How to clean the internals of a mechanical switch without desoldering and dissasembling it?

Newblesse Obblige

My RK61's Spacebar switch doesn't register sometimes. I read one forum thread and some videos that quick cleaning(or deep cleaning)will do the trick suggested: 

1. using alcohol and water solution and drop it into the switch
  2. use compressed air/canned air and blow it up
  3. use contact cleaner.
  4. an air blower(the one used in cameras) or small air pump 

which solution will do the job?

how do really clean it?

Edited by 5GigaaHertz

On 6/29/2020 at 6:05 AM, 5GigaaHertz said:

My RK61's Spacebar switch doesn't register sometimes. I read one forum thread and some videos that quick cleaning(or deep cleaning)will do the trick suggested: 

1. using alcohol and water solution and drop it into the switch
  2. use compressed air/canned air and blow it up
  3. use contact cleaner.
  4. an air blower(the one used in cameras) or small air pump 

which solution will do the job?

how do really clean it?

contact cleaner sounds good, then dry it out with compressed air or something. Just be careful with a compressor, I'm afraid a very high pressure blow might bend  the contacts (if it's anything like a cherry switch).

Desoldering isn't that difficult imo. Watch some videos from louis rossmann and learn from him how to solder (if the cleaning doesnt work). You would need
-screwdriver
-soldering iron
-wick

-flux

-solder

-zip ties or small flathead screwdrivers (to disassemble the switch)

even the cheapest stuff would be fine, don't overthink it.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

10 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

contact cleaner sounds good, then dry it out with compressed air or something. Just be careful with a compressor, I'm afraid a very high pressure blow might bend  the contacts (if it's anything like a cherry switch).

Desoldering isn't that difficult imo. Watch some videos from louis rossmann and learn from him how to solder (if the cleaning doesnt work). You would need
-screwdriver
-soldering iron
-wick

-flux

-solder

-zip ties or small flathead screwdrivers (to disassemble the switch)

even the cheapest stuff would be fine, don't overthink it.

its because cant do it flawlessly and properly and I dont have the tools to do so

14 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

its because cant do it flawlessly and properly and I dont have the tools to do so

if the washing/blowing don't work you could try a few computer stores or laptop repair stores if they have somebody who'd be willing to do it for a few bucks. Especially if you don't have any other options

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

5 hours ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

if the washing/blowing don't work you could try a few computer stores or laptop repair stores if they have somebody who'd be willing to do it for a few bucks. Especially if you don't have any other options

using alcohol and water solution 70% IPA and drop it into the switch seems to work. but I consider your suggestion if the problem still persist.

16 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

using alcohol and water solution 70% IPA and drop it into the switch seems to work. but I consider your suggestion if the problem still persist.

good luck, i'm glad you found a solution