im i the only one not freaking out over 4K?

SAV1OUR

1080p is good enough for me until the price drops to a reasonable amount, and there are GPUs that can easily handle at least 60fps without SLI or crossfire. Will be nice not to worry about AA much anymore though due to the high pixel count, 

Early adopters are still reporting the need for AA. Its an increase in fidelity but its not enough to remove the eyes ability to resolve the pixels, not by a long way.

Early adopters are still reporting the need for AA. Its an increase in fidelity but its not enough to remove the eyes ability to resolve the pixels, not by a long way.

Then will definitely be waiting for more powerful GPUs.

4k gaming is definitely early adopter status atm...seems like you need to invest about 5.5k before you get 60fps+.  obviously people who de,and the best won't give a fuck.

4k for work is freaking glorious though. only $700 for a dell 4k

I don't see an advantage to a 27" 4k monitor until windows can handle high resolutions better and still keep the text readable. Right now the text on my 27" 1440p is as small as I would want to go.

However,if they were to make a color corrected 36" ish monitor for a decent price... I would probably be all over that.

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's 

^only for people that need scaling.  also an approval of metro UI incidentally lol.

are you referring to something else?

but ya, windows scaling is pretty good most of the time, but when it doesn't work with older programs, it gets REALLY bad.  glasses > windows scaling.

If you perhaps wanted to see what 4k might be like you actually can approximate it reasonably well. If you assume its about fidelity then take an image of a game captured at 4k, view just a quarter of the image in the screen and then sit twice as far back (technically its a little further than that by like 5cm or so as the relationship has tan and invtan but doubling is a very close approximate).

So if you wanted to see if you could genuinely use a 4k monitor of similar size to your current one with 4 apps open each taking a quarter of the screen then you can simulate what one of those apps would look like simply by maximising the app and sitting at double the distance.

What sitting further away does is increase the pixels per degree (PPD) to the eye. So with a ~ doubling of distance and keeping everything else the same you double the PPD and hence the density of the pixels. Because you have 1 quarter of the pixels on your 1080p screen to get a 1:1 pixel to pixel relationship you need to increase the distance in order to increase the pixel density to the eye. Its not possible to simulate it the other way by putting 4 apps on the screen with a 50% scale because you don't have enough pixels on the screen. Its worth trying this out if you haven't done so already, will give you a good idea of what 4k does and does not bring.

I'm pretty excited but not really from a gaming stand point. More about the productivity. Having 4 full-sized screens sounds appealing :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

My eyesight isn't all that and i don't want glasses so i wouldn't really get much more out of it, so i don't care that much either. Although it's nice in the movie theater with the billion inch 4k projector

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

My tax refund isn't coming until April. If Vizio releases the P-Series by then, I'm getting a 60". If not, then next year. I bought a 3DTV year 2, when the Samsung 50" was $1200, before they were SMART TVs. This is basically year 2 for 4K in the consumer segment. Firmware updates are common place now. So, I won't be worried if the UHD standard changes a bit. I will definitely try and play Single-player/campaign games at 4K/30, but it's mainly to watch videos/movies when available. I wasn't upset that I only had 5 3D movies, it was still worth it. Especially Avatar. Didn't see it in the theaters. Watched for first time on 3DTV.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

How is this even a thread?!!!!!!!!! Seriously this is a tech forum isnt it? and people still dont understand the importance of this? i cant wait for 4k its going to be awesome when im playing truck simulator or majority of other games i wont be confined to a small space ill be able to see alot more and ill be able to do so much more productivity everything is going to look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want 2 or 3 24" dell 4k monitors also this is what drives the industry forward gpu makers are actually going to have to make something worth $700!!! unlike the terrible 780!

How is this even a thread?!!!!!!!!! Seriously this is a tech forum isnt it? and people still dont understand the importance of this? i cant wait for 4k its going to be awesome when im playing truck simulator or majority of other games i wont be confined to a small space ill be able to see alot more and ill be able to do so much more productivity everything is going to look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want 2 or 3 24" dell 4k monitors also this is what drives the industry forward gpu makers are actually going to have to make something worth $700!!! unlike the terrible 780!

wow man calm down i was just asking for people opinion thats allowed on a tech forum 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

wow man calm down i was just asking for people opinion thats allowed on a tech forum 

Sorry im just so F***ing hyped for 4k and i dont understand how people that have the same interest as me (tech) arent so excited i can just imagine i can do so much its just awesome im freaking out right now!

Sorry im just so F***ing hyped for 4k and i dont understand how people that have the same interest as me (tech) arent so excited i can just imagine i can do so much its just awesome im freaking out right now!

Many Pixels. Such Amaze. Wow.

Honestly, Just get 1440p. It isnt stupid expensive and the pixel density is great. And it's not so demanding. It will probably another generation after Maxwell before we see a 4k capable card.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Honestly, Just get 1440p. It isnt stupid expensive and the pixel density is great. And it's not so demanding. It will probably another generation after Maxwell before we see a 4k capable card.

already have 1440p and its really not enough.

Edit: im skipping maxwell keeping my 780 until after when i can get something that has atleast 6gbsvram under $1000

4k is like only $100-$150 more than 1440p in NA

the funny thing is, i actually spent more on my 1440p than my 4k

I'm way more excited about 8K. 4K will become what 720p was to 1080p soon after 4K hits mainstream.

I'm way more excited about 8K. 4K will become what 720p was to 1080p soon after 4K hits mainstream.

Nascent tech!

Hobox10 is right...think how long it took for 1080p to become standard. I remember 15 years ago reading about it.

If a Note3 can take video @ 4k and 4k 65" televisions are going for 3000$ now, retina display being "outdated"...this means

That the supply lines, resources, assembly line infrastructure (12,000$ OLED 15" TV a year or 2 ago anyone?) has reached the point where as far as rez is concerned, it's going to be a few years until 8K becomes the new 4K- by that time 4K will be 1080p price...the problem for "regular" high-end PC-Folks the unequal advancement of technologies- specifically GPUs being able to keep up with the speedy evolution of UHD and (what's 8K?) UUUHD(?).

I'd much rather play the craziest, graphically intense game using the latest engine at 1080p with every single setting over-maxed at a constant 60fps over the same game at 60fps 4K set on medium-high.

It's rather archaic and clunky- having to string 3x GPUs in XFire/SLI, scaling loss etc...just to play current gen games on 1 4K monitor.

290x/Titan Black...or 1500-2000$ worth of GPU! It's ridiculous.

It won't be analogue CRT "CGA/EGA/VGA etc" like progress. Just wait a few years. GPU tech hasn't gone thru a real TOCK (none of this 30% improvement p/year stuff) in a looooong time. Yeah. Better temps. We're still using damn h2o fer cripes sake! Something tells me (based of no empirical anything) that with all these tech giants making a gazillion acquisitions, a real TOCK is upcoming. 1440 on full blast with witcher 3 running fast/smooth will probably hurt current $$$ systems. In 2 years? It'll all look kinda goofy. In 3-4 years? Observing how 4K displays went from "untouchable" a year ago to what's going on now- no reason the same won't apply to 8K.

If one can go 1440 all fancy/ultra with the most demanding engines of present- stay-put. Trying to "4K" gamer style in present time when we're clearly in a 1440 max'd world is $$$ down the drain. Wait fer the TOCK.

Btw- anyone seen an 8K IRL? (serious question)

Do you all feel that the current pixel density is that bad? I am all for increasing fidelity but it strikes me that 4k isn't a significant jump in visual quality considering its cost. There are a lot of issues right now with scaling and that needs to be fixed before it becomes really viable.