Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

Is it true that if you don't use all the charge on a phone before recharging it, it will degrade the battery?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I remember hearing something awhile back where someone told me that if you keep charging your phone at mid-way (like 50-60% left) rather than using the remaining charge, if you keep doing it, it apparently will degrade the phone battery significantly over time.

Can anyone confirm or deny? 

CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING ICX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

for phones with Lithium batteries you want to keep them between 30-80%

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This depends on battery type. 

With lithium batteries found in most phones, they don't like being close to full or empty, so Its best not to let them get to 0%. The full discharge was most applicable to nicad batteries.

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

for phones with Lithium batteries you want to keep them between 30-80%

Oh wow, so overcharging it to 100% can technically degrade it too?

5 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I remember hearing something awhile back where someone told me that if you keep charging your phone at mid-way (like 50-60% left) rather than using the remaining charge, if you keep doing it, it apparently will degrade the phone battery significantly over time.

Can anyone confirm or deny? 

This was true with old NiMH batteries. These days it's fine

Just now, TheBritishVillain said:

No, it won't. Lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are fine even if you charge it to 100%> think about it, if the batteries degraded, why would phone OEMs allow you to even charge the device to 100% ? That way thwyd lose money on replacement batteries under warranty

Just now, TheBritishVillain said:

yeah you really don't want it to get to 100% and especially staying there. that is why apple rolled out the hold at 80% till last min then fill up

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Yes it is true. Its basic Battery knowledge with Lithium, You do not want to Top them off constantly or really at all.You can charge when the battery gets to around 5-15% and be fine, but if you charge it when its at 70-80% to full it does not like that and will degrade the battery faster

Just now, 5x5 said:

No, it won't. Lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are fine even if you charge it to 100%> think about it, if the batteries degraded, why would phone OEMs allow you to even charge the device to 100% ? That way thwyd lose money on replacement batteries under warranty

Technically speaking, most batteries are never fully charged to 100% as there is always headroom. This is by design.

Just now, 5x5 said:

Well I don't mean fully destroy it, I mean just degrading it gradually.

8 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

they do already cut some of the battery capacity off at each end.

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yes it is true. Its basic Battery knowledge with Lithium, You do not want to Top them off constantly or really at all.You can charge when the battery gets to around 5-15% and be fine, but if you charge it when its at 70-80% to full it does not like that and will degrade the battery faster

This is false, very very false. I've been doing that for years in all electronics I own, I have NEVER degraded a battery by doing that

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

they do already cut some of the battery capacity off at each end. \

That video is very outdated and has a lot of misinformation. I honestly ywish Linus would remake it since it's causing more harm than good in modern days

Just now, 5x5 said:

This is false, very very false. I've been doing that for years in all electronics I own, I have NEVER degraded a battery by doing that

That video is very outdated and has a lot of misinformation. I honestly ywish Linus would remake it since it's causing more harm than good in modern days

I certainly have killed my iPhone batteries faster that way.

well then push that to the techquicky team

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I certainly have killed my iPhone batteries faster that way.

well then push that to the techquicky team

iPhones are special, though, they use aggressively small batteries with aggressively low durability and try to compensate via software 

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

You are wrong here. I have personally seen Batteries degraded when doing this even brand new ones recently. For instance my Handheld Vacuum battery Has already degraded within 1 year of use as it tends to be left on to charge from short uses. It use to last around 30 minutes on a full charge and about 3 minutes on its Power boost mode. Now it lasts around 25 minutes on a full charge and not even 30 seconds on power boost before it says Battery issue. 

Brand new Tool Batteries are Notorious for this, so saying this again is just plain wrong.

Brothers Note 9 Has Degraded in just the 8 months he has had it because he loves to constantly have it on his Wireless Charger. It has a Worse battery then my note 9 in terms of 100% to 0% , and ive had mine about a year longer and taken very good care of it to not charge it before it hits 20% battery.

Batteries that are not properly cooled and such, Like those in phones tend to not last more then 2 years at 85% of their original capacity Even with the best care. It can happen and you can also just get a bad battery.

