HDD makes this noise on start-up

curiousgamer121
Go to solution Solved by StDragon,

It's failing hard. Eventually (hours or days) it will finally quit. So long as you're able to backup all of the data from it, your next course of action is to either replace it with a new one or attempt an RMA if it's still under warranty.

I have been running a full backup (appropriately timed) of my WD Black 2TB for the past week, and last night I thought, man this thing has been running for almost a week. Let me turn my PC off for the night. So I did. Just now I started it the PC up and started making this noise on boot so I panicked, turned the PC back off, turned it back on and it made the same noise for like 2 minutes and then it stopped. Ofcourse, I immediately resumed my backup. Now, according to the video I linked, this noise is made when the motor is stuck, but why is the noise only there for a couple minutes? Does the motor get unstuck?

It's failing hard. Eventually (hours or days) it will finally quit. So long as you're able to backup all of the data from it, your next course of action is to either replace it with a new one or attempt an RMA if it's still under warranty.

That drive is on its last legs for sure.  Make sure that you get your backup finished as soon as you can and then replace the drive.  You want to make sure that you replace the drive before it crashes for good because when it does, it's going to crash hard.