Good place to learn Linux?

Hello what's going on everybody! I'm wanting to switch my laptop from Windows to Linux but before I do so I want to understand Linux a bit more know some of the commands and what not. What's a good place that's free to learn linux?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME 

What I would do is maybe like @Electronics Wizardy suggested or just learn over time like I did you maybe will have to google in the beginning but some commands like sudo apt-get (For me on Ubuntu) will get just saved in your head after a while

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

17 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not fireup a vm on your system and play around in there?

I have it on a USB right now 

Honestly, the way I started using it was just taking an extra machine I had lying around and installing Ubuntu. The basic stuff is pretty easy to grasp. Working through menus and general navigation just requires a little common sense. If you are unsure of anything, there is pretty much always a guide you can follow which is how I learned. I never really learned many commands because typically I would just follow a guide and forget what I learned lol but I still managed to do fine.

It's really just like Windows in the respect that as you want to do more than basic tasks, you will naturally have to learn. Just expect to have to use the terminal at certain points which while honestly might sound daunting, can actually be quicker and easier for certain tasks.

14 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Honestly, the way I started using it was just taking an extra machine I had lying around and installing Ubuntu. The basic stuff is pretty easy to grasp. Working through menus and general navigation just requires a little common sense. If you are unsure of anything, there is pretty much always a guide you can follow which is how I learned. I never really learned many commands because typically I would just follow a guide and forget what I learned lol but I still managed to do fine.

It's really just like Windows in the respect that as you want to do more than basic tasks, you will naturally have to learn. Just expect to have to use the terminal at certain points which while honestly might sound daunting, can actually be quicker and easier for certain tasks.

Yea I see people use the terminal a lot so I assumed it's a major role in using linux

12 minutes ago, magicammo said:

Yea I see people use the terminal a lot so I assumed it's a major role in using linux

I tinker with raspberry pi's a lot which is linux based and barely know how to use the terminal...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it's not a necessity to know how use it well...it just saves time if you know what you're doing.

Google is a great resource to use for commands I can't seem to remember to save my life...LOL

12 hours ago, steelo said:

I tinker with raspberry pi's a lot which is linux based and barely know how to use the terminal...Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but it's not a necessity to know how use it well...it just saves time if you know what you're doing.

Google is a great resource to use for commands I can't seem to remember to save my life...LOL

Well after using it for a couple hours I am now a pro at installing apps via the terminal as well as removing them haha. One thing I'm having trouble with are the keyboard short cuts for copy and paste. So far the experience to me is like Android in terms of customization and Mac OS in terms of file management. If there's a way to make the file management more like windows that would be awesome I'm having a real hard time navigating the files 

4 hours ago, magicammo said:

Well after using it for a couple hours I am now a pro at installing apps via the terminal as well as removing them haha. One thing I'm having trouble with are the keyboard short cuts for copy and paste. So far the experience to me is like Android in terms of customization and Mac OS in terms of file management. If there's a way to make the file management more like windows that would be awesome I'm having a real hard time navigating the files 

You'll get used to it, but I agree...at first the file structure seems very foreign. I'm still a novice but forced myself to at least learn how to use some of the easier Linux commands and file structure. You have the root directory (just like any OS), /bin is where most of the essential programs as held, /boot, which contains the files necessary to boot. /etc holds the configuration files. Probably the strangest is the /dev...this contains files that represent devices, such as your disk, cpu, etc...

The next thing I'd learn is cron (crontab -e if I'm remembering correctly), this allows you to run scripts on certain days/times. I don't use it a lot but I did schedule the os to update once a week (sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade) with it...and I run a python program I created which texts me reminders. It can be very helpful for some....there are a ton of resources on how to use cron.

How does one learn linux I guess if you want to learn how the kernel works you can read up on that but what does this question even mean

You learn by using it, search for instructions if you can't figure something out. In the end we tend to use certain software more, not mess with basic OS.

If it was the only OS I used, I would research fixing network configuration and save local copy of instructions, not to end up internet less during self made error...

I know for a fact that wifi hotspot config can mess system up if done wrong.

10 hours ago, marcosmoutta said:

How does one learn linux I guess if you want to learn how the kernel works you can read up on that but what does this question even mean

Are you here just to be an ass? Because it sure seems like it if you can't comprehend what I'm asking why comment? It's clearly a question looking for a good source to learn from....

14 hours ago, steelo said:

You'll get used to it, but I agree...at first the file structure seems very foreign. I'm still a novice but forced myself to at least learn how to use some of the easier Linux commands and file structure. You have the root directory (just like any OS), /bin is where most of the essential programs as held, /boot, which contains the files necessary to boot. /etc holds the configuration files. Probably the strangest is the /dev...this contains files that represent devices, such as your disk, cpu, etc...

The next thing I'd learn is cron (crontab -e if I'm remembering correctly), this allows you to run scripts on certain days/times. I don't use it a lot but I did schedule the os to update once a week (sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade) with it...and I run a python program I created which texts me reminders. It can be very helpful for some....there are a ton of resources on how to use cron.

Dude that sounds pretty awesome

20 hours ago, magicammo said:

Are you here just to be an ass? Because it sure seems like it if you can't comprehend what I'm asking why comment? It's clearly a question looking for a good source to learn from....

LEARN WHAT SON? Learn how to install it? Learn how to use the terminal? For real, am I the ass? I just wanted you to say "this" so I could tell you

As stated, google is a great resource for learning Linux. Here's a few useful links I've bookmarked over the years to learn from:

Linux documentation project: http://tldp.org/

Linux command overview: https://ss64.com/bash/

The Kernel archives: https://www.kernel.org/

(I have more, but those are project-specific and some are quite out of date)

Having said that, the most useful resource is actually your Linux system itself! It has tons of build-in manuals, the (in)famous man-pages. Not all distro's install them though, but the popular modern desktop versions usually do. You can launch them anywhere on the cli:

man man

Type the above in a terminal and read it ;)  Use the arrow keys to navigate/scroll and q to quit.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

ITSFOS

First, learn the file system, then learn which config files to tweak in order to get it to do what you want.  Just  suggestions.

Don't give up.  Don 't be afraid to start over with reinstalling something different than the one you just tried.  https://itsfoss.com/learn-linux-for-free