Ubuntu - drive mounting points

23 minutes ago, mnsmith1968 said:

I read Manjaro has had some update issues, have you had any?

I have personally never had an issue with Arch, my wife runs Manjaro on her devices and hasn't had a issue so far.

Arch users should experience problems before Manjaro does, they hold back packages for 2 weeks to help prevent that. If a issue is found, they either hold it back until its fixed, or use there own workarounds.

Issues that affect Arch users should appear here https://www.archlinux.org/news/ usually they are minor when they do occur. shouldn't make its way into Manjaro.

Now anything from the AUR, will come down to the pkgbuild maintainer. Everything in the AUR is also targeting Arch, as such dependencies can break for AUR packages during the 2 week package hold on Manjaro. So far this has happened once on my wifes system, it however did not break the package, just prevented her from updating it.

Another thing to note, most things in the AUR are compiled from source using pkgbuilds and are maintained by individuals. Manjaro supports the AUR in its graphical package manager Pamac, however it is disabled by default. https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

I would personally recommend yay for AUR management, but I also prefer using the terminal. https://github.com/Jguer/yay

It extends on pacman and is a AUR helper.

• yay -Sy , will update the cache
  • yay -Syu , will upgrade all packages
  • yay -Ss keywords , will search for packages
  • yay -S package-name , will install a package
  • yay -Sy packagename , will update the cache and install the package, which is recommended

If you need a package that's not in the official repositories, there is a good chance its in the AUR.

Edited by Nayr438

11 minutes ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Just try to use the Gnome-Disks app, it's more like a fstab frontend and you can edit everything from there

Thank you @Chunchunmaru_ but I already Gnome-Disks and although, yes you can change disk settings, Ubuntu still wouldn't run anything else other than OS M.2 drive.

So @Nayr438 theres no 'SUDO' but 'yay -Syu' for terminal?

I hope the main install doesn't load the file system like below, even the Manjaro file manager list my disks as externals in the trial version!

Screenshot from 2020-06-30 19-18-06.png

....or maybe it's just my PC and that damn M.2 drive. :(

It may list them as external disks if they are not part of fstab. I am fairly unfamiliar with gnome and nautilus, I never cared for gnomes work flow or applications.

yay is a pacman and aur helper, it has to be built and installed, instructions in the link. you do not need to use sudo in front of yay, it will ask for a password when its ready to install something.

pamac is manjaro's default package manager and has a GUI, pacman is Arch's default package manager and is terminal only.

for pacman and other root tasks, you need to do sudo.

15 minutes ago, sp331yi said:

Oh well!  Since OP familiar with Debian, was going to suggest MX or antiX.

Manjaro ain't bad, though.

Current 'buntus are too buggy for me, personally.

Debian maybe the way forward but it takes a long time to set up properly and this time I'm running wireless and remember from last time how much of a pain it was to setup. MX or antiX which I hadn't heard of until today and are the basically the same disto made by the same team. After using Linux Ubuntu disto's for the last eleven years and one year of Debian think I need a little more so I will try Manjaro Gnome, I always liked the Gnome desktop. Just hope the new install sets up the drives correctly, if not I will have to use Debian Buster ....that will be some mission. 😱

Just keep in mind. On my system, when the drives are mounted in fstab. They do not show in nautilus, but do show in dolphin.

When you are setting them up in fstab, if that's the direction you continue to go, just set the mount path to a familiar directory, rather than /mnt/name

I keep my large hdd under /storage for example. my wife keeps her drive mounted as Games in her home folder.

Don't re-use the fstab I shared, as your root and swap partition will probably have a new uuid.

If gnome has something to handle this, I have no idea how it works or what it does. I can only offer fstab help.

On a fresh install dolphin lists them as removable drives until they are added to fstab, upon reboot they are shown as non removable drives on all of my systems.

Well having had Ubuntu 20.04 unexpected fatal error again I installed Manjaro this morning and yep, this original issue must be to do with my new computer or the new M.2 drive.

Think I've got to learn to live with it or find out what on earth is setup wrong within the black box sitting to my right?

Marjaro full install 2020-07-01 12-28-42.png

Ryzen_Final_Build.JPG

It shouldn't have anything to do with your M.2 drive. I have a M.2 drive in both of my desktops.

The only thing I can think of, is your motherboard reporting it as removable, though I have never experienced this.

If it was me, I would just mount both drives somewhere in my home directory as folders, like you did previously. It would remove them from showing as drives in nautilus, but they would be mounted to a directory you could easily find and access, could always bookmark it.

Screenshot_20200701_065815.png

Thanks for the suggestion but having tried Manjaro, I'm struggling to navigate it's terminal. I think I will go back to Debian.  

On 6/29/2020 at 3:14 PM, xAcid9 said:

Check BIOS if you accidentally set those ports as hot swapable.

I owe @xAcid9 a apology and @Nayr438 for that matter. 

This idiot was reading the online manual this afternoon for my Gigabyte X570 motherboard and no I hadn't set something after all.

The SATA mode selector was set to 'AHCI' which lists drives listed as external. Change to 'RAID'  and the following appears...

Sorry people.

other locations 2020-07-01 18-06-44.png

AHCI.jpg

To add, this is very strange as my other PC also running a Ryzen-Gigabyte setup with a 120 GB SSD plus 1TB HDD, if you set BIOS to RAID the PC will not boot into Linux?!

6 hours ago, mnsmith1968 said:

Thanks for the suggestion but having tried Manjaro, I'm struggling to navigate it's terminal. I think I will go back to Debian.  

Suggest MX for you and your machine, rather than Debian per se

About MX

Its an easier install and the community there is very helpful, too.

1 hour ago, sp331yi said:

Suggest MX for you and your machine, rather than Debian per se

About MX

Its an easier install and the community there is very helpful, too.

I was going to but oddly no matter what I tried, two different USB sticks, USB formats and numerous ISO downloads, I could not for the life of me get MX to boot.

Very strange. So now having learn't why drives were not list and finding out the cause of the Ubuntu 20.04 unexpected fatal error was down to a corrupted software centre, for the immediate future I'm staying with Ubuntu. 

No DVD ROM drive to burn to? 

Maybe go to their forum,  Or stick with a buggy ubuntu.  Your choice!

20 hours ago, sp331yi said:

No DVD ROM drive to burn to? 

Maybe go to their forum,  Or stick with a buggy ubuntu.  Your choice!

Funny you should say that, I have got a DVD writer and yes I have managed to get MX to go past the GRUB loader. Ubuntu seems to be running OK for the moment so for the time being I going to use it on Virtual Box, this way I can have some dummy runs installing and coping with any other issues that may come. 

With the internet being so bad of late with the lockdown plus we're on old overhead telephone wires here I suspect my connection was interrupted when I was downloading the MX Linux ISO files.  I take it your running MX?

antiX, myself.

Recently installed Miyo from Devuan.  Like it.

Use old machines.  No systemd.  No UEFI.

With newer machine and being a photographer, I think MX would be more suitable.  It's Debian, but much easier to install and get running.

If a device is shown as removable storage depends on udev's "HintSystem" and "MediaRemovable"

You can check it by

# udisksctl info -b /dev/sda1

# cat /sys/block/sda/removable

... and compare it to outputs for /dev/nvme0n1p1. Device names may slightly differ from my example.

An udev rule like this can force hotplug off at OS level if the BIOS doesn't:

KERNEL=="sda*",ENV{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"