th and 7th gen mainstream desktop CPUs (Skylake and Kaby Lake respectively) were essentially the same in terms of functionality and were supported on each other's chipsets, with a compatible bios. Systems already running a 7th gen should have no problem with dropping in a 6th gen. Considering like for like models within each range, I think Intel did increase the clock slightly on 7th gen, but otherwise you can treat them as the same thing.

The top CPUs for your system would be the 7700k and then 6700k, but I fear both will probably still command a price premium as the top models in that generation. The non-k models might also be another option. They don't clock as much but still gives the extra threads.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, Cr0n05 said:

What power supply do you have?

Imho, an RX 5700 or 2060 Super is what you should be looking at.