H100i heating up alongside my 4790K

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
On 6/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

Turning my PC back on into the BIOS running the CPU at 100C degrees.

Also I found out recently that the pump or the fan is making this rattling sound that is annoying as the room and the computer is usually quiet.

Figure out exactly which one it is, but likely you have a dying pump.

Hey everyone,

You most likely would remember my previous threads more than a year ago about my 4790K overheating. However with Corsair H100i cooled the CPU down drastically that I could OC to 4.7GHz with mid 70C degrees temp at Max CPU usage until today.

Two weeks ago I realised my computer would shut down at midnight when I leave my PC to download steam games.

Turning my PC back on into the BIOS running the CPU at 100C degrees. One of the pipes is boiling hot whereas the other isn’t warm but cool.

I’m in a pickle now, I can’t use my computer without feeling cautious on the temperatures. At idle, the CPU temps are 41-49C, it’s when the CPU usage increases drastically that’s when the temperature goes haywire.

Also I found out recently that the pump or the fan is making this rattling sound that is annoying as the room and the computer is usually quiet.

i7 4790K

GTX 1080 (GIGABYTE)

32GB 2400MHz Corsair Vengence and G.Skill

1000w gold Aerocool Xpredator

MSI Z97X Gaming 5

I have remounted the damn thing 2-3 times today, the thermal paste wire off quickly (the thermal paste was reapplied two weeks ago)

On 6/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

Turning my PC back on into the BIOS running the CPU at 100C degrees.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 6/19/2020 at 4:46 PM, TVwazhere said:

I’ve opened an RMA case with Corsair right now.

I was thinking that too. When I first mounted this AIO up (I did a noob mistake and didn’t mount the backplate on properly) it still gave me decent temperatures. Now it’s like someone added petrol on my CPU and lit it up with a match.

15 minutes ago, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

I’ve opened an RMA case with Corsair right now.

I was thinking that too. When I first mounted this AIO up (I did a noob mistake and didn’t mount the backplate on properly) it still gave me decent temperatures. Now it’s like someone added petrol on my CPU and lit it up with a match.

Yeah, if one of the tubes is hot, and the other is cool, then the liquid is not flowing -- the hot liquid is staying in place.

Points to a pump related issue.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

15 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Yeah, if one of the tubes is hot, and the other is cool, then the liquid is not flowing -- the hot liquid is staying in place.

Points to a pump related issue.

Well that sucks then.

I’ll update you guys when the RMA happens and the replacement has arrived and installed.

EDIT: I wiggled the tubes around slightly, maybe lightly pressed them. It sort of helped the temperatures but they're still too high. However Windows will now give me WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD if the CPU reaches 99C.

Edited by XxDEATHB3TCHxX

On 6/19/2020 at 10:38 PM, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

Hey everyone,

You most likely would remember my previous threads more than a year ago about my 4790K overheating. However with Corsair H100i cooled the CPU down drastically that I could OC to 4.7GHz with mid 70C degrees temp at Max CPU usage until today.

That's quite an old cooler. It's about time for it to die... That's aios for you

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

5 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

That's quite an old cooler. It's about time for it to die... That's aios for you

What do you suggest that I do? I don't have any experience in custom water loops and such, and I'm afraid to do that since it's water that I'm dealing with. Don't want any leakages or mistakes that could cost me more.

4 minutes ago, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

What do you suggest that I do? I don't have any experience in custom water loops and such, and I'm afraid to do that since it's water that I'm dealing with. Don't want any leakages or mistakes that could cost me more.

switch to air.. Why do you have an aio?

A noctua nh-u12a is 158mm tall, it should fit most cases. It's competitive with aios, probably a lot less noisy and cheaper. 10/10 reliability and ease of maintenance

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

46 minutes ago, 00RaZoR11 said:

switch to air.. Why do you have an aio?

A noctua nh-u12a is 158mm tall, it should fit most cases. It's competitive with aios, probably a lot less noisy and cheaper. 10/10 reliability and ease of maintenance

Because this AIO helped the temperatures of the CPU a lot. I used 212 Evo air cooler, it was good for the time being but compared to this AIO, the temperatures were marginally better. That is the sole reason why I switched.

