Microsoft Scores Stunning Strike Against Zoom With Major New Feature

Summary

Microsoft's Mike Tholfsen has announced a cap increase to its Teams service to 300 participants. lately MS has bee adding new features and promoting its stronger security today it has finally done what most have been asking for by increasing how many people can be added to meetings and calls.

image.png.77ddf10a7f98b705fb7683cd5bc625b6.png

Quotes

Microsoft has just ramped things another level after confirming a major new Teams feature—the ability to allow 300 meeting participants to attend a video call.

Zoom is a very feature-rich service that’s very hard to beat in terms of usability. However, its reputation has suffered in recent months as a surge in users led to a number of security issues and vulnerabilities. 

Microsoft has been taking advantage of this by pushing the security credentials of Teams, and quickly launching new features to put itself on a par with, and sometimes beating Zoom.

My thoughts

Though I dont use Teams myself, this is a very good thing and gives those that use Zoom something else to use that is better in everyway. With is restriction removed it will allow for easier acceptance by groups using Zoom. I have been a strong proponent for schools (especially my children's school) to stop using Zoom because of its major security issues. I apologize for the short article but this big news for those needing to connect larger groups.

Sources

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2020/06/28/microsoft-scores-stunning-strikeout-against-zoom-with-major-new-feature/#1e75bb101aa2

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

but... Teams

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

but... Teams

I know... I know.  But I would take it over Zooms security holes any day.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I know... I know.  But I would take it over Zooms security holes any day.

can't we just go back to Hangouts

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

new phone who dis

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

new phone who dis

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Hangouts

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

but... Teams

What is it about Teams? I think it's a great application. 

I hate to imagine the chaos that a 300 speaking allowed call would result in. Out of interest, anyone know how many potential speakers were allowed in Skype for Business meetings? Guaranteed at least one person will forget to mute at some point. With larger number of attendees, found it more typical for it to be lead by a presenter (or team of), and unmuting the masses only during Q&A. I really don't miss that side of business meetings.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Nice, now our mother org needs to lift the 360p video limit they imposed on us 🙄

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

But, i only know 3 people. 🙄

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

This is incredibly good. As a person with teaching qualifications, Teams is by far the most reliable and robust platform next to Discord itself. Zoom, hangouts, Skype - all of these are a nightmare

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

uses for 300 concurrent participants:

• battalion roll call at home
  • video call battle royale
  • stadium stuffers over ethernet
  • twitch plays pokemon: facerig edition

LTX Online

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

My concern with Zoom is not so much its security. They have already bought out an encryption company and are trying to make a deal with Google cloud. What worries me is that they are being strongarmed into censoring and blocking users by the Chinese govt. This means they have somehow allowed the Chinese free reign to survey all zoom activity for "undesirables"

I'd happily use an alternative but unfortunately the biggest users of video conferencing services are businesses. And businesses are fat and slow to change 3rd party services that have been painstakingly approved and deployed to employees for use.

I happily avoided the issue with Zom's server being in China to avoid the political bloat that comes with that conversation 🙄

However that is the hinted Security Holes you can drive a car through I mentioned, along with the rest that exist.

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Who are the cursed people in a 300 people meeting?

Churches that still cant meet? School classes that exceed more than 100? there are many more.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Who are the cursed people in a 300 people meeting?

I've been in one with around 150, it sucks lol

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

I prefer Google's solution over Zoom. It's one less thing to pay for our university which already uses G Suite for Education. Also, Zoom's claims of end-to-end encryption seems to be misleading.

Screenshot (386).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Churches that still cant meet? School classes that exceed more than 100? there are many more.

3 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Broadcasting? Pre-recorded classes? It just doesn't make sense.

Keep in mind this is just Teams Meetings - voice / video conferencing for all. You've also then got Teams Live Events which are capped at 20,000 and have a moderated Q&A etc.

Being able to go that high is mainly for one purpose, "all-hands" meetings. As in big info meetings where only a few are supposed to speak. Since we were sent to work from home in early March, we've had weekly such status meetings where we end up in the 200-250 participant range. And a few even bigger meetings that go 300+. (This is on Webex).

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

23 hours ago, huilun02 said:

With multiple participants it quickly gets to the point where the only logical arrangement is to have one person speak and present at a time. And with hundreds of participants it effectively becomes a live streaming service where viewers have access to an integrated chat room instead of typing.

Imagine Twitch buying over Discord and then adding encryption and invite/password access to streams. And it can basically take on Zoom all on its own.

..That's exactly what Teams Live Events is - 20,000 attendees