Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shinegull

PC not shutting down properly

I think it ended up being somehow, my usb devices were keeping it awake. either way, it seems to turn off properly now.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Lately, I've started turning my PC off at night, rather than leave it running 24/7.

 

At first the problem I had was that immediately after I shut down my PC, It would just restart itself. At first I thought that maybe I pressed restart by accident. But then it just kept running in a loop. I turn the PC off, via the option the normal way, the shut down option in lower left corner, the PC would go through the process of closing everything and turn off. Then it would proceed to boot up the computer completely, without me pressing a single thing. I read on a forum saying that "fast startup" was the culprit. The problem seemed to change at that point. After fast startup was turned off in power settings, my PC would go through the process of shutting down, the screen would turn black / disconnect / etc. but the PC fans are still on. I would have to restart the PC, then turn it off again, and this time, it would stay off. This works so far, but probably not the way its supposed to.

 

If anyone has a solution, it would be appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 6/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, homeap5 said:

Go to your lan card advanced settings and disable all wake possibilities.

I turned off all wake on lan options for any and all ethernet devices that i could see in device manager. It did not work. I waited about a minute, but fans didn't even slow down a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, so your computer do not shut down at all? That is different. I understand that your PC shuts down then starts again.

 

Ok, so it may be some hardware problem (PSU maybe), but before you start to replace computer parts, boot your computer using Ubuntu bootable USB and try to turn off your PC. Few times to be sure.

 

You may also look at your bios and check power states configuration (all that S3/4/5 state settings if you have any).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Ah, so your computer do not shut down at all? That is different. I understand that your PC shuts down then starts again.

 

Ok, so it may be some hardware problem (PSU maybe), but before you start to replace computer parts, boot your computer using Ubuntu bootable USB and try to turn off your PC. Few times to be sure.

 

You may also look at your bios and check power states configuration (all that S3/4/5 state settings if you have any).

To be specific:

 

First scenario - Fast Start Up Checked in Power Management

PC shuts down completely, every is off, then next second it turns on. I tried shutting down 3 times in a row, but it always turned back on right after everything sounds like it stops.

 

Second Scenario - Fast Startup Not checked in Power Management

PC does not shut down completely. i see the the blue screen saying "closing all programs", then screen turns off. but the fans keep running. As far as I can tell. there is no response to keyboard or mouse usage. In this case, I have to turn computer on/restart then press shutdown again. this time, it will turn off and stay off.

 

Wake on lan did not seem to have any effect whatsoever

 

Also, Ubuntu, what is that and how will it help?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, shinegull said:

 

Unplug all your USB devices, and if needed also unplug all your internal USB devices.
One of those are probably still drawing power. My external USB Blu Ray drive does exactly what you're describing.


If you can, then you should.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 7/1/2020 at 10:45 AM, 0x1e said:

Unplug all your USB devices, and if needed also unplug all your internal USB devices.
One of those are probably still drawing power. My external USB Blu Ray drive does exactly what you're describing.

i have 2 usb device (and only 2) plugged in. a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard both from logitech. if i unplug both... well cant really turn off my pc the normal way?

 

I have no cd drives, and no internal usb ports attached to anything, but i've also unchecked the "allow this device to wake computer" in power management tab as well.

 

Edit:

 

Im not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it did shut down properly last night, it didnt restart, and fans turned off. Im hoping that it stays like that and the problem doesnt come back

 

Edit 2:

Yea. It was a fluke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 12:57 AM, shinegull said:

i have 2 usb device (and only 2) plugged in. a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard both from logitech. if i unplug both... well cant really turn off my pc the normal way?

 

I have no cd drives, and no internal usb ports attached to anything, but i've also unchecked the "allow this device to wake computer" in power management tab as well.

 

Edit:

 

Im not sure if it was a fluke or not, but it did shut down properly last night, it didnt restart, and fans turned off. Im hoping that it stays like that and the problem doesnt come back

 

Edit 2:

Yea. It was a fluke.

If it's not USB then I would suggest checking if your computer is grounded correctly.
Edit: You can still shut down your system without a keyboard and mouse. Just tap the power button, or as it's shutting down pull both out.


If you can, then you should.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I think it ended up being somehow, my usb devices were keeping it awake. either way, it seems to turn off properly now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×