ZEUS (Fractal R4 | Blue/Black | Internal UT60 Rad) - by alpenwasser [COMPLETE]

What is the difference between a single 360mm rad vs one 120mm & one 240mm?

Quote me to get a reply!

This is simply amazing mate, keep it up!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

What is the difference between a single 360mm rad vs one 120mm & one 240mm?

Haven't done any experiments personally, but assuming radiators of identical

construction (same model, different versions) I would estimate there to be a

very minute difference. 120 + 240 will have slightly higher flow resistance,

but performance-wise I would estimate the two configs to be very close

to each other (that is an estimate, and not an experimental result, though).

Biggest difference: Cost.

Bottom line: If I have the space for a 360 I will go for that, it's a lot

cheaper than 120 + 240, has less flow resistance and performs about the same.

This is simply amazing mate, keep it up!

Thanks! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Haven't done any experiments personally, but assuming radiators of identical

construction (same model, different versions) I would estimate there to be a

very minute difference. 120 + 240 will have slightly higher flow resistance,

but performance-wise I would estimate the two configs to be very close

to each other (that is an estimate, and not an experimental result, though).

Biggest difference: Cost.

Bottom line: If I have the space for a 360 I will go for that, it's a lot

cheaper than 120 + 240, has less flow resistance and performs about the same.

And less tubing makes it look better IMO :).

And less tubing makes it look better IMO :).

Yes indeed, also a very valid point.

Anyway:

Back Panel - Progress

I've been working on the back panel. Fitting is done, what's left is more or less half the painting

and some finishing touches.

Paint

Since I don't want to repaint the entire panel, I'm using this to paint each hole individually.

Yes, it's a rather slow process. :lol:

(click image for full res)

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--06--humbrol.jpeg

Back Panel - Inner Side

This side has not been painted yet. I thought this would provide some good contrast to see

the difference.

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--07--back-panel-ins

Back Panel - Outer Side

The screw holes won't be painted, since they won't be visible (also, they are threaded).

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--08--back-panel-out

Back Panel - Test Fit

It fits nice and snug, and it's all solid and good.

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--08--back-panel-tes

Back Panel - M/B Test Fit

The M/B fits nicely to the new back panel. The I/O shield lines up perfectly.

You can also see the screws used to mount the panel. As you can see, there's no nuts involved, the threads

are directly in the back panel. It's thick enough for this to work nicely, as long as you're not too brutal there's

no danger of ripping the threads out of the aluminium.

aw--zeus--2013-05-29--09--back-panel-tes

Todo

Next I'll be painting the panel's inner side, cutting the screws down to size and putting the hole thing together

permanently.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Nice work man. I like those cables.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Nice work man. I like those cables.

They're not perfect, but those parts which will be visible are as close as I can

get (without an unreasonable amount of additional work). One thing I might still

change are the large bulks of lacing cord on the 24 pin and on the 3 cables coming

out of the back. The one on the back is definitely not clean enough yet and will

be redone, and I might reduce the 24 pin lacing a bit.

I'll put everything into place and then test how much I can reduce the lacing while

still keeping all the wires nice and orderly.

Excellent build. Cookie for you!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Looking better everyday! Keep the good work up.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This is looking awesome keep it up man :P

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Very nice build man! Loving the modding.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Excellent build. Cookie for you!

Thanks! *munch*

Looking better everyday! Keep the good work up.

This is looking awesome keep it up man :P

Very nice build man! Loving the modding.

Thanks guys, your support is much appreciated! :)

On another note: I've gotten some requests and questions regarding the cable lacing

and how I did that. I will definitely do some video tutorials on that, but for that

I need ZEUS up and running since I can't do video processing on my laptop.

Holy crap, I need to change my pants now.

In the name of the father, the son and the holy excrement, changeth thy pants, dear

son! :lol:

Reservoir Modding

The Problem

A few years ago (probably ~2007) I bought this nice little reservoir for my Eheim 1046.

It's a very handy little thing, and it's built like a bloody tank (seriously, you could bludgeon

somebody to death with this).

However, back then Aquacomputer had not yet fully jumped on the G1/4" train and was still

using G1/8" in many of their products (as they had since their inception).

This requires a rather ugly and unwieldy adapter when wanting to use modern fittings, such

as the lovely blue Monsoon ones I've bought.

The adapter itself looks like this:

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--01--reservoir-g18-

And with a fitting on it:

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--02--reservoir-g18-

The Plan

Well, it's quite simple really: Retap the hole to G1/4". However, this would leave me with a

slight problem: Naked aluminium exposed to the coolant. I will be using a corrosion inhibitor

in my loop, but I want to reduce the chance for corrosion to ruin the party by painting over the

naked aluminium and sealing the hole thing against the coolant.

Disclaimer

I'm well aware of what galvanic corrosion is and how it works (well, I'm not a chemist, but I have

a better grasp of it than most people I'd say). I'm not saying that what you're about to bear witness

to is a good idea or something you should necessarily try yourself. It's an experiment. If it works,

great, if not, I haven't lost anything since I have no more use for the reservoir anyway. But don't

anybody start panicking about corrosion please. I'm aware of the risks, I've weighed them and

I've made an informed decision to go ahead.

Protecting the Insides

Obviously we don't want to crash into the opposing inner wall with our drill.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--03--reservoir-prot

The Drill and Tap

The 11.80 mm drill bit with the G1/4" tap.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--04--drill-and-tap.

Improvising

The 11.80 didn't fit into the drill bit adapter, so I had to improvise a bit. The adapter actually

belongs to a Bosch pneumatic drill hammer, but that thing is way too powerful for this sort

of thing, so I decided to go with this configuration. It worked surprisingly well.

Naturally I didn't just drill the G1/8" to 11.80 mm, but first to 9 mm, 10 mm and then to

11.80 mm (a 11 mm drill bit would have been handy, 10 to 11.80 is a rather large step).

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--05--improvising.jp

Lubrication

I didn't have any actual lubricant specifically for this, so I just used some of the gun lubricant I have

laying around (both for drilling and tapping the thread). Since it's made for the high speed movement

of a gun action, it works very well for this.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--06--lubrication.jp

Tapping Hole

The 11.80 mm hole before threading.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--07--tapping-hole.j

Threading

And after cutting the thread. You can clearly see how thick the walls are on this thing. That's

why you need to lubricate very well. Otherwise the drill just blocks.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--08--thread.jpeg

Test Fit

As expected, much better. :)

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--09--monsoon-test-f

Protection

Alright then, let's paint that sucker! I did one coat of etch primer and two coats of paint.

Obviously I can't really do proper surface treatment within the thread, or put on too much

paint since it will just get stripped off by the fitting's thread anyway, but this should work

well enough to prevent the coolant from getting to the naked aluminium.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--10--covering-tape.

And on the inside:

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--11--covering-insid

Painted

The coat is pretty thick and has bonded nicely to the surface.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--12--thread-painted

Done

The Monsoon fitting hides the paint job very well, and it goes in and out without

strippint the paint off the threads (there were two small patches of paint stripped

off, but I've covered those with the Humbrol enamel paint and things are nice and

sealed now).

As you can see, the reservoir has sustained the occasional scratch over the years.

aw--zeus--2013-05-30--13--monsoon-fit.jp

Just seen this thread for the first time. I love quirky builds and this is no exception!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just seen this thread for the first time. I love quirky builds and this is no exception!

Yeah it is a bit unusual. Thank you! :)

Nice build! I'm loving those cables and your fan controller.

Nice build! I'm loving those cables and your fan controller.

On another note: I've found a nice video demonstrating how the reservoir is made.

It should give you a good idea of just how massively well made that thing is.

ffuuaaarrr, dat effort! This is amazing! Can't wait to see this finished

Wit is educated insolence.

I can't wait for the finished product! I really like your Helios build, and so far this build lives up to the "expectations"

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

My god its beautiful so far... only part that bothers me are the holes you drilled... they aren't straight and perfect :(

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

ffuuaaarrr, dat effort! This is amazing! Can't wait to see this finished

I can't wait for the finished product! I really like your Helios build, and so far this build lives up to the "expectations"

Thank you! I'm very much looking forward to continuing HELIOS, shouldn't be too

long now. 

This looks Badass!

Much appreciated! :)

My god its beautiful so far... only part that bothers me are the holes you drilled... they aren't straight and perfect :(

Thank you! :)

A legitimate complaint, yes. If that part were visible in the end I would definitely

do something about that (couldn't stand if that were the front place for example).

But since this will go into a sideboard in our living room nobody will ever see it

again unless they take it out, so I can live with it.

It's definitely a structural advantage though, noticeably stronger than a complete

cutout covered with a mesh (which is why I chose this path in the first place). If

I had to redo it I would ask somebody with a CNC machine to drill it, or at least do

it with a manual drill press. But with a free-hand drill there's no chance you can be

precise enough to get all the holes perfect (at least I can't).

By the way: A forum member on OC3D counted the holes, allegedly it's 1174. Considering

that I pre-drilled each hole, then drilled it out to size, and then deburred each side,

that makes 1174*4=4696 drilling operations. And then I painted it on both sides. :lol:

I am really excited to see the finished project! This build will look amazing!  :)

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

I am really excited to see the finished project! This build will look amazing!  :)

Thank you! :)

SHE LIVES!

I've put her together (yeah, I know Zeus is technically male, but whatever :lol: ),

and things are working so far. :)

There's still no W/C loop and it's all a bit temporary, but I thought I'd see if the

PSU and everything else works ok.

Currently I'm playing around with ZFS (via zfsonlinux, running Arch), trying to

figure out how to best organize my HDD's and set everything up the best way

possible. Since ZFS is so absolutely phenomenal (i.e. all other file systems

are ridiculously puny compared to it, and BTRFS doesn't count since it's not

production-ready at this point) there's lots of stuff to try out and experiment

with.

I have ~12 TiB of data to get onto this machine and store safely, so this

might take a while. :lol:

I will report more on ZFS' features and why I'm most likely going to stick with

it when I have everything set up and running properly.