NAS build help?

Go to solution Solved by Jonny.Wong.16,

Just for people who may come across this thread in the future, here's are the parts I went with.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX (Black) Desktop Case ($71.24)

MB: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.34)

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Dual Core 3.0GHz Processor ($65.99)

RAM: ADATA XPG v1.0 DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 2x8GB Dual Channel Memory Kit ($139.99)

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX430W ATAX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply ($23.99)

USB: Kingston 8GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler 100 ($5.24)

MISC: 4xSATA Cables ($15.98) / 2xMolex to SATA Cable Adapters ($2.38)

Total: $432.15 CAD

FreeNAS-Build-2.jpg

FreeNAS-Build-1.jpg

I want to build a NAS to replace my Javelin-S4. My main concern is to have enough CPU power for Plex transcoding (1080p bluray) with a budget ~$400-500. I already have the hard drives (6) as well as a Corsair HX650W power supply (WAY overkill) and 2x2GB of Patriot Memory laying around.

Here are the parts I've pick out so far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($46.82 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($78.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 (White) Mini ITX Desktop Case ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $215.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-27 15:27 EST-0500)

Will the CPU be enough for transcoding videos as well as the 4GB of ram? Also, I will probably need a RAID card to connect up to 6 hard drives?

Another question, what is the best free NAS software/operating system to run Plex? FreeNAS?

The CPU should be more than enough. Transcoding is an easy task for 1080p footage with modern CPUs.

You will need a RAID card, but why not get a motherboard with more SATA ports?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Maybe something like this with 6 SATA ports instead?

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($65.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.87 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $264.85
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 18:48 EST-0500)

More expensive CPU/motherboard, but I save a couple hundred on the RAID card.

Also, does adding an SSD add any tangible performance to a NAS? Or running FreeNAS off a USB drive is fine?

Maybe something like this with 6 SATA ports instead?

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($65.99 @ NCIX)

Motherboard: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($108.87 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $264.85

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-01 18:48 EST-0500)

More expensive CPU/motherboard, but I save a couple hundred on the RAID card.

Also, does adding an SSD add any tangible performance to a NAS?

Why not keep the Celeron processor?

An SSD isn't necessary, though it's recommended if you're leaving the system on very often. If the boot drive is mechanical, a failure could cause you to lose your data. I'd recommend a 32GB SSD, you won't need much more than that unless you install lots of programs. Adata has some good ones for relatively little money.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Why not keep the Celeron processor?

Why go with a previous generation CPU/motherboard? And that motherboard he mentions only has two SATA ports. The Pentium draws the same amount of power, and has very similar performance to the Celeron G1830 (Haswell), but costs $8 more. I would go with the Celeron G1830, along with the above mentioned motherboard, so you can take advantage of the six SATA ports.

EDIT: The G3220 is available cheaper, so that's the obvious winner. Sorry for the misinformation :P

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Why go with a previous generation CPU/motherboard? And that motherboard he mentions only has two SATA ports. The Pentium draws the same amount of power, and has very similar performance to the Celeron G1830 (Haswell), but costs $8 more. I would go with the Celeron G1830, along with the above mentioned motherboard, so you can take advantage of the six SATA ports.

EDIT: The G3220 is available cheaper, so that's the obvious winner. Sorry for the misinformation :P

Why the heck is the Celeron being sold for more than a Pentium?

Capitalize while you can!

Why the heck is the Celeron being sold for more than a Pentium?

Not from the same store. That's beauty of PCPartPicker :)

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

Anyone have experience with Windows Server 2012 vs. FreeNAS? I am registered with Dreamspark through my school where I can get Windows Server 2012 for free.

Anyone have experience with Windows Server 2012 vs. FreeNAS? I am registered with Dreamspark through my school where I can get Windows Server 2012 for free.

Windows Server doesn't have good storage management compared to FreeNAS. I highly recommend FreeNAS, there are great tutorials here and here. There's other information out there, that's the great thing about having an open software platform.

If you want to use freenas consider installing at a min 8gig of ram, you should use intel nic. My experience with freenas is extremely good but be prepare to read alot if you do not want to lose any data, the freenas community is a good way to start.

Just for people who may come across this thread in the future, here's are the parts I went with.

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini-ITX (Black) Desktop Case ($71.24)

MB: Asus H87I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.34)

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 Dual Core 3.0GHz Processor ($65.99)

RAM: ADATA XPG v1.0 DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 2x8GB Dual Channel Memory Kit ($139.99)

PSU: Corsair CX Series CX430W ATAX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply ($23.99)

USB: Kingston 8GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler 100 ($5.24)

MISC: 4xSATA Cables ($15.98) / 2xMolex to SATA Cable Adapters ($2.38)

Total: $432.15 CAD

FreeNAS-Build-2.jpg

FreeNAS-Build-1.jpg

I ams also considering a similar build so just out of interest, roughly how many 1080p transcodes can you perform at once with Plex?

Also are you using ZFS with FreeNas?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

I ams also considering a similar build so just out of interest, roughly how many 1080p transcodes can you perform at once with Plex?

Also are you using ZFS with FreeNas?

Yes, I'm using ZFS.

I just did some testing with Plex, and it seems like two simultaneous 1080p transcodes is the limit. Tested with direct play on my Desktop, and forced transcoding on my Samsung Smart TV, Nexus 7, and Galaxy S4.

I tried many combinations, and these work:

1) Direct play on desktop + 1080p (quality level 10/12) stream on TV + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 or Galaxy S4.

2) Direct play on desktop + 1080p (quality level 10/12) stream on TV + 720p (4 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 + 720p (4 Mbps) stream on Galaxy S4.

3) Direct play on desktop + direct play on TV + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Galaxy S4.

Yes, I'm using ZFS.

I just did some testing with Plex, and it seems like two simultaneous 1080p transcodes is the limit. Tested with direct play on my Desktop, and forced transcoding on my Samsung Smart TV, Nexus 7, and Galaxy S4.

I tried many combinations, and these work:

1) Direct play on desktop + 1080p (quality level 10/12) stream on TV + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 or Galaxy S4.

2) Direct play on desktop + 1080p (quality level 10/12) stream on TV + 720p (4 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 + 720p (4 Mbps) stream on Galaxy S4.

3) Direct play on desktop + direct play on TV + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Nexus 7 + 1080p (8 Mbps) stream on Galaxy S4.

Thanks for the info, I have been talking in another thread and so I will be going for a dual Xeon build using FreeNas and Plex.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree!