MMORPG Recomendations?

Video Beagle

I and a couple of friends from around the country (currently 4 in total) regularly play a MMORPG on sunday for a few hours and chat...been doing it for years.

We started with City Of Heroes, and then when that died, we've gone on to others.. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars: TOR, Secret World (til that games revamp made it somewhat unplayable).  We've been playing Elder Scrolls Online for a while now, but are looking for a change. (We've largely hit end game grind time on each of those).

We're currently trying Star Trek Online, but having completed the tutorial/intro in TOS....well, it's not made a good impression on most of the group.

Can anyone recommend some MMORPGS we might try?

Additional info:

Older group...I'm the youngest at 48...all very tech savy, but pure twitch gaming, not the thing.

We're not into PvP...if it's an optional thing you can do, ok, but we like PvE story campgains. Either PvP on seperate servers, areas, or flags would be best.

We're looking for less fantasy games, having done ESO for quite some time, but good fantasy ones for the list would be good :)

Free to play with subscription options are preferred,  Or a base buy in, but no need for ongoing subscriptions. (but if something is great otherwise, please mention it..can always take a look).

Windows games..no platforms.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Since its 4 of you, Final Fantasy 14 would be a perfect match. Party sizes for dungeons and such is 4 people so its a perfect match!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

PSO2 recently got a North America launch (other regions can join by changing Windows region to access store). It is free to play, with optional paid premium. So worth a look. I'm not very experienced in it, and I don't think it is a long term game for me as the PvE instances are getting very samey very fast. Also the UI feels very controller optimised and dated. I have no idea if there is any PvP at all.

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV) is still one of my main PC gaming timesinks. You do need to buy the game, and it requires a monthly sub. There is a trial mode which lets you play as much as you like up to some level, so you can try before you buy. I would describe the style is hybrid fantasy. It isn't traditional fantasy, and mixes sci-fi themes also. If you're familiar with Final Fantasy series in general, it borrows a lot from various parts. The main game puts your character as the hero, and there is a story to work through. Majority of gameplay is PvE in some form. PvP is something you can do if you want, but can be totally ignored if you're not interested. The basic party unit is 4 members as @Skiiwee29 mentioned, although is is in the composition of two DPS, 1 healer, 1 tank. So you'll have to decide who does what. You are free to swap roles/classes as much as you like with one character, so you're not tied into this, although you still have to level them separately.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

There is this one game you probably haven't heard of. Think it's made by a small indie dev. World of Warcraft. Good game, would recommend.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

27 minutes ago, Rupe said:

There is this one game you probably haven't heard of. Think it's made by a small indie dev. World of Warcraft. Good game, would recommend.

Like I said, we're looking for less fantasy..sci-fi, modern, (man, i'd love a good cowboy game)...but thanks. 

What's WoW's current cost format?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

13 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Like I said, we're looking for less fantasy..sci-fi, modern, (man, i'd love a good cowboy game)...but thanks. 

What's WoW's current cost format?

It's still monthly £10 in the UK includes classic and retail with one sub. You get all the expansions excluding the newest one just with a sub. Currently double XP until the pre-patch of the next expansion comes out so leveling is FAST, and the zones levels scale with you now so you don't just quickly outlevel each zone you're in. 

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Try Guild Wars 2, core game is free but i highly recommend to get Path Of Fire expansion (you will get Heart Of Thorn expansion as well) because you will be able to get mounts.

Comparison between free and paid accounts. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Guild-Wars-2-Account-Types-Free-Core-HoT-PoF

It is fantasy base though, the story in the beginning is kinda boring to me but it picks up after you completed Personal Story line. 

PvP and WvW is on totally separate server/world.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Try Guild Wars 2, core game is free but i highly recommend to get Path Of Fire expansion (you will get Heart Of Thorn expansion as well) because you will be able to get mounts.

I played free in 2016 or so, had fun, loved the platforming and exploration, but got tired of it eventually. Are there good reasons to go back?

On 6/15/2020 at 7:18 AM, xAcid9 said:

Apparanly two of my friends are holding grudges against the company because of CoH, so guild wars is out..thanks for the suggestion.

I would have to add another for final fantasy 14 even though it's a pay to obtain along with subscription (which is cheaper then WoW if you choose the 180 day option), however, if you don't want to risk it they do offer a free trial (level capped to 35 along with restrictions relating to how much in game money you can have and the inability to join free companies among other restrictions both in game and on their community sites) so you can go through the early MSQs to get a feel for it and see if it's worth paying for the whole game along with the subscription (the complete version is the best option to get as it includes all the content along with 30 days of play as the only other option is the starter pack which only gets you the realm reborn content (which is what you get in the free trial) along with 30 days play and you'd then have to get the remaining expansions which is going to cost a lot more then the complete version).

Following this thread because got same problem as OP.

I've logged into EVE online yesterday, and boy, I want to like that game but it's against casual play, and it shows. Free state, where you get like 7-12% of the game content is enough to pwn some space pirates or probe anomalies, and mine-recycle some resources. With friends, it's really fun tittle.
Mentioned PSO2 may be good option, especially for 4 players. Played a lot PSO on DC and PSOBB on PC, grind but with cool areas and good for leisure/casual/talk at the times.
Black desert Online is a lot like Monster Hunter with hellish end game as people say, and there's free trial too for BDO.

Not MMORPG per se but... maybe Factorio? Stranded on a alien planet, player need to reinvent technolgies, to fly back home. You'd need to set a server or rent one to host game (those are cheap usualy). There is free demo and there are plenty fo great community mods changing base game as well.

Pso2 is decent reminds me of xenoblade x with the combat. Or elder scrolls online.

