Want To Do Fresh Win 10 Install. Is Build 2004 Fixed and Ready for Prime Time?

Handy_Cruiser

For the last six months, I've been using Windows 10 Pro.  I updated a "perfect" installation of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 that is now Version 10.0.18363  Build 1909.  This thing has been buggy, slow and needs a daily reboot to work right.  My machine is a "vintage" home build with an Asus 5A97 R2.0, AMD FX8350, 32 gigs of RAM and a Radeon HD5670 GPU.  Windows is on a Samsung SSD.  Files and programs are on a FireCuda Hybrid drive.  Work files are on an internal HDD storage drive.  This is a digital music creation and AutoCAD workstation.  I don't game.  And until the Windows 10 update, this machine was blindingly fast and perfect.  Now it's glitchy and I cannot paste images into MS Word or any MS Office application.    I've been able to fix many of the bugs over time, but not all and it will never be the great user experience I had for years with Windows 7.

My plan is a fresh Windows 10 install on a new SSD and then debloat it before installing my programs and files.  But I've been reading about all the issues with Build 2004.  As of June 28, 2020, is this build now ready for prime time?  Should I use an older build? Or should I wait a month or two until Build 2004 is perfected?

ABOUT ME:  I'm a middle-aged Safety/Environmental Engineer with two years of university Computer Science from the 1980's.  I've built approx.10 PC's and 2 local area networks over my lifetime, but I'm not trained in modern IT or Windows deployment. 

PCUpgrade01.jpg

@Handy_Cruiser First of all, I quite like your rig. Also, the build 2004 ain't that buggy. I've been using it since the update everyday and haven't seen any bug/crashes/system instability. But, it would also depend on your usage/devices plugged (like recent bug with printers not working). I mostly do browsing, watching videos, video editing( I'm learning how to xD) and heavy gaming and have not noticed any bug. So, if you're just a normal user, you should be good to go!

Haven't had any issues with 2004.

I would not have upgraded a Win7 install but done a fresh install. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I thought there was still a problem with the way Build 2004 trims the SSD way too often. 

Also, the reason I did an upgrade rather than a fresh install was because I had my Creative drivers set just right with the soundfonts I like to use.  I've been slow to give up hardware synth because it just sounds more real to me.

I'm using the 2004 build since last week and the only bug is that the os trims the ssd way too often like 2-3 times a day which will shorten the life of the ssd. The solution to this is to disable scheduled optimization in defragment and optimize drives.

?

The default scheduling is set to trim once per week, and as a matter of fact I just checked and while I've had it installed for several days it hasn't trimmed once yet. Just did it manually.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2