How to remove thermal adhesive

I've got a GTX 1080 FE that I modded with an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III. I have now decided to go back to the founder edition cooler and I need to remove the heatsinks that I added to the card (see attached file).

How do I remove the thermal adhesive? Ideally I would like the card to work after taking them off. I've looked at other online posts but there is a lot of conflicting information and some posts are more than 10 years old.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20200228_162606.jpg

You could try using a heat gun to melt the glue, but there’s no easy way to get it off. Honestly i think trying to removing the heat syncs at this point is a mistake. In the future there is thermal tape you can use that isn’t as permanent. If you don’t like the Accelero I would grab a kraken g12 and an AIO. 

17 hours ago, FleetGamer0928 said:

If you're selling the card and want it stock I highly suggest you try and sell it with that cooler instead of ref. You risk damaging the card regardless of the method and honestly that aftermarket cooler seems pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

don't try, you'll break it.  thermal adhesive has a high breakdown temperature (who would've thought) so just heating it is insufficient.

you may have luck with chemically removing the adhesive but without knowing the exact materials used I can't offer any advise on what solvent might work.

Good thing about that its, they were all saturated with the grease from the pads, which does effect the bond. I used vicegrips to apply pressure at the base and they would just pop off. I did the same thing on a few cards and no issues taking all of them off.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 6/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Sorenson said:

You could try using a heat gun to melt the glue, but there’s no easy way to get it off. Honestly i think trying to removing the heat syncs at this point is a mistake. In the future there is thermal tape you can use that isn’t as permanent. If you don’t like the Accelero I would grab a kraken g12 and an AIO. 

I did like the Accelero III a lot I just wanted to switch back, lesson learned. Unfortunately I did end up killing it by pulling of a DRAM chip and a few capacitors. I got a used 1070 the same day to replace it.

22 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Good thing about that its, they were all saturated with the grease from the pads, which does effect the bond. I used vicegrips to apply pressure at the base and they would just pop off. I did the same thing on a few cards and no issues taking all of them off.

When I first put the heatsinks on I cleaned off the grease from the chips, so they were locked on. Unfortunately I did end up killing it by getting too overconfident and pulling of a DRAM chip and a few capacitors. I got a used 1070 the same day to replace it.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, butre said:

don't try, you'll break it.  thermal adhesive has a high breakdown temperature (who would've thought) so just heating it is insufficient.

you may have luck with chemically removing the adhesive but without knowing the exact materials used I can't offer any advise on what solvent might work.

Indeed you're correct, but only from my overconfidence. Unfortunately I did end up killing it by getting too overconfident and pulling of a DRAM chip and a few capacitors. I got a used 1070 the same day to replace it.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:08 PM, Ohsnaps said:

If you're selling the card and want it stock I highly suggest you try and sell it with that cooler instead of ref. You risk damaging the card regardless of the method and honestly that aftermarket cooler seems pretty good.

I would never sell this card XD. The backplate is signed by all of LTT and a few other YouTubers from LTX 2019.

1 hour ago, FleetGamer0928 said:

I would never sell this card XD. The backplate is signed by all of LTT and a few other YouTubers from LTX 2019.

1 hour ago, FleetGamer0928 said:

Indeed you're correct, but only from my overconfidence. Unfortunately I did end up killing it by getting too overconfident and pulling of a DRAM chip and a few capacitors. I got a used 1070 the same day to replace it.

Wait so you got a used 1070 to replace your 1080? I understand its a nice thing that others signed it and hold value besides just hardware but I mean even luke used his old keyboard that was signed. I suggest you try and clear coat the back plate or something and use the card.