PSU clicks 2-3 times when powering on

treeburgers

Hi,
I just finished assembled my much anticipated ITX setup - Just to find out that the build will not start.
Tried a bunch of trouble shooting, and i will try to explain as well as possible:

First thing i did after assembling was to unplug the +/- power switch connectors. Tried booting with a screwdriver to connect pins, but all the PSU did was make a couple of click sounds.
Then i used the paperclip method to check the PSU. Fan started spinning just fine.
Reconnected everything and checked every single connection to check for errors - Everything is well connected, so i didn't do more here
Removed all unnecessary components to check for a possible defect component. No success.
Then i tried switching the power supply to another one, which would give me a boot.
Tried taking everything apart and reassemble in case something was shorting due to something touching. No luck.
Tried putting the PSU in a different computer. Motherboard lights up to indicate power, but still will not turn on. Same 3 click sounds.

This is where i am right now. I am quite sure the PSU is dead. Bought it second hand as new a long time ago, so RMA is not an option sadly. 

My question is: Is it worth trying to fix it, or do i write this one off? Maybe someone encountered something similar and knows exactly what is causing it. It's a silverstone SX 500-LG SFF PSU

I do have a video of the sound, but i am unsure if linking that will violate forum rules. I am new here :-)

PSUs are dangerous to open.  There are some really big capacitors in there that can hurt or kill you if they’ve still got power in them.  If it’s new enough to RMA I would try that

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's not a new PSU that's still under warranty?

1 hour ago, treeburgers said:

but all the PSU did was make a couple of click sounds.
Then i used the paperclip method to check the PSU. Fan started spinning just fine.

Then i tried switching the power supply to another one, which would give me a boot.

What model was the other power supply you tried?

Your Silverstone PSU is modular, did you use any of modular cables from the other power supply with the Silverstone? You can't mix cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What model was the other power supply you tried?

Your Silverstone PSU is modular, did you use any of modular cables from the other power supply with the Silverstone? You can't mix cables.

Oh lord - I did buy some custom cables, using that for the CPU. Will cry a mix of tears of joy and sadness if this is indeed the case. Will try it out!

1 minute ago, treeburgers said:

Oh lord - I did buy some custom cables, using that for the CPU. Will cry a mix of tears of joy and sadness if this is indeed the case. Will try it out!

Try with the cables that came with the PSU and see if it boots.

Which cables did you buy? Did they specify what models of PSUs that were compatible with? Do you have a link to the ones you bought?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

28 minutes ago, treeburgers said:

WHAT?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!

Troubleshooting 101:  DON'T add outside variables like custom cables when troubleshooting!!!

Kind of super embarrassed to admit that it was indeed the reason! Honestly had no idea that this was a thing. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!