Ubuntu - drive mounting points

Hi all, hope we're all well.

Ever since I upgraded my PC and I installed a new M.2 drive Samsung 970 EVO Plus as my OS drive for Ubuntu 20.04 the other SSD a Samsung 1TB 860 QVO and two HDD's both Seagate Barracudas have all been listed as external drives. 

Gnome-file-2020-06-20-18-02-03.png
These drives should listed below 'on this computer' not as externals as above.

On-This-Computer-2020-06-20-18-03-09.png

I know I have to change the mounting points in /etc/fstab file but not entirely certain what I have to change in the fstab file. 

fstab-2020-06-20-18-00-57.png

Much appreciate some help here, although I have been running Linux 12 years now, I never had this issue before or know why this has installed this way.

Cheers.

Check BIOS if you accidentally set those ports as hot swapable.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Check BIOS if you accidentally set those ports as hot swapable.

That's a thought, I'll check.

No doesn't look like it, certainly can't find anything like that listed. I have a Gigabyte X570 motherboard.

fstab current 30-06-20

Think this is something I best leave alone, a little beyond my knowledge and maybe not such a good idea to run three internal drives along with the O/S drive. Despite all I have tried I'm getting errors galore form the terminal and I am beginning to wonder if it was a bad install in the first place. 

current fstab 2020-06-30 14-50-20.png

lsblk-f

Sorry, it had to be in two parts as for some reason I have 'loops' galore which is my next problem to solve.

Screenshot from 2020-06-30 15-22-53.png

Screenshot from 2020-06-30 15-23-29.png

Just noticed, 'Seagate Backup Plus Drive' please ignore it just happen to be in use when I took these images. It's an external SSD.

So this is what I got, not sure why you had 2 swap partitions. This only has the nvme one.

• sudo umount /dev/sdb
  • sudo umount /dev/sdc
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# nvme root file system
UUID=ab41d663-2d4f-4bc3-bab7-dea3689f6ce5       /               ext4            defaults,noatime,rw        0 1
# nvme swap partition
UUID=4e8c2619-7633-4226-a57b-2926b5eeb855       none            swap            defaults        0 0
# movies
UUID=476c835b-21c8-43fc-800f-7582ab80108e       /mnt/movies     ext4    defaults,noatime        0 0
# photography
UUID=a2e22bc9-3909-45d8-8a89-7ed0a17b7b8e       /mnt/photography        ext4    defaults,noatime        0 0
  •  
  • sudo mkdir /mnt/movies
  • sudo mkdir /mnt/photography
  • sudo mount -a
    • if you get any errors, do not restart until its fixed.
  • sudo chown -R $USER /mnt/movies
  • sudo chown -R $USER /mnt/photography
Edited by Nayr438
added rw to root, just in case.

Thank you for doing that fstab file, unfortunately it did quite work as we hoped. As for the swap partitions, me neither I could only pursume it was something to do with the install on the M.2 drive. 

I know the answer is not far away, anymore thoughts? 

file shot after fstab 2020-06-30 16-01-07.png

After fstab update 2020-06-30 16-09-48.png

Whats the output of mount | grep ext4

also are your files from those drives in

/mnt/movies and /mnt/photography?

If not does sudo mount /dev/sdb display any errors?

5 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Whats the output of mount | grep ext4

also are your files from those drives in

/mnt/movies and /mnt/photography?

All drives are set to ext4 if I'm correct in thinking that's what your asking. 

mount | grep ext4 2020-06-30 16-18-07.png

says they are mounted. Are your files in those directories?

I went ahead and downloaded gnome files (nautilus), to check something.

Because of how they are being mounted, gnome files wont list them as drives, my dolphin file manager from kde however does.

Maybe nautilus doesn't list non-removable drives?

If you go to the /mnt directory you can however drag the mnt directories over to the sidebar as a bookmark.

You can also change the mount point to a different directory, should be fairly easy to figure out based on my previous post.

If I search for the drives, no they are in the directories anymore, only listed on the terminal.

I'll try what you've suggested.

does ls /mnt/movies or ls /mnt/photgraphy list your files?

They are mounted in those directories according to the fstab i provided and the output of mount.

/mnt with / being the root filesystem.

No, neither or these drives are listed in files but oddly the sda2 files is listed.

I try adding /mnt with / 

I just added Dolphin file manager from Snap Store. Yes it does work!

Dolphin 2020-06-30 16-46-01.png

Maybe I should use KDE and give up Gnome.

I find it odd that they are being listed as removal devices rather than normal devices. Unless its something do with it being snap or just Ubuntu being Ubuntu.

image.png.c5a3e27d0da23aea93ac2dd4d1391201.png

And yet upstairs I have a second Ryzen PC with the same Ubuntu 20.04 but only two drives an SSD and a HDD and that computer lists drives as they should be, in other locations.  I do wonder if it's something to do with the Samsung 250 GB M.2 drive I installed as a OS drive because after that install was where the problem started.

Maybe I should think seriously about using Kubuntu this one. Which one are you using? 

4 minutes ago, mnsmith1968 said:

And yet upstairs I have a second Ryzen PC with the same Ubuntu 20.04 but only two drives an SSD and a HDD and that computer lists drives as they should be, in other locations.  I do wonder if it's something to do with the Samsung 250 GB M.2 drive I installed as a OS drive because after that install was where the problem started.

Maybe I should think seriously about using Kubuntu this one. Which one are you using? 

I use Arch and would personally recommend Manjaro KDE Plasma if your uncomfortable with setting up Arch without a installer.

Ubuntu does weird things and ships fairly outdated packages, I personally have a lot of complaints with Ubuntu. But that's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

I use Arch and would personally recommend Manjaro KDE Plasma if your uncomfortable with setting up Arch without a installer.

Ubuntu does weird things and ships fairly outdated packages, I personally have a lot of complaints with Ubuntu. But that's just my opinion.

I've heard of Manjaro, might look into that. Arch is without a installer, that could be interesting!?

Look hey, I must thank you for all your hard work today, plus you and your family stay safe.

Cheers, Martin.

yea Arch itself has no installer, Things that come standard with say dolphin on Ubuntu will be optional dependencies you have to pick and choose to install. If say you install NetworkManager, the service wont just start, you need to tell systemd to auto start it, "systemctl enable --now NetworkManager". or you can just start it manually as needed so its not always running, "systemctl start NetworkManager".

For new users, it can be a pain to setup. If your familiar enough with Linux However, it puts you in control of your system from the very start, no unneeded services or bloat.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide

If that is a bit much however, Manjaro is built from Arch with a 2 week package hold. Pre-configured enough for most users.

I ran Debian 9 for a year on my old FX PC and am tempted to go back to it but it does take quite sometime to set it up, which Arch sounds like it works on the same sort of format.

Just reviewing Manjaro Gnome desktop, maybe I'll give it a try and see how it runs.

M.

52 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I use Arch and would personally recommend Manjaro KDE Plasma

I read Manjaro has had some update issues, have you had any?