Hard Disk Spin Up Loop & Clicking Noise

BorisL

Hey guys so I have an issue with my hard drive as of recently.

HDD: ST1000DM003-1ER162 - 1TB (Storage for non-loading screen intensive games & small apps)
SSD #1 - XPG SPECTRIX S40G - 1TB (For loading screen intensive games & big apps)
SSD #2 - KINGSTON SUV500120G - 120GB (For Windows, drivers, etc. mandatory things)

Absolutely everything else in the PC works fine except the HDD (and even the HDD AFTER the issue happens)

So here's how I get to trigger it:
I usually do my job on my PC every day from noon 'till night ~ 10PM (hard drive is never used during that time)

I start up a game after that, and what happens is that I will hear the HDD turn on and it starts spinning up, then it clicks and repeats that process ~ 10 times
After that the game loads and everything works perfectly fine.
If I shut the game off however, and do something else for an hour or so let's say, then the same scenario would happen when I launch a game again.

Another thing is, I had the same issue when turning my PC on every morning, and the issue disappeared when I changed to a different SATA port on my mobo.

The only other thing I can think of that happened and was out of what usually happens, is that I accidentally put my PC to sleep instead of shutting it down one night, and then woke it up instantly and shut down after that (Idk if that is even relevant to the issue but idk maybe the HDD got confused with it IDK LOL)

Thanks!

Sounds like your HDD is starting to fail. Use a program like Crystal Disk Info to check the health of the drive.

28 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Sounds like your HDD is starting to fail. Use a program like Crystal Disk Info to check the health of the drive.

Ermmm what the f... it says it's been on for 18378 hours??? Not physically possible, since my electricity was out a few days ago for a few hours...
NEVER MIND LOL
Just realized that means how long it's been on in total, not how long it's been going in one session... 😂

Either way, please let me know if anything looks off.

Here's a crystal disk screenshot:
image.png.3bc0e9030df989687cbb64f0c84eb93e.png

49 minutes ago, BorisL said:

Ermmm what the f... it says it's been on for 18378 hours??? Not physically possible, since my electricity was out a few days ago for a few hours...
NEVER MIND LOL
Just realized that means how long it's been on in total, not how long it's been going in one session... 😂

Either way, please let me know if anything looks off.

Here's a crystal disk screenshot: -snip-

Well according to that, it's healthy. Maybe you just have a loud drive? Does it actually behave abnormally, is it unreasonably slow loading?

15 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Well according to that, it's healthy. Maybe you just have a loud drive? Does it actually behave abnormally, is it unreasonably slow loading?

Well I can guarantee you it hasn't done that until a month or so ago whatsoever, so something is definitely not lined up.
When it does happen, a game that would load (through HDD) usually in 10 seconds, takes however long it takes the HDD to stop it's spin-up & clicking loop.
So
Normal game startup time when HDD was working: ~ 10 sec
Game startup time now: 40 sec - 1 min 20 sec
Varies on how many times it loops the spinning up process. 😔

EDIT: Also, just to add in, the drive itself isn't loud at all, actually quiet even when working full force. It's just the spin up and click loop noises that it makes that make me concerned.

Edited by BorisL