alpenwasser

ZEUS (Fractal R4 | Blue/Black | Internal UT60 Rad) - by alpenwasser [COMPLETE]

Posted · Original PosterOP

I love this build.

As do I, thanks! ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'm so jelly

Thanks, much appreciated! If you really wanted to, you could build

something similar for quite acceptable costs these days. Use an AIO

instead of a full loop, leave out the HDDs if you don't need or can't

afford them, and the rest would be primarily a matter of patience

to get done. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Thanks, much appreciated! If you really wanted to, you could build

something similar for quite acceptable costs these days. Use an AIO

instead of a full loop, leave out the HDDs if you don't need or can't

afford them, and the rest would be primarily a matter of patience

to get done. :)

Yeh, but I firstly I have to finish Year 12 before I can do something like this, lol  :P

Yeh, but I firstly I have to finish Year 12 before I can do something like this, lol  :P

Long-term thinkign is always good. After all, I've been planning and

working on my other project (HELIOS) for several years now, and am

still not done. :D

Beautiful.

The mod was great, really put alot of radiator in the r4.

Really nice!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Is this legal?

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Beautiful.

The mod was great, really put alot of radiator in the r4.

Really nice!

Yeah, it is rather neat as long as you don't need any expansion cards.

I have seen people put a 360 into the front, but then I would have

needed to work some serious magic with drive cage placement, so placing

the radiator at the back worked out rather nicely in this instance. :)

Is this legal?

Sssshhhhhh... :ph34r:

@alpenwasser not as awesome as helios but still a really cool build  :)

Take it from someone who's in the same house as the systems at the moment: ZEUS > HELIOS ;)

Thanks, much appreciated!

And yeah, they are of course two vastly different builds, and HELIOS is just, well, HELIOS. :D

I must say I'm still extremely proud of ZEUS though and still love looking at it. It's not as

ambitious, but the execution turned out very much to my liking, so to speak. :wub:

EDIT:

perhaps I was wrong as I am about half the time

Haha, no worries, in the end this very much comes down to personal preference, there is no

right and wrong (at least not in my humble opinion). Aside from that, since MG has seen both

systems in person, it's quite a different thing than on the pictures, no matter how well you

try to photograph them, it's just always different in real life.

EDIT 2:

Oh, before I forget: I made a pdf of this build log to practice my LaTeX, for those interested:

http://alpenwasser.net/repository/files/zeus.pdf

Complete! (For Now ;))

Finally I'm pretty much done. There's still a few tiny details I might iron out once

I get the time (busy with HELIOS at the moment for the most part), but for now

I'll leave her as she is.

Overall I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out. I won't claim to be the

first one who's ever done a similar mod, but I'm the first one I know of, and I think

it's a pretty neat idea for my specific usage scenario. Not having to use any add-

on cards has allowed me to use the internal space of the R4 in a very optimal

fashion for the hardware I've put in this rig.

Some Niggles and Thoughts

I'm not 100 % happy with the back plate, and if I had to redo it I would either have

somebody CNC it or at least find a workshop where I can use a drill press, but

considering nobody's ever going to see it anyway I'm actually still pretty satisfied

with the result. And now that the black fans are underneath the holes and the holes

have been painted inside and outside the errors in the hole pattern are actually

much harder to spot and don't just jump out at you anymore (at least not with

me :lol: ).

Also, the SATA power cable sleeving is not yet perfect, but it's just so much work

to redo it that I might leave it as is nonetheless. We'll see, maybe I'll get so bored

at some point that I'll feel compelled to redo the sleeving on those cables. :D

The yellow on the pump is a bit of an eye sore as well, but I haven't really found

a way to repaint the yellow bits so that they actually look good, so I'd rather have

that factory-looking yellow than a horrible paint job on that. I'm considering just

painting the entire pump black, we'll see. It's not like the yellow is very visible, quite

the opposite in fact.

I must admit that the SP120's, even though they are the quiet edition fans, are

not really quiet and the fan controller I've made has definitely been a good

investment of my time. So with the fans turned down it really is a pretty quiet rig,

especially considering that the WD R4's are enterprise HDDs and are therefore

not exactly the quietest of drives.

Aside from that I'm very happy with the rig, I think it's a pretty nice little machine. :)

It's not perfect, but with the means I had at my disposal I think I've done pretty well.

It's also been a very good learning experience, and I intend to incorporate the lessons

learned into HELIOS (which is one of the reasons I completed this project first).

Temps

Temps are pretty good at the moment:

• Ambient temp: 23.7 C
  • Idle temps: 31 C, 31 C, 28 C, 27 C (four cores)
  • Load temps (BOINC): 44 C, 45 C, 43 C, 42 C (stock voltages)
  • HDD temps when CPU is under load: 41~42 C (RE4), 32~33 C (Red)
I will be overclocking this machine to some degree, but not too much. It still needs

to stay rather quiet. I will update with results when I have them.

Anyway, enough with the chit-chat.

(click image for full res)

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--01--complete-close

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--02--complete-open.

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--03--innards-front.

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--04--back-side.png

aw--zeus--2013-06-23--05--cpu-area.png

no gpu?! why????? Edited by alpenwasser
spoilers ;)

no gpu?! why?????

Because it's a media PC and file server. The integrated Intel graphics is completely sufficient and therefore buying a dedicated GPU would have been waste of money. ;)

Besides, I have a Titan in my main rig which I use for GPU computing, so that's where I go when I need GPU power... :D

I've also put spoilers in your post to prevent the page from being needlessly long.

Yupp. People should learn to edit their quotes.... and maybe read what usage a system has before posting questions. (they might actually find answers already included in that information)

Love the PDF idea alpenwasser. Could come in handy....for many reasons.  :D

Fractal Design Define R5 White/Window / Intel 4790K / EVGA Z97 FTW / EVGA G2 750W / Sapphire R9 390 Nitro  / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB / Corsair Force Series GT 240GB / Seagate Barracuda 2TB - HGST Ultrastar  4TB / 32GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2600Mhz DDR3 / Cryorig H7 Lumi Edt. /

Yupp. People should learn to edit their quotes.... and maybe read what usage a system has before posting questions. (they might actually find answers already included in that information)

Haha, it's OK. I've answered the question so many times by now it almost feels like a ritual. :D

Love the PDF idea alpenwasser. Could come in handy....for many reasons.  :D

Thanks, nice to hear. I got kinda bored of only doing project reports for college in LaTeX, so I thought I'd practice on something I'm a bit more passionate about.

Because it's a media PC and file server. The integrated Intel graphics is completely sufficient and therefore buying a dedicated GPU would have been waste of money. ;)

Besides, I have a Titan in my main rig which I use for GPU computing, so that's where I go when I need GPU power... :D

I've also put spoilers in your post to prevent the page from being needlessly long.

ah, ok that makes sense