Can somebody help me find a good power supply

Brodi Freeman

Hey guys I have another question about pc building but this time it is about a power supply. I need a 650w power supply for my rig and I need it to be around the $100-$200 price range, does anybody have any good suggestions on maybe some 80 plus gold power supplies for 650 watts? Thanks.

the rm650x is a solid unit, albeit if you can find it in stock

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, IAmAndre said:

You can just check this thread: 

Thanks you

I have and RM650i great PSU, I would suggest it (RM650x you don´t need the "smart"  functionalities), and in case you wanted more headroom the RM 750x is always a good option

Seasonic makes reliable units but I don't have much experience with them, but if you wanted something other than corsair, well, go for it.

PSUs are often out of stock at the moment so you might have some problems finding some models

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

4 minutes ago, mbntr said:

I have and RM650i great PSU, I would suggest it (RM650x you don´t need the "smart"  functionalities), and in case you wanted more headroom the RM 750x is always a good option

Seasonic makes reliable units but I don't have much experience with them, but if you wanted something other than corsair, well, go for it.

PSUs are often out of stock at the moment so you might have some problems finding some models

Ok thank you

I'm going to 2nd the RM650x. The RMx series has proven quite reliable for my 24/7 applications.

Alternatively you can reference the PSU tier list people have linked above.

16 minutes ago, Brodi Freeman said:

I need it to be around the $100-$200 price range

US location? Or elsewhere?

BTW my recommendations are:

1. Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650W 80+ Gold

2. Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold

4 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

US location? Or elsewhere?

United States, I am going to update my location in my bio

4 hours ago, blackviking03 said:

BTW my recommendations are:

1. Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650W 80+ Gold

2. Corsair TX650M 80+ Gold

@blackviking03 These are the specs I am think of getting for my first of build:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600x or ryzen 3700x

- either the msi rtx 2060 or the msi rtx 2070 super

- Corsair vengeance 16 GB dd4r ram

- Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB ssd

5 hours ago, Brodi Freeman said:

United States, I am going to update my location in my bio

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#sort=price&page=2

Straightpower 11 will do the trick then

Edit: might want to reconsider the storage options to a MP34 1TB drive instead.

Also the 5700/xt cards are also an option.

8 hours ago, Brodi Freeman said:

@blackviking03 These are the specs I am think of getting for my first of build:

- AMD Ryzen 5 3600x or ryzen 3700x

- either the msi rtx 2060 or the msi rtx 2070 super

- Corsair vengeance 16 GB dd4r ram

- Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB ssd

Go for the Be Quiet Straight Power 11 650W 80+ Gold, it is fully modular and really really quiet, you will be satisfied.

AMD Ryzen is a good choice for you.

Don't buy an AMD GPU because AMD has driver problems and if you want something to work properly and be ready to game without problems right after you install the drivers NVIDIA is the choice for you.

If you have the money go for the RTX 2070 Super, but RTX 2060 is also a very good competitor.

Don't buy an AMD GPU because AMD has driver problems and if you want something to work properly and be ready to game without problems right after you install the drivers NVIDIA is the choice for you.

They have all been fixed. I have had my 5700xt for 8 months and have never had an issue, the same as 95% of people. 

RTX 2060

That is just incorrect. The 5700xt frequently gets 20-30fps more. 

4 minutes ago, gloop said:

They have all been fixed. I have had my 5700xt for 8 months and have never had an issue, the same as 95% of people. 

Well, my friend bought components for his new rig and had me build it for him (because he didn't want to risk damaging the new components). He bought a 5700XT to combine with a Ryzen 7 and 16GB DDR4 memory. Everything worked fine after I plugged everything in and turned it on, I went to the AMD site ,downloaded and installed the newest drivers and everything seemed alright. Not more than 2 days after I built the computer he started having issues, I had to go to his house like 5 times in one week because he had issues with blue screens, driver crashes etc. I successfuly fixed the issues a few times but they just kept coming back and I told him to return his 5700 XT and get a 2060 or a 2060 Super and he got the 2060 Super and since then he hasn't had any issues.

Just now, blackviking03 said:

Well, my friend bought components for his new rig and had me build it for him (because he didn't want to risk damaging the new components). He bought a 5700XT to combine with a Ryzen 7 and 16GB DDR4 memory. Everything worked fine after I plugged everything in and turned it on, I went to the AMD site ,downloaded and installed the newest drivers and everything seemed alright. Not more than 2 days after I built the computer he started having issues, I had to go to his house like 5 times in one week because he had issues with blue screens, driver crashes etc. I successfuly fixed the issues a few times but they just kept coming back and I told him to return his 5700 XT and get a 2060 or a 2060 Super and he got the 2060 Super and since then he hasn't had any issues.

Well then he is one of the 5% who have had problems. 

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

Well then he is one of the 5% who have had problems. 

I was an owner of an AMD card myself and I have had tons of problems with the drivers and since switching to NVIDIA I honestly never thought of going back to AMD (excluding the CPU, I own a Ryzen 5 2600 and I don't have any issues with it.)

Why risk with something when you know the other side will work better?

4 hours ago, gloop said:

@gloop do you have any suggestions on specific models because I don’t know much about amd gpu’s. I know many nvidea brands like msi and evga but I don’t know what would be a good option for a 5700 xt, thanks

10 minutes ago, Brodi Freeman said:

@gloop do you have any suggestions on specific models because I don’t know much about amd gpu’s. I know many nvidea brands like msi and evga but I don’t know what would be a good option for a 5700 xt, thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6kdrxr/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-gaming-oc-video-card-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3YTzK8/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-pulse-video-card-11293-01-20g

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WGLwrH/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-nitro-video-card-11293-03-40g

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vK4BD3/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8-gb-red-devil-video-card-axrx-5700xt-8gbd6-3dheoc   

whichever you like the look of more!

41 minutes ago, Brodi Freeman said:

Thanks you and why the teamgroup mp34 1tb ssd

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y6YLrH/team-mp34-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-tm8fp4001t0c101

because its a whole lot cheaper while offering only slightly worse drive performance. 

with few exceptions, the samsung drives are overpriced for what they offer.