Even Tesla Batteries Degrade over time, even with their Cooling solution it Still happens.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You are wrong here. I have personally seen Batteries degraded when doing this even brand new ones recently. For instance my Handheld Vacuum battery Has already degraded within 1 year of use as it tends to be left on to charge from short uses. It use to last around 30 minutes on a full charge and about 3 minutes on its Power boost mode. Now it lasts around 25 minutes on a full charge and not even 30 seconds on power boost before it says Battery issue. 

Brand new Tool Batteries are Notorious for this, so saying this again is just plain wrong.

Brothers Note 9 Has Degraded in just the 8 months he has had it because he loves to constantly have it on his Wireless Charger. It has a Worse battery then my note 9 in terms of 100% to 0% , and ive had mine about a year longer and taken very good care of it to not charge it before it hits 20% battery.

Batteries that are not properly cooled and such, Like those in phones tend to not last more then 2 years at 85% of their original capacity Even with the best care. It can happen and you can also just get a bad battery.

Even Tesla Batteries Degrade over time, even with their Cooling solution it Still happens.

There's a big difference between degrading due to active use (cycling) and due to charging. In all of the above, the reason is that you are actively cycling the battery NOT the fact that you are charging it

Just now, 5x5 said:

There's a big difference between degrading due to active use (cycling) and due to charging. In all of the above, the reason is that you are actively cycling the battery NOT the fact that you are charging it

Read up a fair bit on charging habits even with Teslas and such :) Youll be enlightened on just how much they really dont recommend you charge your car if its got a decent charge % still. Especially with supercharging and such. The faster you charge, the more heat is generated thus degrading can and will occur more for our batteries. Its why im amazed at just how far one plus is willing to go with their Fast charger speeds. It would be a fun experiment to see two phones tested, one using normal chargers and one using the Super charge to see just how much it degrades.

18 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

10 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Be very choice with the words here. Li-ion batteries do degrade through regular cycles, and I find modern phones are only really good for 300-600 cycles or so. You've got some magic batteries if you've never seen any degradation.

Here's what kills Li-ion batteries: Heat, Voltage (Either too high or too low). At really low charge levels, the harm comes in connecting the charger, where you suddenly have a much higher charge voltage than cell voltage. Too low of cell voltage can soft-brick these cells and prevent charging, for safety.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

1 hour ago, svmlegacy said:

Be very choice with the words here. Li-ion batteries do degrade through regular cycles, and I find modern phones are only really good for 300-600 cycles or so. You've got some magic batteries if you've never seen any degradation.

Here's what kills Li-ion batteries: Heat, Voltage (Either too high or too low). At really low charge levels, the harm comes in connecting the charger, where you suddenly have a much higher charge voltage than cell voltage. Too low of cell voltage can soft-brick these cells and prevent charging, for safety.

Read my point carefully. It's not charging the battery at high percentage that degrades it, it's actively using it and running it through cycles. I have degraded batteries by using them but never by charging them to 100%>\. That's simply not what happens and people are still propagating myths about keeping batteries at 60% capacity thinking that's somehow changing anything. Ita not. If charging to 100% were really an issue, the number of RMAs on batteries by regular Joe's would cripple half of the service centres and providers due to sheer volume of RMA returns.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Read up a fair bit on charging habits even with Teslas and such :) Youll be enlightened on just how much they really dont recommend you charge your car if its got a decent charge % still. Especially with supercharging and such. The faster you charge, the more heat is generated thus degrading can and will occur more for our batteries. Its why im amazed at just how far one plus is willing to go with their Fast charger speeds. It would be a fun experiment to see two phones tested, one using normal chargers and one using the Super charge to see just how much it degrades.

Again, that's an entirely different topic. Wireless charging also reduces battery health. But it's not remotely connected to capacity when charging.

As it stands, charging to 100% when the battery is at 70-80% is perfectly safe and will NOT impact battery health

On 6/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, TheBritishVillain said:

It will degrade it more yes, although I recommend just using it how you want it, either way the battery will be fine for 2-3 years. Plus they can be replaced.

On 6/15/2020 at 7:26 PM, 5x5 said:

There a possibility this could vary per manufacture? Could one manufacturer simply call 4.2V a full charge, while another allows the battery to reach 4.25v-4.3v before stopping?

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

There a possibility this could vary per manufacture? Could one manufacturer simply call 4.2V a full charge, while another allows the battery to reach 4.25v-4.3v before stopping?

voltage doesn't correlate to charge levels. They are measured in miliamp hours