Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper814

Dropped Iphone 6 in water! Works but has weird lines in different spots. Help!

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I have just accidentally fully submerged my Iphone 6 it was only submerged for less than a second and it was immediately dried off and had the water from the charger and audio ports dried out. I let it sit for about an hour before turning it on and it powered on fine and I was relieved before I saw these weird lines on it that seemed to be brighter than the other parts of the screen and parts of the outside of it colors looked blue instead of white. Please help! 

Before anything:

BACK UP YOUR PHONE
There is like damage on the screen and possible liquid damage on the display. It really needs to be opened and inspected. 
PSA complete. After that, best of luck. 

Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!
For years I have lived in these crystal lands. My people were once plentiful. Many of those in my fiefdom revered me. However, one day a calamity hit. The fingers of the devil plucked us from our land, never to return. Now I am the sole heir to the throne. I am Pickles, Lord of the Brine, One of the Jar, Man of Preserves and Last of the Condiments. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of your expertise." ~ Unknown

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1070 Hybrid (2100c/2241m) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

If this happens again in the future, wait a few days instead of an hour. An hour isn't enough for the inside to fully dry out. As for this phone, you probably need to replace the screen if you want to fix that problem, but water damaged electronics could give problems later on, so even though everything mostly works right now, that may change. I would recommend backing up your data and getting a different phone, or if you really want to keep this one and want to risk the phone randomly dying later on, still back up the device, then you could replace the screen.

I have pictures that ill be posting in a couple minutes... and you can see them on it so it is not the actual panel. I think something got messed up because of the water and is causing artifacts.

Edit: By "panel" I meant the glass protecting it

4 minutes ago, Reaper814 said:

Hello, I have just accidentally fully submerged my Iphone 6 it was only submerged for less than a second and it was immediately dried off and had the water from the charger and audio ports dried out. I let it sit for about an hour before turning it on and it powered on fine and I was relieved before I saw these weird lines on it that seemed to be brighter than the other parts of the screen and parts of the outside of it colors looked blue instead of white. Please help! 

You let an electronic device that was fully submerged sit to dry out for only an hour before powering it on again? That's definitely not good - even if it was only submerged for 5 seconds, that's enough time for water to worm its' wait into the inside of the phone. You'd best want to power it down immediately, then let it sit for 72 hours or longer in a warm, dry place, preferably in a bed of dry rice. Even then, water damage has most likely already been done since you're seeing abnormalities on your screen, so best look for a place that can replace the logicboard, screen, battery, and any other circuit boards in the phone.

If the phone ultimately dies, worst case you'd replace it with another iPhone, login with your Apple ID, then restore an iCloud backup.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Okay thanks for the advice ill power it down and let it dry. I'll learn from this and hope for the best

14 minutes ago, Reaper814 said:

@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

7 minutes ago, kirashi said:

bed of dry rice.

I second this. Rice helps absorb the water. But there is a high chance of rice getting in the charging port, so make sure you get that out after you remove it from the bag of rice.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

36 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You'd best want to power it down immediately, then let it sit for 72 hours or longer in a warm, dry place, preferably in a bed of dry rice.

27 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I second this. Rice helps absorb the water. But there is a high chance of rice getting in the charging port, so make sure you get that out after you remove it from the bag of rice.

That actually doesn't do anything.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

50 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If this happens again in the future, wait a few days instead of an hour. An hour isn't enough for the inside to fully dry out. As for this phone, you probably need to replace the screen if you want to fix that problem, but water damaged electronics could give problems later on, so even though everything mostly works right now, that may change. I would recommend backing up your data and getting a different phone, or if you really want to keep this one and want to risk the phone randomly dying later on, still back up the device, then you could replace the screen.

If you dry out a phone or any electronic device with the battery still plugged in, it won't matter if ti is try. You can and will still kill the device. The only way to really properly do it is open it, remove the board, put it into some 99% rubbing alcohol (IPA is hydrophilic aka water loving), swish it around for a minute or so, dry it off for 24 hours, then pray. Otherwise you are SOL. 

If you need to clean it, it will be an ultra sonic cleaner, IPA (99% if possible), dry then attempt. 

Be sure to @Pickles - Lord of the Jar if you want me to see your reply!
For years I have lived in these crystal lands. My people were once plentiful. Many of those in my fiefdom revered me. However, one day a calamity hit. The fingers of the devil plucked us from our land, never to return. Now I am the sole heir to the throne. I am Pickles, Lord of the Brine, One of the Jar, Man of Preserves and Last of the Condiments. 

"Everyone is an expert in something. Never approach an interaction thinking someone is otherwise. Knowledge is acquired not earned. Always be humble and wise. Never look down on others for simply being ignorant within your realm of your expertise." ~ Unknown

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1070 Hybrid (2100c/2241m) | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD | 4TB HDD 

8 hours ago, kirashi said:

You let an electronic device that was fully submerged sit to dry out for only an hour before powering it on again? That's definitely not good - even if it was only submerged for 5 seconds, that's enough time for water to worm its' wait into the inside of the phone. You'd best want to power it down immediately, then let it sit for 72 hours or longer in a warm, dry place, preferably in a bed of dry rice. Even then, water damage has most likely already been done since you're seeing abnormalities on your screen, so best look for a place that can replace the logicboard, screen, battery, and any other circuit boards in the phone.

If the phone ultimately dies, worst case you'd replace it with another iPhone, login with your Apple ID, then restore an iCloud backup.

Dry rice is bad, leaves residue on the PCB

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Dry rice is bad, leaves residue on the PCB

Yup, it does, however, if it makes or breaks the difference between the phone not powering on in order to backup one's data, "I'll take Dry Rice for $1000 any day of the week, Alex" because most of my IT clients' value their data more than the device as soon as they realize it could be lost forever.

Desktop: KRySTaLoGi-PC Build Log (i7-4790K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Bell - Unlimited Calling & Texting + 10GB Data
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | HP Touchpad | ASUS ME302C
Camera: Canon SX280 + Rebel T1i (500D) | Sony HDR-AS50R | Panasonic DMC-TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 hours ago, kirashi said:

Yup, it does, however, if it makes or breaks the difference between the phone not powering on in order to backup one's data, "I'll take Dry Rice for $1000 any day of the week, Alex" because most of my IT clients' value their data more than the device as soon as they realize it could be lost forever.

Or you could just leave it longer to dry :) 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

The phone works great now and only has one small line left over on it!