There's no vintage/retro computer subforum

emosun

Should there be a retro/vintage computers subforum?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a retro/vintage computers subforum?

• yes
    • no

It's a computer forum so , old computers should have their own section no?

When questions ARE asked about retro machines it's usually met with a "replace/upgrade/don't use it" reply. I feel like if these questions had their own section it would be more apparent their intent is to use it on purpose.

Not to mention I'm willing to bet most here are more than fluent in old computers and could help with them quite easily but feel obligated to say not to use it as a daily driver.

Is this what you're looking for?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

Just now, zeusthemoose said:

Is this what you're looking for?

Nope

2 hours ago, emosun said:

Nope

Hobby Electronics is close, and I don't think there's more need than that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Hobby Electronics is close, and I don't think there's more need than that.

maybe just renaming it to hobby electronics/computers

Because when i think of hobby electronics i think of arduinos / servos / breadboard stuff and the like. Not so much computers

5 hours ago, emosun said:

It's a computer forum so , old computers should have their own section no?

When questions ARE asked about retro machines it's usually met with a "replace/upgrade/don't use it" reply. I feel like if these questions had their own section it would be more apparent their intent is to use it on purpose.

Not to mention I'm willing to bet most here are more than fluent in old computers and could help with them quite easily but feel obligated to say not to use it as a daily driver.

Do you think about old machines like the Amiga, C64, Amstrad cpc, Atari ST, Vic 20, ZX Spectrum and similar?

because in that case i definitely agree that we need a subforum.

then again maybe we shouldn't be on this website (for this kind of tech) to begin with.

As i would consider LTT to be LHTT

Linus High Tech Tips

If such a subforum existed I would be glad to throw in on this.

Can definitely help with things that's AMD related from Socket A onward, a good deal of what I know about is from the older stuff and I do own a few records with the old stuff such as this one:

Bones`s Reference Frequency score: 495.77 MHz with a Infinity NF4X
That BTW is the all time WR for all of Socket 754 regardless of board or CPU used.

Still have alot of the stuff from back then so it's not like I've forgotten about it, I still mess around with it to this day because to me it's fun see what I can get from it.

On older Intel stuff I'm not as knowledgeable simply because I never messed with it but for older AMD I'm well versed.

If such is created I'll be in there somewhere - That I can promise you.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

6 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Do you think about old machines like the Amiga, C64, Amstrad cpc, Atari ST, Vic 20, ZX Spectrum and similar?

because in that case i definitely agree that we need a subforum.

then again maybe we shouldn't be on this website (for this kind of tech) to begin with.

As i would consider LTT to be LHTT

Linus High Tech Tips

well i would include recently outmoded pcs too like windows xp/7 machines.

I feel as though there's  a VERY large untapped wealth of computers and people that have 7-15 year old machines that want to find a use for them and rather than saying "they're too slow for windows 10" we could very easily say return it to the original os and install period correct software and it can do anything from it's time period very well.

1 hour ago, emosun said:

well i would include recently outmoded pcs too like windows xp/7 machines.

I feel as though there's  a VERY large untapped wealth of computers and people that have 7-15 year old machines that want to find a use for them and rather than saying "they're too slow for windows 10" we could very easily say return it to the original os and install period correct software and it can do anything from it's time period very well.

i don't see the point for those.

after all, just get a VM and run your program in the old OS.

but those other computers i've mentioned are more of a novelty at this point, and they have a history.

i bet you someone will remember they had a ZX81 more than they remember having an HP desktop from 12 years ago

Some like dealing directly with the older pieces instead of doing it in a VR enviroment and for many it's not about the OS, it's about the hardware itself (For me it is).
Another thing is if you're going retro-game, then do it right with retro pieces.

One point if it were to be created is simply a source of info or reference to get info about what these are like such as "What is the correct/stock voltage of a Barton core" or "How much voltage does my NF2 chipset need to operate properly".... Those kind of questions.

If you don't know, you don't know and that's largely what it would be about - Getting answers to those questions so one CAN enjoy these pieces if they have them.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I don't think there's enough content for a dedicated section, but I've definitely seen topics about repurposing old hardware generating reasonable discussions when posted in General Discussion.

HTTP/2 203