Anyone have Lunar White Alienware?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, mrdoubtfull said:

Gimmick or not, it'll help when it comes time to resell it. And still got it cheaper than any other 2080 super max p laptop you can get. 

I don't mind going to 144hz ONLY if the lunar light option isn't a good idea. The dark side of moon only comes in 144hz at the moment. 

If I use it indoors with clean hands, will it be an issue or I'm not understanding what you're saying? 

Over time it will wear out. If people already have these issues (some pretty badly others mildly) I'd say somethings up with the quality and it's not as much as an if but as a when.

Also even if the system is inside if the sun shines on it through a window it will yellow. Even in a completely dark room it will eventually start to very lightly.

I just bought the M17 R3 in Lunar White because it's the only option available for the 300hz display but now I'm wondering if I'll have problems with discoloration? 

I thought the color would be ok until I saw a few posts on reddit showing that it can turn yellow or discolor and I really don't want that happening and if it's a common problem I guess I'll change it to Dark Side of Moon.. 

Anyone have experience with it? Should I just keep it? I don't have oily skin and I always wash my hands before using my computers.. 

18 minutes ago, mrdoubtfull said:

I just bought the M17 R3 in Lunar White because it's the only option available for the 300hz display but now I'm wondering if I'll have problems with discoloration? 

I thought the color would be ok until I saw a few posts on reddit showing that it can turn yellow or discolor and I really don't want that happening and if it's a common problem I guess I'll change it to Dark Side of Moon.. 

Anyone have experience with it? Should I just keep it? I don't have oily skin and I always wash my hands before using my computers.. 

It's mainly discoloration from the sun and not having the cleanest of hands. Which honestly are 2 very dumb problems solved ages ago. Might wanna return it. That and like the 300hz is a gimmick there's no AAA game you can get that in without lowering everything to low and being at 1080 if the cpu can even keep up then. Sure a lot of esport titles will but not all. So don't be afraid to just get a lower end screen if you do swap it out.

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's mainly discoloration from the sun and not having the cleanest of hands. Which honestly are 2 very dumb problems solved ages ago. Might wanna return it. That and like the 300hz is a gimmick there's no AAA game you can get that in without lowering everything to low and being at 1080 if the cpu can even keep up then. Sure a lot of esport titles will but not all. So don't be afraid to just get a lower end screen if you do swap it out.

Gimmick or not, it'll help when it comes time to resell it. And still got it cheaper than any other 2080 super max p laptop you can get. 

I don't mind going to 144hz ONLY if the lunar light option isn't a good idea. The dark side of moon only comes in 144hz at the moment and response time goes from 3ms to 9ms (which is probably worse than advertised).

If I use it indoors with clean hands, will it be an issue or I'm not understanding what you're saying? 

1 minute ago, mrdoubtfull said:

I don't mind going to 144hz ONLY if the lunar light option isn't a good idea. The dark side of moon only comes in 144hz at the moment. 

Over time it will wear out. If people already have these issues (some pretty badly others mildly) I'd say somethings up with the quality and it's not as much as an if but as a when.

Also even if the system is inside if the sun shines on it through a window it will yellow. Even in a completely dark room it will eventually start to very lightly.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Thanks! I'll call when they're open tomorrow and see if they can change it. I guess now the question is should I get the 144hz option with gsync and if so can I turn it off to save battery when/if I need to? It's usually plugged in wherever I take it so not a huge concern.. 

Thanks for the help! 

Just now, mrdoubtfull said:

Thanks! I'll call when they're open tomorrow and see if they can change it. I guess now the question is should I get the 144hz option with gsync and if so can I turn it off to save battery when/if I need to? It's usually plugged in wherever I take it so not a huge concern.. 

Thanks for the help! 

Normally if nvidia optimus is set up correctly the screen should switch to 60hz on battery. Like your 300hz screen does. Gsync does not really consume more battery and is also turned of on battery.

53 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Normally if nvidia optimus is set up correctly the screen should switch to 60hz on battery. Like your 300hz screen does. Gsync does not really consume more battery and is also turned of on battery.

So get gsync? No reason not to, right? Not sure why they have an option against it if it doesn't consume more battery.. 

4 hours ago, mrdoubtfull said:

So get gsync? No reason not to, right? Not sure why they have an option against it if it doesn't consume more battery.. 

It does consume more battery if it's on but not much. However as I said earlier it is supposed to be turned off on battery as a battery saving feature. Then again this laptop isn't made to last forever on a battery :p.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:06 AM, mrdoubtfull said:

I don't mind going to 144hz ONLY if the lunar light option isn't a good idea. The dark side of moon only comes in 144hz at the moment and response time goes from 3ms to 9ms (which is probably worse than advertised).

Gaming laptops really don't age well and hold little resale value after a year. I'd just forget about all that and just go with what you'll enjoy the most.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20