DDU Necessary?

RGBisKey
Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,

No

But if errors appear then - Yes

I plan on getting a new GPU soon, my question is is it absolutely necessary to DDU the drivers from the old card?

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

No

But if errors appear then - Yes

Quick and easy answer, I like it. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

I plan on getting a new GPU soon, my question is is it absolutely necessary to DDU the drivers from the old card?

It's certainly not a requirement to use DDU to completely remove all traces of your old driver off of your system and most of the times I just skip the step and uninstall normally through Device Manager without issues (usually). If a problem/s occur after installing the new card and it's drivers then I would try DDU and troubleshoot from there.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

7 minutes ago, RGBisKey said:

The answers here are very odd and very wrong. DDU is mandatory when changing the card else you are extremely likely to experience a varying degree of issues with performance, stability and even image quality/colors

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The answers here are very odd and very wrong. DDU is mandatory when changing the card else you are extremely likely to experience a varying degree of issues with performance, stability and even image quality/colors

I'd add disagree vote, as mostly there is no conflict when changing to different GPU.

I don't know why say it's mandatory? I've swapped about 20 graphics cards in the past 10 years, no conflicts. Rather more often conflicts appear after updating to new Windows 10 insider build.

The only inconvenience has been the control center of either nVidia or AMD being run on startup. So maybe removing drivers in regular uninstall method would be a good idea. Could use DDU, but if changing from AMD to AMD or nVidia to nVidia, there's usually no problem.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd add disagree vote, as mostly there is no conflict when changing to different GPU.

I don't know why say it's mandatory? I've swapped about 20 graphics cards in the past 10 years, no conflicts. Rather more often conflicts appear after updating to new Windows 10 insider build.

The only inconvenence has been the control center of either nVidia or AMD being run on startup. So maybe removing drivers in regular uninstall method would be a good idea. Could use DDU, but if changing from AMD to AMD or nVidia to nVidia, there's usually no problem.

Every time you change the core architecture you o write a bunch of files, you change around a bunch of registry entries and the result can be mild yes or it can result in total OS corruption (has happened to me twice) so I would always advise DDau as a safe and sound method

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Every time you change the core architecture you o write a bunch of files, you change around a bunch of registry entries and the result can be mild yes or it can result in total OS corruption (has happened to me twice) so I would always advise DDau as a safe and sound method

That's complete BS...well, maybe for AMD I don't know...but Nvidia cards all use the same drivers..you can pop out a gtx 1080 and pop in a 2080ti and you don't even need to reinstall anything...and no you won't get any of the stuff you talk about.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

48 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That's complete BS...well, maybe for AMD I don't know...but Nvidia cards all use the same drivers..you can pop out a gtx 1080 and pop in a 2080ti and you don't even need to reinstall anything...and no you won't get any of the stuff you talk about.

Popped out a GTX 750 To, popped in a 960, I got into a GPU driver bsod loop. It's not bs at all, it's what happens when you don't clean up the mess Nvidia drivers create when hot swapping cards

I have only used it to roll back drivers and when upgrading/downgrading video cards.

With Nvidia cards I always download the driver and select Custom (Advanced), then click "Perform Clean Install" when doing updates.

I also run at least 2 older games before and after an update since they are the games that suffer the most from new drivers. That is usually a game that uses the havok physics engine(Skyrim or Fallout 3 or 4) and whatever isometric game(Xcom, Fallout) I have installed.

There was a time at I had to have a dedicated computer to play old games so it is important to me that they stay working properly. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Popped out a GTX 750 To, popped in a 960, I got into a GPU driver bsod loop. It's not bs at all, it's what happens when you don't clean up the mess Nvidia drivers create when hot swapping cards

never happened to me in over 15 years of using nvidia cards and building custom systems and upgrading machines for me, work, friends, clients and family...dunno where you're coming from with this, sorry!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

when hot swapping cards

It’s probably the fact you hot swapped cards lmao.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Yeah haha...it's better to at least power the system off lol

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yeah haha...it's better to at least power the system off lol

System was obviously powered off, hot swap as in not making a single software change.

From my experience, it is generally not necessary.

I tested GTX780, 960, 970, 1070, 1070ti, RTX2070s with exact same driver. All of them work properly.

Intel I7-10700KF stock - Noctua NH-D15 - A15+A12x25 

Micron Ballistix Sport LT 4133MHz CL17-21-21-40 @1.45v

GIGABYTE AORUS 3090 Xtreme 1905MHz@0.919v/2010MHz@1.063v +900/750 memory clock

Seasonic PX-1000

Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh 

• 3 years later...

I know it's an old topic, but the only correct answer is YES, without butts. Maybe it worked fine before but now if you change RTX 3000 series to 4000 and don't use DDU you'll basically have 3000 series performance with 4000 series GPU. If you don't use DDU there will be no errors but also you'll not have as good performance as you should 

1 hour ago, PC_Professional said:

I know it's an old topic, but the only correct answer is YES, without butts. Maybe it worked fine before but now if you change RTX 3000 series to 4000 and don't use DDU you'll basically have 3000 series performance with 4000 series GPU. If you don't use DDU there will be no errors but also you'll not have as good performance as you should 

Fair point. Generational changes might need different drivers.

I edit my posts more often than not