(\/) (°,,,,°) (\/)

On 6/15/2020 at 11:34 PM, Aereldor said:

I played free in 2016 or so, had fun, loved the platforming and exploration, but got tired of it eventually. Are there good reasons to go back?

Probably mounts if you don't care about the story, but you need Path Of Fire expansion for that.

You will get access to Path Of Fire and Heart Of Thorn map as well.

If you have some golds to convert to gems, you can unlock Living World season 3, 4 and 5 for new maps and moar achievements. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Tibia

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Less fantasy... That's hard since that's more or less all games unless it's a sim game or a shooter. 

I agree about ff14 though, it's a long, social game. 

If you don't mind digging up a private server, Warhammer: age of reckoning was fun, untill the game shut down... So not much choice then a private server. But again, very fantasy. 

Since you guys are savy oldies why not space engineers? Not an rpg or really mmo but it's a creative game with alot of fun, or Factorio as mentioned before. Hella fun. 

I want to suggest monster hunter world but... It's not exactly a "relaxing game" unless you are like me who finds something like that and Dark souls relaxing, fun as hell though. 

... I guess Destiny 2 is an option if you don't mind a shooter. But there isn't much to do that isnt just same old same old random events after a week. 

Edit: if you don't mind "childish" games then TemTem could be fun, it's like Pokémon. 

How do you guys feel about Action RPGs? They are pretty straight forward, kill kill kill, loot loot loot so Idunno if simple gameplay liket that might get boring for ya. 

On 6/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, CatCloud said:

How do you guys feel about Action RPGs? They are pretty straight forward, kill kill kill, loot loot loot so Idunno if simple gameplay liket that might get boring for ya. 

Depends on what kind of game you mean...can you give a title I can google?

You could give Aion a try.  Its still a fantasy setting, but its free to play and well established.  Also meets your criteria of PVP being in separate areas (for the most part).

20 hours ago, Koeshi said:

You could give Aion a try.  Its still a fantasy setting, but its free to play and well established.  Also meets your criteria of PVP being in separate areas (for the most part).

Ah, another NCSoft...Thanks.. I'll check it out for myself, but some of my friends are hodling a grudge against them for shutting down CoH...sigh.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:26 AM, Video Beagle said:

Depends on what kind of game you mean...can you give a title I can google?

Well there is the Diablo series by Blizzard and that sort of top down game, like Torchlight 2 and Titan Quest
Ooooor, for something more, Grim dark... there is Grim Dawn, the multiplayer is a bit finicky with some routers. Otherwise Warhammer 40k Martyr. Sadly you dont play as a Space marine or Ork.
Some would say Path of Exile but i wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience with Diablo like RPG games before, played PnP Rpg or you want PTSD, also has a somewhat weak story.

More towards the "normal" MMORPG direction... there are few i can remember, but they are your typical half naked bikini armor Korean nonsense games with a cheesy story. There combat is fun though: there is TERA and Blade and soul...i guess i could mention Black desert online BUT it has open world PvP after level...45? but it has alot of cool little features few other games have like farming, player driven market, deep crafting and trading stuff (caravan and such). 

Vindictus is one, its old so im not sure how it is these days but i played the shit out of it, its not Open world though. 

There is also Archage...but last i remember there was Pay to Win cash shop nonsense, they made a no cash shop version called Archage Unchained but people dont seem to like it..not sure why. some similar features to Black Desert online but its not as deep, still something. Housing and more advance/bigger farming is locked behind a Subscription sadly and the two big selling points is you can cruise around on ships, and glide around on a "kite"... Also has some PvP elements, similar to World of Warcraft with the multi faction thing going on. Two sides are at war, and also there is the Criminal Faction you can join, very PvP focused.

There is also Shroud of the Avatar, this one im not sure if i would call it Action MMORPG or just the usually but it has its charm, no classes either but it dosnt hurt to specialize because it takes time to get stronger.

Non of theses game are Subscription depended but some unlock benefits that might be worth looking at if you plan on sticking around for awhile.

Thanks for the suggteswtions so far.. flipping thru steam, I saw Destiny 2., which looks a bit sci-fi...how is it storywise/quest? or is more jsut action action action?

-----------------

I chatted with my more grumbly friends on what they like as I continue to shop around...they gave me this

What we like in games
- missions/quests that properly handle team play
- meaningful missions/quests that advance a story arc or enrich the narative and context
- high quality, detailed scenery and graphics that add to the sense of realism
- good voice actors
- combat where strategy, skill, and teamwork matter
- music
- well-plotted story arcs
- plots where player decisions affect play
- good maps
- use of stereo sound for positioning object, targets, etc (adds to sense of realism)
- open world

What we don't like in games
- repetative, button-mashing combat
- combat for the sake of combat
- orientation around points/advancement rather than plot
- group-completion on missions that were clearly designed for solo play
- poor handling of teams
- poor maps and mini maps

I'd say the story/quest aspect (and designed for group play..or at least decently supporting them) would be the top things.

3 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

I chatted with my more grumbly friends on what they like as I continue to shop around...they gave me this

That really looks like you want just an RPG that has multiplayer, rather than an MMORPG.

Maybe you'll like fallout 76? They've introduced a new patch that adds a bunch of NPCs that changes the game quite a bit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

On 6/25/2020 at 7:23 AM, Koeshi said:

That really looks like you want just an RPG that has multiplayer, rather than an MMORPG.

Well, guess it depends on your definitions.... As I said in the OP, we've gone thru City of Heroes, Secret World, LotR:O, ESO, Star Wars: Old Republic...all I'd define as Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, so MMORPGs...