Issues with boot drives

William23r

Hi there, 

So windows is installed on a 250gb WD Blue NMVE M.2 SSD, and comes up as the boot drive when looking at disk management. Although when looking through the boot order in my BIOS a old 500gb WD HD comes up as the first boot drive and if I set it to the NVME it comes up with the black screen and no bootable media. I would be grateful if anyone could help me with this! Thank you. 

image.thumb.png.3c80190335663e8e853f203ce716bfd1.pngImage.jpeg

thumbnail_Image.jpg

Is your 250GB WD SSD Disk4 in disk manager? It is not booting to that drive because it does not have a EFI bootloader.

Looks to me the drive uses MBR partition table.

Confirm by right click Disk4, select properties. Choose Volumes tab. If the partition style shows MBR. Then you need to convert it to GPT first to have a UEFI compatible bootloader. This guide will help you

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

8 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Is your 250GB WD SSD Disk4 in disk manager? It is not booting to that drive because it does not have a EFI bootloader.

Looks to me the drive uses MBR partition table.

Confirm by right click Disk4, select properties. Choose Volumes tab. If the partition style shows MBR. Then you need to convert it to GPT first to have a UEFI compatible bootloader. This guide will help you

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

The drive is already using GPT I think, is there a way for me to create this EFI Volume?

image.png.b4eff0020115b8ec2a05878d095f70ba.png

image.png

7 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Hi thank you for this, sorry to bother you.

so When I do this with my C drive which is the NVME driver, I would do this, then set the NVME drive to the boot drive it should boot from the NVME drive all fine, and I noticed one of the lines is to quick format, I’m assuming this would quick format the newly created efi partition?

Edit: Do I need to boot from a USB or will it be okay booting it from my current EFI partition?

16 hours ago, William23r said:

I noticed one of the lines is to quick format, I’m assuming this would quick format the newly created efi partition?

Yes. The new partition has to be formatted as EFI. The next step then adds the windows bootloader to the partition. 

16 hours ago, William23r said:

Do I need to boot from a USB or will it be okay booting it from my current EFI partition?

Im not sure. Ive only done it from booting from Windows installation media.