Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

[Update] Apple discontinues Bootcamp for ARM Macs; Microsoft has no comment on Virtualised W10 ARM on ARM Macs

Posted · Original PosterOP

NB: Rosetta 2 is not an emulator. all x86 apps that go through Rosetta are translated to the ARM64 instruction set before the app is openable on ARM macs

Update:

The Vergehttps://www.theverge.com/2020/6/24/21302213/apple-silicon-mac-arm-windows-support-boot-camp

“Microsoft only licenses Windows 10 on ARM to OEMs,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge.

We asked Microsoft if it plans to change this policy to allow Windows 10 on ARM-based Macs, and the company says “we have nothing further to share at this time.”

Apple later confirmed it’s not planning to support Boot Camp on ARM-based Macs in a Daring Fireball podcast. “We’re not direct booting an alternate operating system,” says Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of software engineering. “Purely virtualization is the route. These hypervisors can be very efficient, so the need to direct boot shouldn’t really be the concern.”

Macrumors (quoting The Verge podcast): https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/25/talk-show-wwdc-gruber-federighi-joswiak/

While avoiding direct mention of Windows, Federighi acknowledges that you won't be able to boot directly into x86 operating systems on these Macs. As it stands, Windows can't be directly supported on the Arm-based chips of ‌Apple Silicon‌ via virtualization, but Federighi made clear that Apple is well aware of the situation, without tipping his hand on what developments may appear on that front in the coming months.

... welp. 2 years for Apple is now 2 years for microsoft as well ._.

• do not buy a mac if the program does not exist on macOS.
  • do not buy an intel mac for macOS11.

Spoiler

EDIT: additional "reading"

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10686/

• Apple SoCs will integrate their own GPUs
  • PCIe devices are still being hosted
  • PCIe devices now given their own separate memory IO unit, which means devices can't share each other's system memory pool
  • Apple SoCs run the ARM64 architecture, so i'm just going to keep calling them for what they are for now
  • ARM Macs are allowed to boot multiple installs of macOS environments of various generations, with a separate macOS recovery flow
  • each macOS install will have their own OS security policy under Apple ARM, contrasting intel with a system-wide singular security policy
  • Startup Options now evoked by holding the power button when machine is off, with GUI for specific options
  • "Target Disk Mode" now "Mac Sharing Mode" via sleeper environment over SMB
  • additional underlying system-restricted System Recovery partition in even that macOS Recovery itself fails to run 
Spoiler

bywYwXN.png

fFufX6m.png

59trvq6.png&key=5dd815066fbb5f5aae7f4c70e6b59b6be3c931a490b72992f674538a0d2b4c12

EDIT: APPLE ARM. JUST TAKE THE SPADE

source: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/about_the_rosetta_translation_environment

via: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/23/rosetta-wont-support-x86-virtualization-windows/

Macrumors:

Rosetta is meant to provide developers with time to create native versions of apps, and there are a few limitations that are worth noting. As outlined in developer documentation shared this week, while Rosetta will be able to translate most Intel-based apps, it will not work with Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

oh boy, first Intel (possibly AMD Radeon), and now Microsoft. Apple literally divorced themselves from the PC hardware industry as a whole there o_o

Right now, Macs have a Boot Camp feature that allows Mac users to be run on them, but Apple has announced no similar feature for Macs equipped with Apple silicon. Kernel extensions also aren't able to be translated by Rosetta.

now the ball is in microsoft's court to decide if the windows userbase on macs are worth keeping up for. their only mode of remedy would be to port windows to a native ARM system that Apple's hardware stuff can understand, although the ease of that task could be argued for, since most linux VMs are still operable under Parallels (officially, at least)

personally, i'm using the windows side on my MBP less and less, but it's still no less a saving grace for the few times i actually need it. i wouldn't blame microsoft if they decide to not port over to Apple ARM stuff, but it makes me wonder if they would want a similar push as well on the hardware side (they've started porting to mainstream ARM anyway, so...)

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

Windows on ARM is a thing that exists. they could add support for that possibly. 

i guess we'll have to wait for microsoft to comment on Windows 10 ARM support then ._.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Also it's nice to see apple going toward the casual users crowd. ARM will give them better battery life, more control, cheaper build cost and overall more tailored experience. 

they're making it clear that they want to target workstation users as well, all with their demo of Maya on that A12Z mac

it'd be suicide for macs to be portrayed as iPads with a bigger keyboard

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

they're making it clear that they want to target workstation users as well, all with their demo of Maya on that A12Z mac

Is serious workstation software being coded for ARM though?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

saw that. About that, "CAD on a mac" is a joke now.  Its more for casuals, you can buy a Mac mini with a Egpu or a cheaper windows PC that will outperform it. Hardware acceleration with the help of CUDA is a bit too much for some of us to loose. 

