Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sushimus

Easier forum navigation

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was being nosey and pokin around all sorts of threads but I keep finding myself clicking to the left of the screen and being a bit bummed out when it doesn's do anything. I'd like to propose making this region an onclick back button so it's a bit more easy to get around the site for forum lukers like myself

Edit: I disabled my adblocker while making this post don't worry, I forgot it was on here

Screenshot from 2020-06-27 18-20-31.png

-Undeniably Indie™

29 minutes ago, Sushimus said:

So I was being nosey and pokin around all sorts of threads but I keep finding myself clicking to the left of the screen and being a bit bummed out when it doesn's do anything. I'd like to propose making this region an onclick back button so it's a bit more easy to get around the site for forum lukers like myself

Edit: I disabled my adblocker while making this post don't worry, I forgot it was on here

Screenshot from 2020-06-27 18-20-31.png

Doing such a thing in only one place would just create confusion.  Also not every group reads left to right.  There too to bottom and right to left as well.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This would serve no "good" purpose just use the browsers buttons in the corner what I do or just click back using the bar over the Forum suggestions text

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Why were you clicking on the left side of your screen expecting to go back in the first place? Are there other websites that have this feature? What websites?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

Why were you clicking on the left side of your screen expecting to go back in the first place? Are there other websites that have this feature? What websites?

Reddit

And I realise theres a back button I just thought itd be easier to click the large empty space to the left

-Undeniably Indie™

For some there's large empty spaces, for others there's not. I see very little value on this. Preferring tabbed browsing myself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

8 hours ago, Sushimus said:

Reddit

context: new.reddit.com

that's not strictly a "back button" to speak of; most "modern" "responsive" websites utilise "layered" navigation, in which a temporary frame would load in front of the base webpage location. clicking the background would return one-down

you're just too used to one type of site navigation. a lot of sites do not share one universal kind

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

that's not strictly a "back button" to speak of; most "modern" "responsive" websites utilise "layered" navigation, in which a temporary frame would load in front of the base webpage location. clicking the background would return one-down

So in Reddit, threads open as popups? Did I understood that explanation correctly?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

So in Reddit, threads open as popups? Did I understood that explanation correctly?

kinda like a popup, but not in a new window. it's more like a new iframe above the site

think twitter desktop when you click an image in an image post

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

kinda like a popup, but not in a new window. it's more like a new iframe above the site

think twitter desktop when you click an image in an image post

This, except Reddit really sucks at actually refreshing itself, so this route probably isn't a good idea.

Local dickhead and VHS collector. Less than avid Team Fortress 2 player.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 75% (content loudness 2.6dB)

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Brendan :^

moo floof enthusiast, pm me moo rabbit pics

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

context: new.reddit.com

you're just too used to one type of site navigation. a lot of sites do not share one universal kind

I see. I was forgetting about layered websites, I'm still stubbornly holding on to the old Reddit layout.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-3820 | Corsair H100i | ASUS P9X79-LE | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 1866MHz DDR3 | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Corsair CX750M Fractal Design Define R5 Windows 10 Pro / Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Laptop:

Dell XPS 15 9560 4K Touch | Intel Core i5-7300HQ | 12GB Generic (Crucial?) 2133MHz DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1050 | 256GB Toshiba M.2 NVMe SSD | Windows 10