Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iamy7j

Laptop Cooling

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have Asus ROG Strix Hero GL503VD i7 7700hq GTX 1050 and it runs hot as 95 degrees on cpu and 80 degrees gpu and it lags as snail when it reaches that point What should i do?

1 minute ago, iamy7j said:

I have Asus ROG Strix Hero GL503VD i7 7700hq GTX 1050 and it runs hot as 95 degrees on cpu and 80 degrees gpu and it lags as snail when it reaches that point What should i do?

You have 3 options, repaste the laptop, use liquid metal or get a deskop...

High temperatures are farely normal for a laptop, the anemic cooling often isn't enough for the components, but if you want get better temps, open the laptop, remove the cooling ad change the thermal paste, I wouldn't suggest liquid metal on a laptop but if will give you even better temps

Main PC:

CPU: i5-8600k@5.0GHz | GPU 1: GTX 1660@2070MHz | GPU 2: GT 710 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB & Kingston UV400 120GB |  HDD: 2x 2TB WD Black | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 

Secondary PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 10 Pro

Server:

Model: HP DL360e Gen 8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2407 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120GB | OS: CentOS 8

Laptop:

Model: MacBook Air Late 2010 | CPU: Core 2 Duo L9600 | RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz | OS: MacOS Catalina 

Those temps seem about right (compare with this http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-rog-gl503.805964/)

You can try to repaste your laptop, and if you are lucky, that will help somewhat.
Another option is either undervolt or just limit your CPU speed. This will give some more cooling capacity to the GPU.

What are your ambient temperatures like?
Did you ever clean the fins of the heatsink of your laptop? Maybe a lot of dust has accumulated there and is isolating them somewhat.

yes i clean it like in two months i do 3d modelling and programming on this but sometimes it lags so bad that even photoshop lags .

2 minutes ago, iamy7j said:

yes i clean it like in two months i do 3d modelling and programming on this but sometimes it lags so bad that even photoshop lags .

Have you looked at the clockspeeds of the components. Your GPU is probably hitting its termal limit and throttling. It would be good to know, by how much. Same for you CPU.

I would probably go for a repaste first, as it is fairly little work. Sometimes the thermal interface between the CPU/GPU and the cooler can just go bad after some time...

I would advise against going liquid metal, as it can destroy your laptop. Just get some good, non conductive thermal compound.

i have repasted laptop before but this rog is tricky with its clip locks and yeah even a single grain of sand worth of liq metal goes on board iam dead before laptop is.

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Have you looked at the clockspeeds of the components. Your GPU is probably hitting its termal limit and throttling. It would be good to know, by how much. Same for you CPU.

I would probably go for a repaste first, as it is fairly little work. Sometimes the thermal interface between the CPU/GPU and the cooler can just go bad after some time...

I would advise against going liquid metal, as it can destroy your laptop. Just get some good, non conductive thermal compound.

what if i undervolt cpu and gpu maybe that will help??

but i dont really know how to undervolt

can you help me with that?

I have only ever undervolted the GPU in my desktop PC. That worked very well actually, but you should not expect to get a lot out of it, if you are not also lowering clock speeds.

Here is a guide, that I found. I can't testify for it, but it should be a good starting point.
https://genexisx.blogspot.com/2019/09/laptop-undervolting-guide-intelnvidia.html

Just a heads up, I think if you are using intel XTU, some of the settings are already applied while booting, so if your system becomes so unstable, that it is unable to boot, you'll have to reset your CMOS. Throttlestop is apparently only applying it after windows has stared.

But I have done very little research about this, so look it up for yourself. This won't be a quick and easy fix. You'll have to invest some time into this!