Most mac users are not MKBHD editing 8k video. They are casual people who don't need much power but need something better than the Ipad OS. With the new Icons, they showed how Mac OS and Ipad OS are coming together having the same SOC, Icons and Apps. its perfect, for a casual high school or uni student going into English won't use power hungry pro apps.  

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Most mac users are not MKBHD editing 8k video. They are casual people who don't need much power but need something better than the Ipad OS. With the new Icons, they showed how Mac OS and Ipad OS are coming together having the same SOC, Icons and Apps. For a casual high school or uni student going into English won't use power hungry pro apps.  

Apple would have to contend with the iPad Pro then

16 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Is serious workstation software being coded for ARM though?

that's their goal after the transition. now most workstation apps are probably being processed via Rosetta

Apple wpuld have to contend with the iPad Pro then

Nope, ipad pro is still a limited tablet. Most users don't know that they want, so apple is bringing Mac OS to a less portable Ipad pro, giving it a more free OS. IMO its smart, showing the users how capable the hardware really is. Its one of the reason why Macs don't have touch screen. 

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

Windows on ARM is a thing that exists. they could add support for that possibly. 

That is what I was thinking. I don't feel like it would be that much harder to just use that one and port it over.

1 minute ago, wamred said:

That is what I was thinking. I don't feel like it would be that much harder to just use that one and port it over.

it should in theory just work unless apple did some proprietary crap with their chips that prevents it from working properly. 

She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M HD 4000 | 8GB RAM256GB SSD | macOS

Just now, Ashley xD said:

it should in theory just work unless apple did some proprietary crap with their chips that prevents it from working properly. 

That does sound like a very Apple thing to do.

"What's a computer?" -Apple

Exactly. Apple hardware isn't a PC (Personal Computer). Apple could sell a gold plated abacus and people would still find a way to be upset about not being able to virtualize with it.

A walrus isn't a bird. Stop trying to make it something it doesn't want to be.

15 minutes ago, wamred said:

That does sound like a very Apple thing to do.

true. 

10 minutes ago, StDragon said:

"What's a computer?" -Apple

Exactly. Apple hardware isn't a PC (Personal Computer).

personal computer

noun

1. a computer designed for use by one person at a time.

Just now, Ashley xD said:

true. 

personal computer

noun

1. a computer designed for use by one person at a time.

According to Apple, it's not a computer, it's an experience. And you're having it inside their own walled garden.

It's not as personal as you might expect.

Just now, StDragon said:

According to Apple, it's not a computer, it's an experience. And you're having it inside their own walled garden.

I mean, using a Windows computer is kind of the same thing just inside Microsoft's (which happens to be more open) garden.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

Apple would have to contend with the iPad Pro then

But...iPad Pro is an Apple product...

"Apple would have to contend with the [Apple] then"

GIF edward norton - animated GIF on GIFER

I have a G7 and it's DELLicious!!!

| #HuaweiSucks | #MacsAreGoodComputersToo |

Meet Hex, my hexacore laptop!

i7-8750H  (6c/12t)
GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB

16GB DDR4-2666

1TB Crucial P1 M.2 NVMe (boot)

2TB Crucial MX500 SATA III (games)

1080p IPS 60Hz display

also in use...

Logitech G603 wireless gaming mouse

HyperX Stinger wireless gaming headset

Other tech: Product(RED) Apple iPhone XR 256GB, Logitech G203 Prodigy, Cooler Master Devastator II (just the keyboard), Sennheiser HD4.40BT, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Corsair HS70 wireless gaming headset

Tim Cook once again detailing the company. The whole project will end in a colossal failure since most real "pros" actively use Bootcamp and VMs on a daily basis. Killing x86 and bootcamp will kill half of the professional user base outright.

It's nice to see Apple taking themselves out of the market.

/jk

But seriously, it was expected when they announced their move to ARM.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well working towards being completely self-reliant is a smart move for the giant company. But as far as their product functionality goes, they seem to be trying to see how far they can push the consumer and get away with it.

Good luck to those who blindly suck up what Apple poops out

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

41 minutes ago, StDragon said:

you can customize macOS to the same extent as Windows... i don't see your argument here. 

Can we stop using terms like "real work" and "real professionals" in attempted denotation of their actual end use.

Mac is less than 20% of the market.  It doesn't matter what people consider to be "real work",  there is a higher percentage using something else for that very job.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Virtualization is a thing...

Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!
For years I have lived in these crystal lands. My people were once plentiful. Many of those in my fiefdom revered me. However, one day a calamity hit. The fingers of the devil plucked us from our land, never to return. Now I am the sole heir to the throne. I am Pickles, Lord of the Brine, One of the Jar, Man of Preserves and Last of the Condiments. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of your expertise." ~ Unknown

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1070 Hybrid (2100c/2241m) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

It exists, but it's terrible. If I remember correctly only 32Bit apps can be emulated? Basically no reason to have the dual boot option at that point. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, Iris Plus, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball