Are "NAS" HDDs necessary?

I am planning on building a NAS in the future, I was planning on using UNRAID since I have multiple random Seagate, WD, and HGST drives lying around. They are all meant for "desktop" use. Does it really matter though? Can I not use these drives in my NAS? I will have a backup of everything anyway so if one dies I can always replace it. I noticed pricing is vastly different, $54.99 for a 2TB Seagate "Desktop" Drive and $79.99 for an IronWolf "NAS" 2TB Drive; the one without Data recovery. What justifies spending $25 more?

Edit; I also just realized that the "NAS" HDDs are 5900rpm and the "Desktop" ones are 7200rpm?! Also the cache on the "NAS" one is 64MB whereas the one on the "Desktop" one is 256MB?!

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

I believe nas drives are rated for running 24/7 without wearing down while standard drives can wear down or break if running 24/7.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, Chickenfans said:

Can I not use these drives in my NAS

Yes, you can.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I believe nas drives are rated for running 24/7 without wearing down while standard drives can wear down or break if running 24/7.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Yes, you can.

So would it be ok to use the drives I have now and as they slowly die move over to NAS drives?

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

Just now, Chickenfans said:

So would it be ok to use the drives I have now and as they slowly die move over to NAS drives?

Yes, there is no technical reason for why regular HDDs wouldn't work for NAS-use. The NAS-drives typically have higher ratings for 24/7 operation and handle vibration slightly better, but neither of those aspects is a show-stopper or anything like that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Chickenfans said:

Yes. Just because a drive isnt a NAS drive, doesnt mean it wont perform for long periods of time. 

The idea of "NAS" and Enterprise drives, is they're rated for 24/7 use, have more vibration tolerance for closs proximity to a large number of other spinning disks, and they have functions such as TLER (makes the drive aware of a faulty sector so it will skip it instead of getting stuck on retrying). Some desktop drives implement some of the features of NAS drives, but not all. 

My UnRAID server is full of white label WD's shucked out of EasyStores. In dual parity even if some die, they cost me almost 50% the price of getting NAS drives...so for me it was a considerable price difference taking the risk of replacing the odd drive, vs buying all "NAS" drives like the WD Red's in my FreeNAS box. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

NAS rated drives are not explicitly necessary. They come with certain benefits that are not necessarily circuital for a home owned NAS.

You don't really need them.

The desktop drives with the big cache are probably SMR drives. You probably dont want those, especially if your using ZFS.

Other than avoiding SMR drives though, theres unlikely to be any real issue running "normal" drives.

A good place to source half-decent drives for a NAS are WD easystore and mybook external drives. They're perpetually on sale somewhere and are often significantly cheaper than a bare drive. Plus you get a nice enclosure and/or SATA to USB converter for free. Downside ofcourse is no warranty. However if your careful, you can open the enclosures without damaging them and if they did give you any trouble you could put them back into the enclosure and return to the store you got it from.

17 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

The desktop drives with the big cache are probably SMR drives. You probably dont want those, especially if your using ZFS.

Other than avoiding SMR drives though, theres unlikely to be any real issue running "normal" drives.

A good place to source half-decent drives for a NAS are WD easystore and mybook external drives. They're perpetually on sale somewhere and are often significantly cheaper than a bare drive. Plus you get a nice enclosure and/or SATA to USB converter for free. Downside ofcourse is no warranty. However if your careful, you can open the enclosures without damaging them and if they did give you any trouble you could put them back into the enclosure and return to the store you got it from.

He said unRAID, and using multiple different HDDs, so he won't use ZFS. SMR isn't as bad just in JBOD+Parity, but is ofc still in slower sometimes.

I have also heard that WD or Seagate or both have started using SMR drives in those external drives, but searching online might make you figure out what one are and what one aren't. Also some of them require you to tape one pin on the HDDs. (Don't remember what ones).

But NAS drivers aren't required, but on paper, NAS drives is less likely to die in a NAS configuration, I don't know if anyone have actually tested it tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking