Epic Games Store banned entire ProtonMail e-mail domain

So you're saying that if I get a proton mail account, I CAN'T even involve myself with Epic?

Now that's EPIC!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

How? You can create dummy accounts in any non-corporate domain.

Yes, but you're accountable for those.

Aside from literal burner-mail providers.

Are those allowed? They probably shouldn't be.

I've met websites that won't allow any non-institutional email (like a university or a company), and therefore reject all gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc. But any of the latter would be the same in terms of dummy accounts.

Google has reasonably effective bot checks. I don't know about Proton specifically but it may be more bot friendly - regardless unlike Google it's not even going to try to identify you if there's a legal request, or at least that's what they claim.

Isn't that a reason to not use it?

No, because DRM doesn't give you a choice. If a game has Steam DRM then you must use Steam to play it. If it has EGS DRM then you must the use EGS. And if DRM is a reason not to buy any of these games (which is a position I can respect) then the same should apply to Steam, Origin and almost anything else that isn't GoG, but I don't see a lot of people whining incessantly about those.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

Google has reasonably effective bot checks. I don't know about Proton specifically but it may be more bot friendly - regardless unlike Google it's not even going to try to identify you if there's a legal request, or at least that's what they claim.

No, because DRM doesn't give you a choice. If a game has Steam DRM then you must use Steam to play it. If it has EGS DRM then you must the use EGS. And if DRM is a reason not to buy any of these games (which is a position I can respect) then the same should apply to Steam, Origin and almost anything else that isn't GoG, but I don't see a lot of people whining incessantly about those.

I don't mind DRM as long as I can play the game offline. EGS doesn't allow that nor does Uplay (at least since I used it years ago). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't mind DRM as long as I can play the game offline. EGS doesn't allow that nor does Uplay (at least since I used it years ago). 

With DRM you're not in control either way...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They probably analyzed how many legit accounts use proton and how many spam/bit/whatever accounts use proton(hint: a lot) and made the decision.

Another forum I'm a part of probably half of the spam comes from proton accounts

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I strongly suspect that Epic isn’t concerned that ProtonMail is insecure, they’re concerned with Epic’s own internal security. Likely what they’re actually saying is that a huge number of spammers have been registering Epic accounts using PM. This would also explain why they aren’t concerned with existing, valid users with a PM address.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

1 hour ago, melete said:

I strongly suspect that Epic isn’t concerned that ProtonMail is insecure, they’re concerned with Epic’s own internal security. Likely what they’re actually saying is that a huge number of spammers have been registering Epic accounts using PM. This would also explain why they aren’t concerned with existing, valid users with a PM address.

Epic is also saying "we're utterly incompetent and can't deal with any of our internal problems correctly, so we're just banning entire service domain coz that's just easier". Given how clumsy and incompetent they are with everything related to EGS, I bet GMail or Outlook is giving them EXACTLY the same problems, they just can't afford to ban entire gmail.com or outlook.com domains. Because that would piss everyone off. But Protonmail is an acceptable casualty for them because it's not as big. It's not acceptable no matter the user base or size of the provider. Such blanket banning of e-mail services is garbage behavior and needs to be criticized.

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

I can't see how you are more accountable or less accountable depending on where you get your dummy account: you are linked to an account by metadata, not content, so encrypted content doesn't change accountability...

Then again, what is there to be accountable for in a store?

I wouldn't know. I don't see why they shouldn't: whether the store can use that address to spam you or not doesn't enable any kind of fraud I can think of, that's all about payment methods.

Google has reasonably effective bot checks. I don't know about Proton specifically but it may be more bot friendly

I don't know about that either. But we were discussing dummy accounts, and you can have dummy Google accounts. It's true that they changed the requirements to create an account (basically none) since I created my first gmail, but last time I checked all you needed was another email - which could be anywhere, including ProtonMail.

No, because DRM doesn't give you a choice.

Of course you have a choice, DRM is just one factor you consider when making that choice.

If a game has Steam DRM then you must use Steam to play it. If it has EGS DRM then you must the use EGS.

Not strictly true for a lot of cases, but regardless, that doesn't take away the choice from you. You can still choose where to buy your games when available in multiple platforms, and whether to pay for a game at all when all choices include DRM.

Many games are console exclusives; I don't even know the name for most of them as I'm not paying attention to what's released to platforms I don't use nor plan to use. Similarly, I wouldn't know which games are available in the Epic game store, much less which ones are exclusive to it.

And if DRM is a reason not to buy any of these games (which is a position I can respect) then the same should apply to Steam, Origin and almost anything else that isn't GoG

Of course, and it does.

but I don't see a lot of people whining incessantly about those.

I don't know this guy "A Lot Of People" but I'll let him answer that, I just speak for myself ;) 

42 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I can't see how you are more accountable or less accountable depending on where you get your dummy account: you are linked to an account by metadata, not content, so encrypted content doesn't change accountability...

It all depends on what metadata is stored about you, doesn't it?

42 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Then again, what is there to be accountable for in a store?

Cheating, botting, harassment, fraud... you name it.

44 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Of course you have a choice, DRM is just one factor you consider when making that choice.

No, in a lot of cases you either accept DRM or you play another game. Legally speaking at least.

45 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Not strictly true for a lot of cases, but regardless, that doesn't take away the choice from you. You can still choose where to buy your games when available in multiple platforms, and whether to pay for a game at all when all choices include DRM.

Too bad a lot of games aren't available on multiple platforms and if all the platforms a game is on have DRM then it's a pick your poison scenario. And again, not playing the game isn't really much of a choice.

47 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Many games are console exclusives

Which also have DRM.

48 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't know this guy "A Lot Of People" but I'll let him answer that, I just speak for myself ;) 

I mean... surely I don't need to prove to you that the EGS has been at the core of a lot more drama on this issue than Steam ever has...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

It's touch and go if Uplay will even let you play online wiht some games...      🙄

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think if there is such a cheating problem, maybe Epic should do something about it instead of just banning emails. Even more reason to get a Protonmail account and refuse to use EGS, I dislike exclusives and don't care about the "free" games anyway.

3 hours ago, melete said:

Likely what they’re actually saying is that a huge number of spammers have been registering Epic accounts using PM.

Use a captcha instead of showing the middle finger to your users..... (<- but tis would require brain and logic which they are lacking)

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Cheating, botting, harassment, fraud... you name it.

I still don't see how an email account to register makes any of those easier or harder.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

No, in a lot of cases you either accept DRM or you play another game.

You've just written a choice right there.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Too bad a lot of games aren't available on multiple platforms and if all the platforms a game is on have DRM then it's a pick your poison scenario. And again, not playing the game isn't really much of a choice.

I'm pretty sure that playing a game or not is very much always a choice. Unless you live in the Hunger Games or something.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Which also have DRM.

Consoles have DRM. And that's relevant for this conversation because...?

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I mean... surely I don't need to prove to you that the EGS has been at the core of a lot more drama on this issue than Steam ever has...

You say that like that's something that concerns me or has any bearing in what I am saying.

But given that you mentioned before that we should be coherent: since Steam is to me the root of all evil and it can't crash and burn soon enough, then following your advice I have no choice but to also stay away from EGS (and all the others you mentioned) if I am to be coherent. Which I very much do.

Your resentment towards other forum members due to their fairness or lack thereof is not something I'm going to waste my time discussing, as it doesn't either validate or invalidate anything I said.

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You say that like that's something that concerns me or has any bearing in what I am saying.

It has something to do with what I was saying though.

10 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You've just written a choice right there.

Right, in the same way that eating trash or starving is a fair choice.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

booo

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Right, in the same way that eating trash or starving is a fair choice.

Of course, not using entertainment software with bad practices = starving or eating trash. 

You must have put your full intellect into that one. 

23 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's touch and go if Uplay will even let you play online wiht some games...      🙄

I stopped playing and buying Ubisoft games the moment they introduced their stupid Always-Connected DRM garbage. I literally haven't played a single Ubisoft game for at least a decade (before UPlay they had per game always-on DRM thing iirc). Only things I tried were their old pre-UPlay games that I got on GOG. And funniest part of all, I don't really miss them at all. I don't like open world nonsense everyone is tossing out like mad and 90% of Ubisoft products are same rehashed design of open world. As far as I could see from videos that is. They all feel the same. They can have them, I'm at no loss here.

33 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I stopped playing and buying Ubisoft games the moment they introduced their stupid Always-Connected DRM garbage. I literally haven't played a single Ubisoft game for at least a decade (before UPlay they had per game always-on DRM thing iirc). Only things I tried were their old pre-UPlay games that I got on GOG. And funniest part of all, I don't really miss them at all. I don't like open world nonsense everyone is tossing out like mad and 90% of Ubisoft products are same rehashed design of open world. As far as I could see from videos that is. They all feel the same. They can have them, I'm at no loss here.

I personally don't care about DRM,  Games that just don't function (like save games and online multiplayer games that balk halfway through) are much more of a problem than DRM ever has been for me.   That's why I haven't bought an ubi game in almost a decade. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

I personally don't care about DRM,  Games that just don't function (like save games and online multiplayer games that balk halfway through) are much more of a problem than DRM ever has been for me.   That's why I haven't bought an ubi game in almost a decade. 

Well, one of reasons was because of DRM. Forcibly having to be online for a single player and getting thrown from the game if connection is shit (which always is with Ubisoft) and the experience is ruined by the DRM.

25 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Forcibly having to be online for a single player

this is my most hated trend of games these days

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I installed Epic for the free games, but I see now that the reason they can afford to give away such games is because of Tencent. I thought it may not matter if I don't spend any money, but then I become complicit with these kinds of business practices. Nah man, gotta delete that. I suppose I should switch to GOG to support European developers.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, Arika S said:

this is my most hated trend of games these days

This and the heavy push toward subscription models. Although I'm sure selling us a small box to play games on the cloud so we never own digital media again is their ultimate goal

On 6/16/2020 at 9:21 AM, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Why are people still using epic store i can't fathom. 

Didn't know humblebundle forced to make me use epic when rock* launcher was having issues purchasing RDR2 but whatever only game I have on epic