Iphone 8 becomes super laggy

BurntNewt

My iphone 8 just randomly freezes up, overheats, and just overall stops working. It becomes completely unresponsive to the point where i cant open apps, go home, put it to sleep, or turn it off. i talked to apple multiple times and every time they say its fine, but its clearly not fine. is there anything that i could even do for it? is it even worth trying to do something should i just wait for the 12? or get the 11 pro since my phones battery life is already shit. (yes i am an apple sheep i am deep in the ecosystem, and no i do not want an android XD)

Edited by BurntNewt
addition to text

It's probably the battery. I've been having some of these symptoms (but still to a lesser extent so far) on my 7 as the battery's gotten more and more degraded.

Either swap out the battery for a new one or just bear with it for a little longer until you get a new phone.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

It's probably the battery. I've been having some of these symptoms (but still to a lesser extent so far) on my 7 as the battery's gotten more and more degraded.

Either swap out the battery for a new one or just bear with it for a little longer until you get a new phone.

thats the thing i got my battery replaced just 3 months ago before corona started, im starting to think i paid them to put the same battery in my phone >:(

Well, this seems to happen to all old iPhones, if you are bold enough you can change the battery of the phone

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

1 minute ago, mbntr said:

Well, this seems to happen to all old iPhones, if you are bold enough you can change the battery of the phone

would it even be worth trying to risk with most repair shops closed if i eff up

1 hour ago, BurntNewt said:

thats the thing i got my battery replaced just 3 months ago before corona started, im starting to think i paid them to put the same battery in my phone >:(

Check the battery health of the device, also do you delete your apps running gin the background and how much storage are you using? 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

7 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Check the battery health of the device, also do you delete your apps running gin the background and how much storage are you using? 

battery health is at 96%, i do, and i used around 120 of 256

1 minute ago, BurntNewt said:

Where do you live? 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Where do you live? 

in the states, my states apple stores all just got closed again... :(

26 minutes ago, BurntNewt said:

well, mine is 66%, apple batteries really suck.

I have had an iPhone 6 and a 7 and in both the battery has lasted less than 2 years.

The performance is also crap and the phone overheats constantly, if I try to shoot 4k video the battery lasts percisely 4 minutes and I'm not even exaggerating

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

9 minutes ago, mbntr said:

well, mine is 66%, apple batteries really suck.

I have had an iPhone 6 and a 7 and in both the battery has lasted less than 2 years.

The performance is also crap and the phone overheats constantly, if I try to shoot 4k video the battery lasts percisely 4 minutes and I'm not even exaggerating

So I guess my phone is basically done for now then.... rip 

1 minute ago, BurntNewt said:

So I guess my phone is basically done for now then.... rip 

If you want a jailbreak will help, you can also downgrade to an older version of IOS

Laptop:

Photography:

Cameras:

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

38 minutes ago, mbntr said:

If you want a jailbreak will help, you can also downgrade to an older version of IOS

Would trying the beta help? What tweaks would make it work?

Do a fresh install of iOS. These guy's saying this happens to all old iPhone's are full of shit. I have older iPhone's that don't run like that. 96 is very good, 66 should have been replaced years ago.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Well, since the battery is fine(assuming you got it replaced by apple or apple authorized shops), your only option is to factory reset.

4 hours ago, BurntNewt said:

in the states, my states apple stores all just got closed again... :(

Is it warm there though? If it's 30 degrees it's not great for electronics. Other than that factory reset might help you

Yea that's not normal... my SE first gen is on ios 14 beta and is lag free. Have you tried a factory reset?

8 minutes ago, smeek14 said:

Yea that's not normal... my SE first gen is on ios 14 beta and is lag free. Have you tried a factory reset?

im updating to the beta rn to see if it helps, i dont see the point of a factory reset if its a software thing wouldnt me restoring from a backup just cause the same issues?

7 minutes ago, BurntNewt said:

im updating to the beta rn to see if it helps, i dont see the point of a factory reset if its a software thing wouldnt me restoring from a backup just cause the same issues?

If an app is causing it, a factory reset with a fresh slate (no apps to start, adding them back over time) should kill off any potential software issues in one shot. The heat coming from the phone tells me the SoC is working full throttle.

If this was a throttling mechanism due to the battery, the heat would be minimal as the SoC would be held back to avoid voltage sag from a weak battery (reducing power consumption and heat at cost to speed), but it isn’t the case here.  Something is forcing the SoC to crank away. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If an app is causing it, a factory reset with a fresh slate (no apps to start, adding them back over time) should kill off any potential software issues in one shot. The heat coming from the phone tells me the SoC is working full throttle.

If this was a throttling mechanism due to the battery, the heat would be minimal as the SoC would be held back to avoid voltage sag (reducing power consumption and heat at cost to speed), but it isn’t the case here.  Something is forcing the SoC to crank away. 

i would do a factory reset but i have almost 9000 photos on my phone and other things i cant risk losing, i tried to do a reset of all the settings but still nothing happened

Spend a dollar and upgrade your iCloud to 50gb and back up your stuff.

22 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Spend a dollar and upgrade your iCloud to 50gb and back up your stuff.

Out of curiosity. Is that an one time payment or a annual one?

I think it’s monthly tbh. I have 2 lines, one is for her. But we have 4 old phones and a couple of iPads that the kids use. Saves me a ton of time trying to manage photos. My phone is 256GB so I don’t mind getting everyone’s pictures 👌🏻

It’s also good for our wallet and keychain info. I’ve been using idevices for about 10 years now and only recently started using icloud a little more seriously, as I just used it to back our phones up and nothing more.

Edit:

Also, my hard drives are two days older than dirt and I have 8 or 9 years of photos backed up to 3 drives, 2 of them are currently powered.  But I don’t trust any of them..

3 hours ago, BurntNewt said:

i would do a factory reset but i have almost 9000 photos on my phone and other things i cant risk losing, i tried to do a reset of all the settings but still nothing happened

Transfer them to a PC or some other external storage. Even if you were not having problems, willfully having only a singly copy of irreplaceable photos on your smartphone (you know, the single most abused piece of tech) is a very bad horrible moronic  dreadful unfortunate decision, and should be remedied ASAP.  

Back up your data, preferably to at least two separate places for stuff you want to keep. Then we can talk phone fixes here. Data recovery is $$$ if, by some small chance, your phone is actually broken. Ask Linus about the hard lesson he’d learned with his company data. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Transfer them to a PC or some other external storage. Even if you were not having problems, willfully having only a singly copy of irreplaceable photos on your smartphone (you know, the single most abused piece of tech) is a very bad horrible moronic  dreadful unfortunate decision, and should be remedied ASAP.  

Back up your data, preferably to at least two separate places for stuff you want to keep. Then we can talk phone fixes here. Data recovery is $$$ if, by some small chance, your phone is actually broken. Ask Linus about the hard lesson he’d learned with his company data. 

so far ios 14 beta seems to be way better i havent had any major lag or unresponsiveness like had before im gonna keep it for a few days and see how it goes