1 minute ago, XxDEATHB3TCHxX said:

Because this AIO helped the temperatures of the CPU a lot. I used 212 Evo air cooler, it was good for the time being but compared to this AIO, the temperatures were marginally better. That is the sole reason why I switched.

alright. I'd suggest you look up some reviews on the nhu12a, be quiet dark rock 4 pro, thermalright silver arrow ib-e, and nhd15. All of them should easily fit in your case. You MIGHT have to reduce the OC to 4.6, but I think it's worth it.

On 6/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, 00RaZoR11 said:

alright. I'd suggest you look up some reviews on the nhu12a, be quiet dark rock 4 pro, thermalright silver arrow ib-e, and nhd15. All of them should easily fit in your case. You MIGHT have to reduce the OC to 4.6, but I think it's worth it.

So I ended up getting Arctic Liquid Freezer II for now since its very boring without my PC to use. The current H100i is quickly deteriorating. Now at idle the CPU goes at 71-99C whereas before it’ll idle around 50C (however the temperature still increases rapidly when playing games).

Still got no replies from Corsair for my RMA ticket for my H100i (today is the fourth business day).

It helped the performance of your CPU a lot because you were using a 212. That cooler had a hard time with my 3770K. Not a good cooler regardless of what anyone says.

Say no to Corsair, and all of their shit.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

It helped the performance of your CPU a lot because you were using a 212. That cooler had a hard time with my 3770K. Not a good cooler regardless of what anyone says.

Say no to Corsair, and all of their shit.

Yeah I agree. I only used 212 Evo for the time being since, as we all know, stock coolers are trash. I seen the reviews the cooler had, so I thought I gave it a try. The cooler helped with stock clocks temperature but didn’t when I overclocked. Or in fact whenever I use RPCS3 emulator.

Thats when H100i came into play, the cooler is awesome, when it works. 4.7GHz - even with Adaptive + Offset (?) VCore setting on (no manual vcore) the AIO managed to keep mid-70s at max CPU usage. At idle, it would rock at approx mid-to high 30s.

The new AIO is coming tomorrow and I can’t wait to use my PC without any worries. I still don’t understand what’s up with this H100i.

Edit: The rattling sound is definitely is coming from the AIO, but I can’t find what part of it that is making the sound. Sounds like it’s the radiator making the sound.

I had one before. You can expect about a year or so of good service, after that, or maybe even before you will notice it start to degrade. Luckily you don't have a CPU that is too hard to cool. It just runs hot.

So the Liquid Freezer II came and I installed it, was a little pain to install it. The performance is similar to how H100i first operated. Although H100i performed tiny bit better with temperatures but nevertheless I can now overclock at 4.7GHz. 

Using OCCT to stress test the cpu raises the temps to stable low 80s which I’m fine with as normal 100% CPU usage reaches 70C in temperature. And finally, no more rattle sound in my PC. Seems like the H100i caused this, what I’m not sure is if it’s the fan or the pump.

Corsair still hasn’t responded to my RMA request for a week now. I need this defective unit to be replaced. I understand the pandemic has cause problems and challenges with companies & manufacturers but I feel like my RMA ticket is completely ignored.

They are probably waiting for another shipment to arrive for a fresh batch of rmas. The rattle was the pump. At least you got your overclock back, enjoy!

On 6/26/2020 at 10:23 PM, freeagent said:

They are probably waiting for another shipment to arrive for a fresh batch of rmas. The rattle was the pump. At least you got your overclock back, enjoy!

Well apparently, Corsair replied today, saying this AIO does not have a warranty despite being purchased last year, even though I had attached the receipt to them...

Alongside with it, are several troubleshooting questions etc.

I don't even know what to say, but I'm going to avoid Corsair completely if this doesn't get solved.

I don’t think Corsair actually makes anything. They pay a bunch of companies to make stuff for them, and then put their sticker on and call it awesome.

Corsair has been the new ThermalTake of the computer world for a while now. Or should I say the scourge of the pc world lol. Mediocre.